Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #16  

Angry Thanks MrsJim

MrsJim - you are a WEALTH of information! I really do appreciate the time and effort you take to provide the information that you do. Are you sure that there isn't a librarian inside of you screaming to get out?

I copied out the info from the Bodybuilding Encyclopedia and I'm going to look for it at the library as well.

I just have to share something with you all that I noticed last night. I was lying on the couch watching TV and when I lifted up my leg to do a stretch I couldn't believe what I saw! Even though my flab was hanging off my hammies - I could see definite muscle along the top. I called for my husband to come and look and he was shocked (Actually he said he might want to give that BFL a try). I don't know what the individual muscles are called but you could actually see curvatures on the top of my thigh and they are rock hard! Of course nothing can be seen when I'm standing because all of the fat redistributes itself.

After seeing this I am sooo excited. I know that I am building some serious muscle. Now I know I have to keep those squats in the routine! I can't wait for the day that my bodyfat catches up to those muscles - it's a way off but now I know that there is something there to unwrap!
Old 04-04-2002, 06:51 PM   #17  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thunderheart - go to Amazon - here's the link http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...209528-6924064 - right now you can get a new copy in paperback of Arnold's book for $17.50 or used for less than $15! A small price to pay for a wealth of info.

Actually I do spend lots of time in the library! How'd you guess?

I can relate to what you said about noticing muscle popping out. It's also great when others notice and make positive comments - and I betcha you'll be hearing those right quick - if you haven't already!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:13 PM   #18  
Mel

Default Books

Thanks for the Amazon link MrsJim, I've been meaning to order Arnold for a while. Also ordered Dave Draper's Brother Iron, Sister Steel. Should be some motivation!

mel
Old 04-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #19  

Thank you for the link ! As soon as I get some money, I'm going to buy it as well. I just paid my first month's rent on my NYC apt ($2300) for this summer AND my CA mortgage is due. OUCH. If I could eat Ramen, I would!

Other than the large chunk of change that left my bank acct, today was a BANNER day. I am REALLY keeping self-promises. I'm always so tired that it can be easy to blow something off especially like a morning walk that is not part of BFL. But I have promised myself I would walk every morning that I don't have to be out at 6 am.

But I was SO tired this morning and I thought about just driving her to school but I didn't. I walked my daughter to school and it was a very nice walk. I knew I had to make some food as I was running out of steel cut oats concoption, chicken and rice (I try to always have some on hand).

I came home and had an MRP and made my oatmeal concoption but instead of putting in raw egg beaters and eggs, I whisked them around and added splenda and while the steel cut oats were cooking and popped it in the oven to make an egg custardy thing. After they got a little dense but not custardy yet, I folded in the steel cut oats and continued cooking, so it's more custardy now. I think that the timing is everything and I have to work at it but it tastes really good. I added some vanilla to the egg custard and then more splenda to the oatmeal and lots of cinnamon and it tastes good. I also measured it out and it's 100 grams of oats and I add 100 grams of protein (I think I added 3/4 tall carton of egg beaters, 2 real eggs and 1 scoop of protein powder). So the whole thing is 200, which is 5 days worth of breakfasts. That works.

I baked some chicken and threw some rice in the rice cooker. I added some garlic and other spices. When the food was done, I wrapped it up and then and shot out the door to the gym and did a killer leg workout. This is what I've been trying to accomplish for weeks now and I give out somewhere along the line. For a warm up I did the hip/thigh sled (sorta like a leg press but has a weight stack). 15 x 3 (change toe position) then change the weight and do 15 x 3, then another. Move onto the squat rack and do 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 with seated leg curl for the high point of 12. Then leg extensions for 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 with lunges as the high point for 12. Abductor machine for 5 sets of 12, then adductor machine for 5 sets of 12. Top off with vertical leg press. 130 lbs 15 reps 3 different postions then 15 reps 3 different positions on the calf bar.

YEOW.

I went to do abs after this and my legs were SHAKING. I have had this routine planned for the past few weeks and can never get all the way through it. I got close a few weeks ago but I was doing seated leg curl for the main exercise and squat for the high point. It depends on how crowded the gym is. Most days it is very hard to get close to the squat rack.

So I did my abs with shaking legs. I did 45 crunches and 45 reverse crunches. I pushed out some minutes on the stationery bike (about 4) and did some stretches. If I had had my bathing suit, I would have gone in the pool. It was that kind of day.

I thought about going to just go home and go to sleep but I had to buy food and EAT something. I went to the grocery store AND was able to drop off my dry cleaning and go to the bank and the postoffice. Those might seem like normal things but I am always too busy or too tired to do this.

I came home and ate chicken, brown rice and broccoli. Yummy. Now I'm going to relax in a jacuzzi and watch some TV before going to bed. (Can you tell my paper is DONE?????????)

I woke up with a list and I KEPT to it. Not only that, but in the morning I also stripped my bed and washed the sheets. My list has to include both exercise and non exercise otherwise I'll forego one for the other.

I feel so much better when I do things THIS way!!!

Thanks for listening to me blather.
Susan
Old 04-04-2002, 11:07 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default OMG!

Susanje - I am actually tired just reading your post! what a huge effort! well done girl - you rock!!!!

I know what you mean about self promises - I am only just beginning to realise the power of them - and sometimes my self promise for the day is to just go to the bank and the post office! I know that sounds ridiculous but I am very good at putting those little jobs off until I end up with a LOT of undone tasks! getting those small things done gives me freedom to concentrate on the big things. (and keeps my husband happy )

well GREAT UBWO today - Now that I am using the bench press - I feel like I'm venturing into the real world of weight lifting, instead of just puddling around. I'm also starting to cross the "I care too much what everybody else thinks" abyss. I know I'm not gorgeous in the gym, but I just focus inward and picture the future me - and carry on for all I'm worth!

now a confession - I have not been working my shoulders as a separate exercise. It started out as being because I just hated working them, and then I added "my UBWO is soo long" to the excuse list - and "but they get worked with all the others" is a popular one as well - And so now I just don't work them.
Bad, Bad girl!!!

Well I need to get ready - have a gig tonight (and a sore throat - hope I last the four hours of singing!!)

See ya
Carly
Old 04-05-2002, 12:11 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Morning all!

Susanje - all that AND law school too?!? Whew!!

I'm tired just thinking of my plans for this weekend - which include doing a bit more 'spring cleaning' - meaning getting some old clothes and stuff over to Goodwill. We also have a chair that we kind of want to get rid of. It's in pretty good condition but you'd be amazed at how incredibly picky Goodwill and Salvation Army are about what they take. I suppose the days of disabled people refurbishing furniture like in the old TV commercials are a thing of the past (there's a small seam rip in the seat cushion - I'd fix it but we just have no room for the chair in our place right now - I'm using it as a 'valet' which means I toss all my clothes on it...)

I actually did shoulders/calves/abs today...I enjoy doing shoulders - it's the back workout I don't enjoy all that much, but I do it (I think it's because I can't actually SEE my back when I'm working it!).

Here's my workout today:

Superset: Arnold Presses/Front DB Raises: 15 reps@10#; [email protected]#; 10@15#; [email protected]#; 7@20# (actually dropped back to 17.5 for that last set of front raises).

Superset: Incline Lateral Raises (Sit on an incline bench and let your arms hang straight down (perpendicular to the floor) and do regular lateral raises)/Reverse Incline Lat Raises (where you sit face down on the incline bench): [email protected]#; 12@10#; [email protected]; 8@15#

Rotator Cuff - 2 sets of 20 reps/10#

Rotary Calf Plate Loaded Machine: 20 reps@90#; 15@115#; 13@115#; 10@140# (I change my foot position with each set).

Seated Calf Plate Loaded Machine: 18 reps @ 90# (don't really enjoy doing these as the pad hurts my thighs - I'll probably switch to the calf sled next time).

Standing Calf Raises: 20@240#; 20@260#; 18@280#; 15@340#; 15@360#

two sets each of the following ab exercises:

Decline Bench crunches
Ball Leg Lift crunches
Bicycle crunches
oblique crunches
Bench knee-up with 5# DB

Hey Carly - Jim's band has a corporate gig coming up this month at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco - a great venue...right on top of Nob Hill (next to the cable car line). The guys are guaranteed $300 each for three hours of playing...we're hoping that this means more corporate/private gigs as that's where the real $ is...and he's got to pay off that equipment!
Old 04-05-2002, 04:08 PM   #22  

Default I'm not sure I can face knowing...

what a bicycle crunch is. But by the time Mrs.Jim gets a chance to post back, I'll be ready.

Here's my routine for C2, W1:

Monday - chest, tris, back
Tuesday - cardio, bis, abs
Wednesday- legs
Thursday- cardio, shoulders, calves
Friday - repeat Monday
and so forth.

By the way, I am a
librarian at a major state university. One of my sidelines is helping patrons research health topics online.

Like Susanje I slogged through an exhausting new leg routine on Wednesday that I thought had crippled me. But due to glutamine I was back for more!

Have a great weekend everyone. After a binge episode in March, I added a personal promise to avoid mindless eating (even on Free Day) for the next 89 days. so far I've gotten through 10 of them.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:31 PM   #23  

Default mmm.... steak!

I know its not the most normal thing to eat for breakfast - but I simply could not face another plate of scrambled egg whites, so it was steak and an apple this morning - My mother would have a coniption!!

you guys will be proud of me - yes - mrs squatphobia actually got the gym owner to show her the correct form for squats so she can do them in her next LBWO!!
This is kind of embarrasing but my stomach does get in the way a bit - but I really love the way they work my legs.
One thing I noticed though, is that my heels kept wanting to come off the ground slightly and for some reason I was doing a little bounce at the bottom. I think I will have another go without weights just to get my form correct. It takes a bit of practice to stick that bum out - we are so 'programmed' to keeping a straight back and keeping our buts tucked in.

Its like my singing students = part of singing correctly is diaphragm breathing which means your stomach has to go in and out as you breath, but a lot of ladies really struggle because they have been taught to hold their tummies in all the time!

Mrs Jim - I love those corporate gigs! tell Jim that if he wants to earn REALLY big money - he should get a job on a cruise ship. Entertainers earn HUGE money and get to travel at the same time - our band is looking into it at the moment.
I don't know about bass players, but last night I had to sing and dance for four hours - and I truly feel like I had a total body workout - it was awesome. AND - I noticed that I was a lot more energetic and less self concious on stage - thats a big step for me!

well the inlaws are coming over today - so I better run - catch you later. Carly
Old 04-05-2002, 09:34 PM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

Carly - The only problem with Jim doing a cruise ship gig would be taking time off work, but I guess if it was one of those short cruises it would be okay - and I could go with him! I've always wanted to do a cruise. Have you seen his website at www.the-sun-kings.com yet?

Right now he's in his studio practicing - even though he's in a Beatles cover band, he loves playing other stuff - in a Squeeze mode at the moment (remember them?). He's got one of his acoustic guitars out and is playing "Annie Get Your Gun" which is our favorite Squeeze song! Love it

Actually I don't believe I ever mentioned this. But I used to sing a bit as well, even though I am far from professional. In fact that is how I met Jim - at a musician's jam night in San Leandro. I got into it by doing karaoke with my first husband (by the time we broke up that was all we had in common) and got to the point where I won "Best Female Rock" at the Northern California Karaoke Music Awards (I sang "Whole Lotta Love" ) in 1993. But I had to get out of that scene as it is VERY cliquey and actually got very boring to me as well. Now, of course, I can't stay up past 9 or 9:30 pm so I don't go out much anymore! Oh well - I had my time of being foot loose and fancy free and I don't miss it much actually!

I just got back from the doctor's office from my annual appointment/Pap smear/etc. He was VERY impressed as he had not seen me since March 2001 (pre-BFL). I've been going to Dr. K since 1987 - so he has seen me at my heaviest...he went through my record and was so impressed, that I have actually lost 30 pounds of scale weight since 1999 (I ballooned up to 180 six months after my wedding - I was around 162 in my wedding photos BTW). Of course I HAD to do a bicep flex - he was MOST impressed...along with my resting pulse rate (around 50) and very good blood pressure!

Speaking of bicycle crunches (or the bicycle maneuver as it's also called) I just ran into an article about the best and worst ab exercises and the bike maneuver is RIGHT ON THE TOP. If done right you'll feel why... http://sportsmedicine.about.com/libr.../aa020402a.htm

Quote:
A recent study lead by Peter Francis, PhD, director of the Biomechanics Lab at San Diego State University, looked at a variety of common abdominal exercises in order to determine what really works. The study looked at 13 abdominal exercises, ranging from the traditional crunch to more complicated activities, using at-home and gym equipment.

Each of the 13 exercises was ranked for muscle stimulation (measured with EMG) in the rectus abdominus (the long, flat muscle extending the length of the front of the abdomen) and the internal and external obliques (the long, flat muscles extending along the sides of the abdomen at an angle).

The top three abdominal exercises were:
Bicycle maneuver
Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground. Put your hands beside your head. Bring your knees up to about a 45-degree angle and slowly go through a bicycle pedal motion. Touch your left elbow to your right knee, then your right elbow to your left knee. Breath evenly throughout the exercise.
Captain's chair I've been calling this the Roman chair all along!
This was one of the few on the "most effective" list that involves gym equipment. Start with legs dangling and slowly lift your knees in toward your chest. The motion should be controlled and deliberate as you bring your knees up and return them back to the starting position.
nch on an exercise ball
Sit on the exercise ball with your feet flat on the floor. Let the ball roll back slowly and lie back until your thighs and torso are parallel with the floor. Contract your abdominals raising your torso to no more than 45 degrees. To work the oblique muscles, make the exercise less stable by moving your feet closer together.

Among the equipment studied, the Ab Rocker, by Body by Jake, was the worst piece of equipment tested. The Ab Roller and the Torso Track were better than the Ab Rocker, but statistically they were not much better than the basic crunch. The best piece of equipment was a large exercise ball.

Full Study Results:

Best to worst exercises for strengthening the rectus abdominus:
Bicycle maneuver

Captain’s chair

Crunches on exercise ball

Vertical leg crunch

Torso Track

Long arm crunch

Reverse crunch

Crunch with heel push

Ab Roller

Hover

Traditional crunch

Exercise tubing pull

Ab Rocker

Best to worst exercises for strengthening the obliques:

Captain’s chair

Bicycle maneuver

Reverse crunch

Hover

Vertical leg crunch

Crunch on exercise ball

Torso Track

Crunch with heel push

Long arm crunch

Ab Roller

Traditional crunch

Exercise tubing pull

Ab Rocker
Here's a link on how to do the top exercises correctly: http://www.acefitness.org/updateable....cfm?pageID=51

Interesting, no?
Old 04-05-2002, 11:13 PM   #25  

Maybe Jim could play Cool for Cats for Sparky!

The bicycle crunch is one of the first exercises I ever did....back in GRAMMAR SCHOOL! I always associate it with jumping jacks and that sort of gym thing. Funny how it's actually effective! Jumping jacks probably are too!

As for me, I had a long day at Admitted Students Day at school. I was representing the older students (over 30) group since our law school is over 16% over the age of 30 (pretty good numbers for a top 10 law school). The "traditional" thing is to have candy and goodies at your table to entice people to stop by and chat. I brought girl scout cookies (a big hit) and everyone had candy at their information tables, there was a lot of food including pizza and every appetizer in the world and all of that.

I had protein powder and frozen fruit blended before I left home and then right before I had to start tabling at noon I had chicken and brown rice that I made yesterday so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat the goodies. I didn't eat any of it through the afternoon even though it was under my nose for 4 hours....but toward evening when I was getting famished, I did have some sauteed lemon pepper shrimp and rice and green beans for dinner...all schezuan style so there might have been oil but I was starving...standing by all that food all day didn't help. I should have brought more food to school but I thought that dinner was going to have more healthy choices. I might have gone a little off plan but who can tell? Anyway, it was one dinner and I didn't overdo it. I came home and had an MRP. I might be a meal off today. Since I've been doing BFL a while I don't always do a sixth meal, in fact most days I only eat 5, but I really hate when I get so far off I'm not sure how many meals I've had. I don't know whether or not to count the chinese food as two meals since it was a full plate full and not BFL portions. grrrrrrrr.

I just got a netrition package and I'm psyched. Little things mean a lot.

Hope everyone is doing okay!!
Susan
Old 04-06-2002, 03:14 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Checking in during free week

and definitely ready to get back into BFL! Seeing all of your workouts makes me anxious to get back to the gym.

As always, eating has been a challenge this week. I've always been an "on or off diet" person -- lost 50 or so pounds to get to goal on Weight Watchers at least three times, maintaining the loss for about two weeks! I planned to keep my eating pretty clean most days -- but so far have had only one decent eating day.

I'm psyched for two better days before starting next challenge, though. Then once the challenge starts, it will go well again.

Thanks to all of you for the inspiration to get back in gear and minimize the damage!

Carrie
Old 04-06-2002, 12:28 PM   #27  

Carrie,

I hear you. I hated free week. I ate clean for the first 3 days and even went to the gym but folks on L&S told me I really needed to rest after the 12 weeks and stay out of the gym. I started eating some forbidden foods on Day 4 and was a bloated mess by Day 7. Once I started eating, I couldn't stop. I became obsessed with food and all the wrong kinds. When I am doing BFL I am not thinking about food. When I am not doing BFL I think about food all the time.

It is so nice to eat the way I eat these days. Food is fuel and I eat every few hours to nourish my body. Without the sugar and fat I have no cravings and the balance of protein and carbs gives my body just what it needs/wants. Free Week=YUCCH. I am planning my challenge to end the week I move east for the summer. I figure I will be busy and need a few days to get settled and find a gym (I already found one but I want to visit first) and I have to have my hometown food when I arrive --bagels, pizza, Sabretts and egg creams. The reason I'm planning exactly what to eat and when is because I do NOT want to repeat last years mindless inhaling of every thing that isn't nailed down. I get ill just thinking of it!

As a person who struggles with cardio I am proud to report that I did 20 minutes of HIIT this morning and hit 9s and 10s on almost every sprint interval (well I warmed up for about 4 mintues and cooled down for about 2 so it was about 14 minutes of high intensity training). I am telling you, these shoes are miraculous.

I am eating my Free Meal tonight as I have a social function to go to and doing YOGA and LBWO in the morning.

I'm still feeling "WIDE" but trying to concentrate on the end goal and not the wide feeling.

off to study,
Susan
Old 04-06-2002, 07:11 PM   #28  

I just wanted to add something. I bought a giant container of Isopure Protein powder strawberry flavor from netrition. One scoop is 25 grams of protein and no carbs. So you can add your own carbs. This afternoon I added about 15 frozen strawberries and half the water of a usual MRP and it came out like a strawberry slush or strawberry dacquiri without the alcohol. Very yummy and will be a refreshing summer drink.

It is also cost saving. A container is 39.99 and if you only use one scoop per meal there are 44 servings which makes it less than a dollar a meal.

FWIW,
Susan
Old 04-06-2002, 07:12 PM   #29  

Unhappy food hangover

hi all,

yesterday my inlaws came over and I cooked a good meal - that we could just have a smaller portion of, but then I ate the dessert as well, and a piece of garlic bread (I LOVE that stuff), and then a little easter egg, and then another - and then this morning I woke up feeling DISGUSTING - Like I had a food hangover - WHAT THE **** WAS I THINKING????? - I know... the made me do it! yes thats right - it can't possibly be my fault, after all I would never treat my body that way would I, I mean I love myself, and respect my body, don't I?....

Man those old habits die hard!

Going to go for a long walk today - should go the gym and do some cardio, but I want to get out in the crisp autumn air and breath deeply, and have a good think about stuff.

catch you all later
Carly
Old 04-06-2002, 09:12 PM   #30  
Uber-Moderator!!

Carly - don't sweat it - learn and move on...we've all made those mistakes...

BTW, was it a real EGG easter egg or a candy one, such as Cadburys? just curious. Actually I can't stand those Cadbury eggs, although just about everyone I know loves 'em. My candy of choice is SEES. In my mind even Godiva doesn't touch it! (you can check it out at www.seescandies.com - it is THE BEST - I gotta say right here that one of the GREAT things about BFL and Free Day once a week is being able to seriously discuss stuff like chocolate candy without it being totally wishful thinking... )

I forget too that it's coming winter where you live. Even though it's been a week since returning from Miami, I still miss the sun and excitement and the turquoise blue water of Miami Beach. Jim and I are already planning on going again next year - hopefully there will be a meeting which means we can fly for free and stay most of the time for free - but instead of Miami my group might do Brazil next year...sounds like fun...Rio is supposed to be wonderful!

Susan - does Isopure taste as yummy as MetRx Pure Protein? Curious...Myo Lite Cap Ice is still my favorite but on Pam's comp diet (this next week is my last week but I'm going to start over - my plans now are to do a competition later in the summer so I have a chance to burn off more bodyfat - and I also want to SEE a live comp from beginning to end, the next one is the May 4th one in SF) I only get 1-4 Myo Lites a week! but I really like the egg white and oatmeal breakfasts though.

I'm so excited!!! Did I mention that JIM now wants me to watch his diet?? Right now he's having a nice salad with turkey breast that I made him at Draegers. Of course at work he has his 'girls' who love to give him treats - can't control that...but this morning he had Cream of Wheat and eggs for breakfast and that held him for HOURS.

I had such a great horseback riding lesson today...after two weeks hiatus, it felt so good to get back on Butch and canter around the ring. Dee Dee (my trainer) got a new horse in the stable while I was away. His name is Stormin' Norman and he is a beautiful 5 year old dapple-grey Arabian gelding of Russian decent. His previous owners mistreated him so he doesn't entirely trust humans - he has a great deal of spirit though. He has now become Jim's new favorite in the barn - he tends to gravitate towards mistreated and abused animals - and Dee Dee is encouraging us to spend a lot of time with him, to earn his trust. I can't wait till the day when I have my own horse though!

Time for me to have my meal #4...
Closed Thread