Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #61  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Okay. Now I'm curious....Okay, I just googled it. (I should be studying new add ins for my workout tomorrow though)Seriously!? I... dunno...., Not really doin' it for me. But if it were a race I'd trip him so you both could catch him It's the unshaven face and snarly attitude isn't it? Come on...fess up...Although his caustic attitude certainly has some appeal I've already got some of that at home. I'm sure if I actually watched the series I would be drawn into the character like the rest of you. I'm hardly the exception in most cases.

Pat: I rely upon music on my iPod a lot too. Eyes closed and miles away. These days its the only uninterrupted "quiet time" I have to complete a thought. It 's amusing sometimes the places I end up.

Mel: I really hope you are feeling much better tomorrow. Sometimes the rain can cause all kinds of aches. Had it in my knee this morning too. Course my therapeutic run Saturday morning before sitting four hours in the car had nothing to do with any knee pain I've had this week. Hang in there.

Last edited by Lydia227; 09-09-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #62  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, everyone, from the Middle of Nowhere, NY, located a hop skip and a jump east of Podunk. Been a while, I know, but I'm still "here." Maybe life has settled down enough to be here here, instead of just here. If you know what I mean.

Won't even pretend to try to keep up with all the new goings on. So, I'll just pull up a chair -- hopefully one that isn't already occupied by a cat -- , grab a cup of coffee, and see what the day's posts bring.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #63  
Mel

Hi Kim Welcome back

Feeling about the same, except I've also turned into a food chomping slug. That's a sure-fire way to feel dreadful.

Dh and I are taking a long weekend in Virginia starting tomorrow. I think there are supposed to be thunderstorms for 4 days , but it will be a much needed rest from the real world. Unfortunately, ds is sick, and I'm not sure I can bring myself to leave even an 18 year old alone who is sick. As Pat said, it's amazing how bad some parents are.

I WILL go to the gym at lunch. I know I'll feel better even with a light workout.

Stretchy bands and gym clothes are being packed, and the hotel is supposed to have a "fitness center".

Have a good one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #64  
Kallos Sthenos

Kim: Hey, I was thinking about you the other day. Nice to see you post even from the Middle of Nowhere.

Mel: A childless vacation sounds wonderful. Sleep late every morning. Hope the "fitness center" exceeds your expectations. Otherwise you may need to find a local gym for a few days.

Interesting workout this morning. I decided to do more bodyweight exercises for the legs today. It was tough, sweat dripping heart pounding tough but yet somehow I don't feel like the deep muscles of the legs were taxed enough. Granted I missed the back squats this morning. Someone was busy doing those at the beginning of my supersets and when they were finished I just knew it would be unwise to do the squats at the end of my sets. I think I'm going to put this workout into my rotation once a week and just see what happens.

Back squat 4 sets 10 reps rest 60 sec between sets
SSI completed 3x

DB Stepups 10 reps
Jumpups onto the bench 10 reps

SSII completed 2x

Stepovers on the bench 15 reps on each leg
Hamstring curls on stability ball 15 reps
Side plank 1 leg raises 10 reps/leg

SSIII

Single Leg Glute Bridge 10 reps/leg
V ups on the bench 20 reps
Planks using the stability ball and the bench 60 sec.

Followed with 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical
Mountain climbers, crunches, superwomans, two sets of planks, back extensions, quad, glute, hamstring stretches and a couple of sun salutations.

~eh, we'll see. It was fun to try something new today. However, I'm not really feeling anything yet except the knee pain from probably the step overs and jump ups and that's not what I'm looking for.

Have a great morning everyone.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #65  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm excited! I've been working on my squat off and on for months but lately I've been working on flexibility and a variety of different workouts. One thing I regularly do is squat in front of a mirror to check my form and also see how low I can go. Today I was able to go lower than I've ever been able to go with good form. Now I'll need to do the same with weight and see how well I do. Maybe the basement walls should be lined with mirrors....

Mel - Have fun in VA! I know there are some wineries out there although I've never been, maybe you could check those out...
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hey Mel, Hope you're feeling better today. And I'm loving your positive attitude - gym bag packed and affirming statements. that, i'm sure is why you are such a great maintainer.

Lydia YOUR workout has been printed and stuffed in MY purse. Not sure I can do everything you do - YET - but it's a change from my regular leg workout which can be a bit stale at times.

Nelie - the mirrors really can be blessings. my new gym has mirrors all around the squat racks so I can check my form completely. I'd never been able to do that before. And congrats on hitting an all time low.

Hi Michelle, i'm assuming you have a cat that thinks it owns your place? I have one too. She thinks my lap is her chair and if I don't shut the bathroom door all the way, she'll paw her way in there and try to climb on my lap. Weird.

After scratching Midnight the Cat's ears for 5 minutes this AM, I finally got into the gym for chest and tris. 30 minutes on the treadmill (watching various new channels plus cheesy rock videos) then off to work. My relatively new skirt - bought it in July - is too big!!! Yay me! Still a lot more work to do, so no acting like I'm anywhere near mission accomplished.

Stay focused all!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #67  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
Hi Michelle, i'm assuming you have a cat that thinks it owns your place? I have one too. She thinks my lap is her chair and if I don't shut the bathroom door all the way, she'll paw her way in there and try to climb on my lap. Weird.
My cat does that! She doesn't otherwise sit on our laps really but if you are on the toilet, she is a definite lap cat.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #68  
Kallos Sthenos

Tiki: I wish that I could take credit for the new workout but I got from an online site. Actually a pretty decent one with video. If you would like to see what the exercises look like here's a link:

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/wor..._Work-out.html

I'm really only feeling a nice sort of warm muscle burn in the glutes and that's just about it. I'll give it a go a few more times and see if I can find something a little less high impact to replace the bench jumpsups. They were fun! But I kind of think that this is the type of exercise the doc frowned upon when scoping out my knees last winter. I'm also a little concerned about the stepovers and the positioning of the knees. Just be careful and go slow if you try them. The jump ups are fun because you are looking straight ahead and really have to propel yourself up to the top of the bench in an explosive movement. Really explosive for me because I'm short. It's really a "leap of faith" that you will land squarely on the bench the first few times too because you're not looking down onto the bench when landing.

Congratulations on the loose skirt. It's a bittersweet thing to grow too small for clothing but if your like me you probably have a smaller size of something you really like waiting in the wings.

Nelie: Awesome job with the squats! Personally, I can not watch myself squat. I'm grateful that our squat rack does not face the mirror, yet. They keep rearranging the equipment on the floor. They do it every fall during clean up. Fortunately, the free weight area has been left alone. There were a few mornings in which the lights of the basketball gym were turned off and I could see the reflection of myself in the large plate glass window in front of the squat rack. OMG. How distracting for me. I just couldn't find a spot to focus upon and kept losing my form. I was all over the place while at the same time trying to "see" what my form looked like. This isn't a problem with other lifts that I do in front of the mirror so I'm sure it was just the novelty of being able to see it for the first time.

Cats. I have a cat. She does own the place. But the bathroom is off limits. She has her's I have mine and we will not share. (She hates me anyway. She views me as competition for DH. )
Old 09-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #69  

thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I too am height challenged so I think I'll start jumping on a couple of stepboards and then work my way up. My clothing is weird. I have 8s, 10s, 12, then 16s and 18s. Not one single item in 14s which is where I'll be next so I'll either keep draping myself in 16s or squeeze into 12s but i REFUSE to buy the 14s.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #70  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
She views me as competition for DH.
Love it Lydia! We have two cats, and DH is their favorite human, hands down. Except of course when it come time to be fed. Then I rate higher than invisible..... One is a total lap cat, anytime DH is sitting (or lying on the couch) she's on him. The other not so much, but she's still young (just over a year) and likes to run around more then collapse wherever she finds herself, often in the middle of the floor! And if we latch the bathroom door, a paw appears under it and rattles it until you open it. Who is in charge here?

Kim - good to see you. Glad to hear that life has slowed down a little. Mine hasn't.

Mel - sounds like a fun weekend. I've been pleasantly surprised by some fitness rooms (and also the opposite!) I'm traveling to two different places in October, and one I know has a so-so fitness area, but does have a and a pool. The other, where I've not been, shows a photo of a decent setup on their website, and also has a pool. Both of these are part of what got me psyched to start swimming again.....

Nelie - I like to check my squat form in a mirror too. Since I'm still using a ball mainly, I have to be against a wall which is 90 degrees to the mirror, so mainly I'm checking my knees and feet - and not seeing my face

TOday's "exercise" will be a brisk walk to a work-related lunch (unless it's raining) and some body weight exercises at home after a meeting. Tomorrow I'll be swimming again.

Have a great day

ETA: Tiki, you snuck in while I was typing. How about a thrift or consignment shop for a few 14's? I always feel better when my clothing fits, no matter what size, especially at work. I don't mind slouching around in too big stuff at home, but at least in my position, I need to look professional and clothing that's too big or too small makes me uncomfortable.

Last edited by WaterRat; 09-10-2008 at 02:02 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #71  
Just Me

Anyone happen to use a HRM? I just ordered one and I'm excited.

I did 30 minutes indoor bike and 35 minutes elliptical and my elliptical gave me my HR but I can't wait until I can track my entire workout!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #72  

Nel - No matter what type of shape I'm in the HRM on the machines say i'm working WAY too hard so I don't even fool with them. In order to keep my HR where it "should" be i'd have to crawl on the treadmill like a baby. Let us know if the one you purchased varies vastly from what you see on the machines. I'm curious about those.

Mel, you're in my thoughts, hoping that yesterday went well.

Hiya rest of the gang. I did back - skipped biceps (bad Tika) and then did 30 minutes on the elliptical in the HIIT training mode. I've NEVER been able to complete this for 30 minutes but did it today!!! Woo hoo! Hopefully I can skip out of work early and get home. These 430 am workouts keep me on focus food wise but they make the day LOOONNGGG!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #73  
Just Me

Tiki - The heart rate monitor on my elliptical is pretty accurate because its a chest strap rather than through the palms. The HRM watch is also a chest strap. Congratulations on the HIIT mode on the elliptical. The mode I used on my elliptical is kind of like hiit but not quite.

I swam this morning and its funny when you are sweating/hot in the water. I would touch my face and it'd feel so hot and then I'd dunk it in the pool and it'd feel so cool. I have to say I love my swimming If I'm up to it, tonight will be NRLW workout, 1B.

Last edited by nelie; 09-11-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #74  
Just Me

Hey chickadees - any plans for the weekend? I did NRLW last night and noticed that my deadlift has improved quite a bit. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain and although Sunday will be sunny, DH is leaving on a trip and its going to be hot so not sure any outdoor activities.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #75  
Kallos Sthenos

Weekend Plans... If it doesn't rain I would like to take the boys to the Renaissance Festival. I think they would like to watch the jousting. I also want to get a ride in this weekend too. We had three beautiful days in which I could have gone but I needed to get caught up here first. I also have a ton of books to read right now. Nelie, I checked out the Women's Guide to Cycling you suggested in the Exercise Forum. What a great little book. Its quick and to the point and easy to reference. Thanks for the tip. I loved the part about things to purchase for the bike and for yourself. The idea that this is quite an investment and just get over it really resonated with me. I can't tell you the guilt I felt over this purchase. I'm better with it now. Oh, and the tip about the biking shorts, that you are not meant to wear underwear with them. One of my biking friends shared this with me and I keep reading that line over and over again but I just don't know if I can do that! I did buy the gloves though. They are pink and grey which match my lovely bike. Oh, and check out page 10 of her book. THAT'S MY BIKE! It's a women's Specialized Ruby.

This morning was a great workout! Nothing new added and I actually went back to my prior leg routine but I really was able to focus upon the movement this morning and there is such a difference. I think I am acclimating to these 5:30am workouts and able to focus as I did in the later morning workouts of the past.

Tomorrow I'm torn between doing an intense gym workout which is difficult for me to do during the week, not enough time..., a nice ride, and yoga at 11:30am. If I get up early enough...my dream would be able to get a day where all three fit in neatly but that's not happening.

Rest of the day is just plain busy. Hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!