lifting and weight gain

• i've started a new lifting routine lately... last night i didn't get it in until just before bed... so this morning when i woke up i went through my normal routine, which includes weighing myself, i was kind of shocked to find that i'd gained 1.4# since yesterday! is it just a hold over from working out too late last night?
  • Yes, probably from your muscles holding onto a little extra water which they will use to repair themselves. In fact, it's not unusual to gain and hold onto about 2-3 lbs when you start lifting. It will eventually go away as you continue to eat right, but it's your body doing what it needs to do. It's not fat though, so even though your scale is up, your clothes should fit better. You could probably resolve to stay off the scale for 3 weeks and make yourself much happier!
  • thanks! I thought it might be... but it's always better to double-check I know I can't stay off the scale for 3 weeks... but I'll cut myself a break for the next several days.
  • Hi Dancinggirl!

I am a daily weigher so I have learned when to expect the scale to bop up after lifting----for me it peaks the second day after lifting. This is a normal fluctuation, and like Sportmom said, it is not fat.
  • And when I do a big muscle group like legs and butt ... it's over two pounds sometimes.
  • Me, too! Like midwife, it seems to be higher the second day after. Today is that day for me, and I'm up 2 lbs, though I've had it be up as much as 3-4 lbs.