Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all, Glad to see we all survived the summer with all those cookouts, vacations etc. that are pure sabatoge to even the best diet and exercise plans.

Nel - training for a triatholon is so impressive. I for one, will be sending you good training vibes all month long, in hopes that you surpass your goals.

Mel - skiing? It looks so fun, but I'm so afraid to try it. I hope you get onto the slopes or wherever else your new fitness hobby takes you. and I agree with Jam, knowig you, it will be LOCO!!!!

Lydia - morning sunshine. your bike ride sounds great! Nothing like blue sky, warm breezes and miles of trail. I dread having to put my bike up for the winter, even though it kills my every time I ride it.

Hi rest of the gang. Today is the first day of school for the crew so I dropped them off, then went to the gym for 40 minutes of cardio and my first weight lifting session since January. I did chest and tris; it was great!

I now have over a week under the belt of exercising and eating clean. I attended a tailgate on Saturday and brought plenty of healthy food in my purse to avoid the food traps. I did sample a few items; no more than a spoonful of 3 differnt things. At the end of the day, the hostess packed up all the baked goodies for me to take home to the crew. I left them there. I don't need them in the house calling me at 3AM.

My goal for September is to be able to run for 45 minutes straight, strengthen my lower back muscles to cut down on the stiffness and pain, and continue to stay wheat and high fructose corn syrup free .

See ya!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Who made the rule that short work weeks after a long weekend need to be soooo busy? I've been running all day, and here it is 5 pm and what do I have to show for it? I did get a new cell phone today - that must count for something.....

I have all my gym stuff ready to go to the gym in a few minutes. And I called the pool and got their lap swim hours. DH promised to buy me some new goggles on his errands today, so I'm nearly good to go swimming. Eating has been clean all day, and dinner is planned, so September is off to a good start for me.

Tiki - good job on the tailgating and exercise!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #18  
Mel

Yay Tiki!!!! One week of establishing new (old) habits You're on your way. Do you still coach cheering? You are going to need strength and endurance for that.

Pat- Days after holidays are MISERABLE! Sometimes it seems like it's not worth the holiday...nope, I need those extra days

Cardio done. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical then ran 2 miles on the treadmill. Hope My knees are still functioning by this afternoon. Guess I should take a pair of flats in case I can't walk in heels. Yesterday I went hose-les and have lovely blisters on my heels. I guess I'm an old lady, but I'd rather wear pantyhose!

Still mulling over workout options. Yesterday I went with a standard leg workout with some olympic lifts thrown in.

Have a good one,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #19  

Mel - I USED to love going barelegged - until my thighs started rubbing together. Can't wait to lose the thunder thighs so I can toss those abominations in the trash. Have you tried the hose that slip around your heel and toe tips but don't go up your leg? I bet you have AWESOME legs, and you should flaunt 'em!

Water - what temp is the water in your lap pool? Lifetime's is freezing! Not sure why it's like that.

Hi rest of the crew! Happy Wednesday to you all. I gave up coaching cheer once the Girl moved strictly to All-Star. Now I'm just a chaufferur.

I got up at 4AM, got in back and biceps (yes, I STILL hate working biceps ) and 35 minutes on the treadmill alternating running and walking. There was a young girl there at 430 also - couldn't have been more than 13, lifting weights with her dad. She looked like her pillow was screaming for her.

have a great one e'rebody!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tiki - Congrats on the clean week. Also I can say I'm training for a triathlon but it is obviously the very early stages. Kind of like someone saying they are training for a marathon when they are start c25k.

Not sure what exercise I'm going to do tonight, maybe kettlebells although I'd like to practice on my bike some more. Yesterday evening, I rode on my bike indoors for about 20 minutes, then did my NRLW strength workout and then stretched (mostly yoga style) for about 20 minutes. One of my new goals is stretching every day. Tomorrow morning is swimming again.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #21  

Default Question about sets

I was using the dip-assist thingy today (where you do dips but can cancel out however much you want from your body weight) to work my triceps and on the machine, right where I can read it as I do the dips, it says that it's not significantly more effective to do 2-3 sets versus just doing 1 to the point of muscle failure.

Everyone always talks about 2-3 sets. Does anyone here just do 1 set of all their exercises?

Thanks.
Transformer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #22  

I will only do one set on something new to check form, and see how I feel afterwards (read gym chicken :-) Otherwise I do 4 sets with 6 -10 reps. If I can do more than 10 reps, I increase the weight.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #23  
Just Me

I never do one set because I really consider the first set a warmup.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #24  
Mel

I usually do 3-4 sets unless I'm totally wiped out and it's getting dangerous.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #25  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey everyone

Tiki: The indoor pool temp my gym is really chilly too. I like to think it's to encourage people to swim in order to increase their body temp through exercise, but I'm probably wrong. Congrats on that clean week too! I'm doing better with the out of control hunger today too. As a matter of fact, I was so darn busy I missed my mid am snack, lunch and uhm dinner. I did sneak in an afternoon snack and a protein shake about an hour ago. It's really too late in the evening for me to eat anything else.

So, I woke up late and missed my morning workout out. Actually, I woke up about 45 minutes before the alarm and decided just to rest...next thing I knew it was two hours later. I must have needed the sleep. Fortunately, I did get a yoga class in this evening. Tomorrow is going to be bliss, I'm going in early while it is still dark and lifting just before the sun rises then I'm heading out with my bike. Who knows, maybe I'll actually find a spot outside to do some real sun salutations during my ride. I got a new fitted jacket, gloves, air in the tires and readjusted my seat for the hundredth time. I can't wait! Happy Happy Joy Joy. (anyone here remember Ren and Stimpy?)

Night all.

Last edited by Lydia227; 09-03-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #26  
Mel

Lydia- Even Superwoman needs to rest sometimes but too busy to eat?? Wow, you've achieved one of my goals. I doubt I've missed a meal in the last 25 years.

Yay Tiki on a clean week! Are you feeling more energy? Thanks for the vote on my legs- they actually do look pretty good for an old lady, if I do say so myself. Except for the endless bruises I haven't gotten any less clumsy in the last few years.

Nelie- Sounds like you are going strong, too. Here's a question out of the blue for you: do you know of any particualrly good day hikes around Winchester, VA?

Cardio done, food packed, chest and back at lunch. I actually managed to make my shoulders and abs sore yesterday. That hasn't happened in a very long time. I have a new tricep, lower back, abs exercise which I'll describe tonight.

Mel
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #27  
Just Me

Mel - Front Royal is 26.9 miles away, which is near where i've gone hiking (Shenandoah). I think there are some other hikes as well and I can check my VA hiking book when I get home.

I was exhausted yesterday and I decided to do some house cleaning because someone is coming over on Friday. Also, I noticed my wood floors have been looking a bit dull and I bought some wood cleaner I wanted to try. It did a pretty decent job. I only did a couple sets of kettlebells last night so otherwise yesterday was a rest day.

This morning I did 450m of swimming. My shoulders are a bit sore. I'm going to try to go swimming tomorrow morning as well. I may try to fit in some NRLW in tonight or something else.

I'm actually a bit amused at how my pants get tight, loose, tight and now loose again. It only takes a couple pounds. Since I'm on a roll, I keep thinking 'this might be the last time i wear these pants because they are getting big'. Its a good thing.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Hey groovy cats!

Nelie, congrats on the swimming!

Mel, I'm sure your legs look fabulous.

Has anyone heard from Meg? How is she doing?

Transformer, I do anywhere from 3 to 5 sets, depending on the exercise and my goals. But one thing I have noticed that helps me progress is this: While doing a set, I should be struggling at the 7th rep. If I'm not, it isn't heavy enough. It's taken me a few years to realize this. Sometimes I'll do one set of 12, then a set of 10, then 8, then 6, and then 24. Sometimes I will do three sets of 12. It depends, but that 7th rep rule has really helped me make progress. I hope that helps.

The weather here is cooling down and it is FABULOUS! I love autumn. The trees are just barely thinking about changing.

Cheryl, how are you doing? You are a big inspiration to me!

Lydia - I love Ren & Stimpy!!! I am so glad you love your bike. Isn't it just the best cardio ever?

I decided not to be upset about the grandmother comment. Especially since I got carded last weekend.

Tiki, I hate pantyhose, too. I don't mind working biceps, but working triceps has always been a painful chore for me. Now I am getting used to working them and they don't hurt as much. But boy.... upper body is always tough for me.

Gotta run - hello to all I may have missed! Hope you all have an awesome day!
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #29  

Lydia, sun salutations makes me think of Hollywood's version of ancient Aztec people bowing to the sun. Hopefully, you'll wear more than a loincloth and a couple of bead necklaces. Yoga sounds good. I'm thinking I need to add more of that to help with my lower back. It really is bothering me.

Mel, I'm so envious that you can get in weight training during lunch. The only gyms near my job cost an arm and a leg so if I paid to join them, I wouldn't have any limbs to lift weight with.

Great job Nelie. I'm glad you are able to toss the big pants out. I'm even more impressed that you got in housecleaning even though you were exhausted. I'd have been cuddling a pillow somewhere.

Hey rest of the gang - Friday is almost here!!!

I had the WORST experience with protein powder yesterday. I bought a tub that was about 1/2 the price of what I used to get, mixed me a glass of it, drank it down and spent the rest of the night lying still as possible so it wouldn't come back up. It was thin thin THIN and the consistency of it messed with me mentally. I'll try to mix it with oatmeal instead but if that doesn't work, I'll have to throw it out. I did shoulders and 40 minutes of cardio this AM. The next two days will be cardio only; i'm saving legs for Sunday when I have more time.

Have an excellent day peoples!!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #30  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
Lydia, sun salutations makes me think of Hollywood's version of ancient Aztec people bowing to the sun. Hopefully, you'll wear more than a loincloth and a couple of bead necklaces.
Where do you get this stuff? Yea, I won't be wearing any loincloths out there thank you. It's a bit of wind tunnel anyway. . So I got there about an hour later than I planned but still had a very satisfying workout and ride. I went to the gym for a 15 minute elliptical warmup, back and chest and a little abs. Changed into my riding pants pulled out my bike and went for a 16 mile ride. At the beginning of the ride I did stop at a little park to do the salutations. (no beads required) Great fun. Tomorrow will be an indoor workout early, with heavy legs.

Nelie: The swimming sounds wonderful. Keep sharing your nautical workout with us so I remember that I should eventually add this to my cross training too. For me though, there will be lessons involved first. Oh gosh, and while I was riding this morning I thought of you. THANK YOU so much for sharing the title of the book you are reading as well as the link to the website. I'm looking for this in my library next. (Love that place) I really want to learn all that I can about this bike for increased confidence and safety. Thanks again!

Denver: The grandmother comment...good let that one go. Obviously it couldn't apply to you if you are still getting carded. Although, I'll admit, its been a while since I've been carded. That's okay. If I'm actually ordering a drink, which is rare, I really don't want anything delaying the process at that point. I probably earned it.

Mel: About the missed meals, I truly do not want to do that on a regular basis. You know what the culprit was...coffee. MMhmmm. I made two cups to take along with me, dropped the little one off at preschool and the oil service light on my car went off. Since I had no one with me I decided to take the beast in. It supposed to only take 30 minutes with no appointment. It needed to have the tires rotated as well. An hour and half later I finished my mug and made another cup in the service waiting room. By the time I got out of there I was buzzing. Found myself in the grocery store when I suddenly recalled I needed to pick up shirts for the boys first. Drove past the store and went to Staples for supplies instead. ~sigh~ A friend called and then invited the young one over for a playdate which gave me extra time so I hit the remaining places on my list. Met up with a friend in the afternoon for an hour at the pool and then raced back home to pick up both boys. An hour remained between this and the yoga class. A good day, just a very busy one. I stuck with one cup of green tea this morning. Lessons learned. Looking forward to reading about your new workout.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote