3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   August 1 - 15, 2008 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/147915-august-1-15-2008-a.html)

Mel 08-01-2008 07:11 AM

August 1 - 15, 2008

I 'm riding my bike to work! :bike2:

Leaving now...if you don't hear from me again, I'm a smear on the road

Mel

Meg 08-01-2008 07:18 AM

Whoa, I hope your route to work is a little safer than the roads I've been on in West Chester! Are you carrying your work clothes in your backpack or just pedaling away in your little Ann Taylor suit? :lol:

We're off to the beach for a week and I've already packed my resistance bands, 10# ankle weights, and ab wheel. I figure those with some body weight exercises should do the trick. Cardio will be iffy though since I can't run or walk for exercise. Maybe I'll rent a bike? Eating will be ON PLAN!

Have a great week! :)

NightengaleShane 08-01-2008 08:32 AM

You're riding your bike to work, Mel? That's AWESOME! :D

How many miles is it each way? *Crosses fingers for your safety - yeah, I know that is a bit of an ironic thing for me to say, considering I ride my bike to and from work every day, BUT I've gotten a little bruised, scraped, and banged up in the process - no major injuries, luckily - and just hope the same does not happen to you :)*

Lydia227 08-01-2008 08:44 AM

Got your helmet right?! :s: Have a nice ride Mel.

Yoga last night was great. I learned a new pretzel twist. I was shocked when I could actually do it. :lol: http://www.yogaartandscience.com/pbl...8de865-434.php

This morning I felt a little tight in the hamstrings so I went with a lite leg day again. Nice little run/walk series for 35 minutes and then 30 minutes of legs. I kind of had to economize my workout this morning. I woke up at 5:00am and needed to get back in time for DH to leave for work. :dizzy: Good thing tomorrow is Saturday.

Have a great morning everyone :coffee:

Tomato 08-01-2008 09:47 AM

Lydia,
Wow, that IS is pretzel all right!

Mel, how far do you have to bike to work? My office is about 13 km from home, which is not bad distance-wise but I would be afraid to get on the bike (unless I am off city roads) - I have seen too many accidents. Stay safe.

Meg,
enjoy your vacation.

nelie 08-01-2008 10:28 AM

Mel - are you wearing a skirt and riding your bike to work? That is impressive though.

Lydia - Go you!

Not much here, just checking in and saying I am alive and I love weights :)

jamsk8r 08-01-2008 02:46 PM

Mel, have a good ride!

Lydia, I've noticed you and some others mention doing something like your 95 for 5x5 sets. Is that pretty much the norm, to use the same weight for every set, or is there a special purpose to that method? I started with the NROL style, so I've been adding weight each set, like 65lbs first set, 70 second set, 75 third set, etc. Just curious if I'm missing out on something, since I've seen others mention it.

Midwife, congrats on the BF%! We need pics!

WaterRat 08-01-2008 04:08 PM

Hmm, riding a bike to work will be possible for me just about the time I retire! :lol: Seriously, the main road from my house to town is being rebuilt - widened, shoulders added, and - Whoo, hoo - a bike trail added. Up until now the road had minimal to no shoulders, and the "bike trail" was a dirt track about 6-8' below the road height, and very muddy and beat up from 4 wheelers. The new road will be lovely, but not finished until sometime next summer! I had to wait on flaggers twice in the 3 mile drive home last night.

Lydia227 08-01-2008 04:40 PM

Hey Cheryl. I don't know if the 5x5 is "the norm" but it's another approach. I've done the added weight to each set as well. In my case, I just got miffed that I wasn't able to increase my presses as much as I wanted to with the original 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps. Once I'm able to lift the 95 consistently with the 5x5 then I will attempt to increase the number of reps I can do in each set and change that as an endurance goal from a strength goal.

Mel 08-01-2008 05:52 PM

I made it back home again :)
Yes, I rode in my Ann Taylor suit, silk blouse, hose and heels :rofl: NOT! I wore bike shorts and a tank top. Since that was pushing "casual Friday" a bit, I had my work outfit in a backpack, which seemed considerably heavier at 5:15 this afternoon than it did at 7:15 this morning.

The roads around here are pretty dreadful for riding. Hilly, narrow, no shoulders. Also no traffic early in the morning, but coming home was much more exciting. Don't be too impressed, folks. The Toure de France this is not....It took me 15 minutes to get to work and 20 minutes coming home. I haven't ever clocked the distance, but I'll pay attention next time I drive. Unless it's raining on Monday, I'll do it again :)

No lifting today- I couldn't get to the gym :lol3:

Meg- Wave or drop in as you cruise by!

jamsk8r 08-01-2008 07:52 PM

Lydia, I was just asking about the practice of using the same weight for every set, as opposed to gradually adding weight each set during the same workout. I've been doing 4x8 on bench press, which I just picked because I was falling apart after about the 8th rep when I tried doing 3x10. (very scientific, huh?)

Lydia227 08-01-2008 10:25 PM

I think that I use the highest weight I can press when beginning because I really just wanted to be able to lift at that weight. If I did the beginning sets at a lower weight and saved the last set for the goal weight I just wouldn't be as fresh/strong for that last set. I would already be feeling the effects of fatigue for that final set. I could wait longer between sets but I'm rather impatient once I begin.

I do know that a lot of people do a warm up set first in which a lower weight is used. I have also noticed that my second set is usually much better than my first set as far as perceived strength. This occurs in my squat as well. It's kind of weird. During that first set it just feels like the weight of the world in on that bar and I can't imagine doing more than one set. But the second set feels much more controlled even if I am fatiguing by the last two reps. I wonder if its because by the second set your body is prepared for the pressure of the actual weight? Anyway, I think that your method is very scientific. :lol: At least I understand. There are strength goals where you lift heavier for shorter sets and endurance goals where you lift fewer sets but with more reps. Options are a wonderful thing. :D

sportsfreak 08-01-2008 10:51 PM

Hey all- well i have been out for a week due to gum graph in the mouth. My eatin is CRAP. Im HAVE to be on a soft food diet for 2 weeks. Most soft foods i now are CARBS need to figure out how to get my fat and protien in. I am drinking a shake at leat once a day and eating eggs.

Well i have decided to try taking some classes at my gym. Well i want to take a spin class. now i do do alot of biking but i want to ask you all what should i expect from this class- what should i bring. I'm really nervous to try it out.

Theres also a club boxing circut- whats that all about, any of you done it or heard of it.

Lifeguard 08-02-2008 01:31 AM

I do a warm-up set on my big lifts - squats, dl's, bench. I find it makes a big difference in my "strength" for the first real set.

Mel 08-02-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

I have also noticed that my second set is usually much better than my first set as far as perceived strength. This occurs in my squat as well. It's kind of weird. During that first set it just feels like the weight of the world in on that bar and I can't imagine doing more than one set. But the second set feels much more controlled even if I am fatiguing by the last two reps

That seems to be pretty true universally. I usually do warm-up movements- not necessarily the exercise, but moving the same muscles and particularly, the same joints. For example, if I'm doing legs, I'll start with a body weight matrix of squats, lunges and "high knees" or mountain climbers. The idea is to get blood flowing into the muscles, but more importantly, get synovial fluid into the joints. As we age, there is progressively less synovial fluid and it acts like oil in an engine- gotta have it flowing!

Sportsfreak- I love spinning classes but without bike shorts I suspect you can expect a sore...butt! Try to find a pair of padded bike shorts. They cost a small fortune in bike shops, but I found that Marshalls and TJ MAxx have them if you are lucky, for 10-15 dollars. Worth every penny!

I'm spending the weekend cooking, cleaning, and have a chest and back workout planned for today, and legs tomorrow.

I found a great site bikely.com that allows you to map your bike rides and see the elevation changes. Im going to try and paste in the elevation profile: ShOOT! can't copy a flash player fusion chart!

Anyway, it's cool. You could certainly also use it for runs or walks.