Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #16  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Happy Friday everyone!!

Hey - I found a great new diet...it's called the flu diet! Really though, wow did I have a nasty bug that knocked me out for a few days. I'm just starting to feel back to normal. Needless to say the workouts have been zero but then again the food intake was zero for a couple of days. I could not put one thing into my mouth other than some juice. So the scale plummeted but is, of course, coming back up.

Anyhow, I promise to get back to a good exercise week next week and I'm always up for a challenge!

I hope everyone has some fun weekend plans and better weather than we're having here right now.

Nice to be back....
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Here you go, Nelie.

Last edited by WaterRat; 05-02-2008 at 06:58 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #18  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I did 3 hours of lawn mowing today...I think that should count, Mel!

I'll have to think about my challenge when I have more than 2 brain cells to rub together. Is this going to be here, or over at the Maintenance forum?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #19  
Mel

Great leg workout this morning and I have 6 Perfectly on plan food days in the bag. Yay me

Here's my new exercise which I think might be the MOST compound one I've ever done. Not for injured knees or shoulders, tho!

Back Squat-press to front squat clean and press

Start with a bar across you shoulders and do a normal squat (warning: I was doing this with an empty 45 pound bar and was tired after 10 reps). As you come up, press the bar up into a military press. Now bring the bar down to front squat position, and as you descend slowly (or before descent). lower the bar to where your arms arm hanging completely down in front of you. Do a complete, deep squat and touch the bar to the floor. As you come up, do a clean, pulling the bar up to front squat position then press at the top of the squat. Lower the bar behind your head onto your shoulders and that is one rep. Getting the whole sequence smooth and remembering where you should be in the sequence takes some practice. My workout partner stood behind me shouting out directions

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #20  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nice one, Mel...ouch! I won't be doing that today, since my knee is not right, but will save that one for later!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #21  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
My workout partner stood behind me shouting out directions Mel
Yeah, I bet she did! Wow. That would take some focus before the movement seemed to be automatic. Great sequence though. By the way, everything at Lindy's is caloric free. I checked. Enjoy dinner. If you need to get into a gym so that your conscience is free after that meal let me know.

Boy, looks sure are deceiving and it is all a matter of perspective. I came home this morning after my workout while DH was preparing the kids for their cub scout camping trip today. (pouring down rain all day and t-storms tonight) Anyway, I chose not to shower and change at the gym so that I could be home in time to say goodbye to the boys before they left. DH doesn't see me very often after a workout without a shower. I was covered head to toe in wet clothes. Not a dry spot on my shirt and my hair was pulled back in a headband and soaked through. He looks and asks, "Good workout?" expecting for my answer to be a yes. But it was a humph kind of workout. I don't know that happened but after my cardio session, 55 minutes on the ATM I just didn't feel like lifting today. Now for some people 55 minutes of any kind of cardio would be a good workout. But it is a matter of perspective. I so wanted to enjoy lifting today. I had three days off so I really shouldn't have been too tired to dig right in, but I just didn't have it in me today. Maybe the dreary rain has something to do with it. Or the list of crazy obligations coming up this week are weighing on my thoughts I don't know. What I really wanted to do was dig into a a carton of ice cream and then take a nap. I did half of that. Guess which half. Nope, don't keep ice cream in the house but I did collapse on DS2's bed and napped for 45 minutes. ~sigh~ Tomorrow is another day.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #22  
Mel

Lydia, PM coming your way....
Old 05-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #23  
Meg

Mel, will you come to Pittsburgh and shout directions at me? I don't think I could do this on my own!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #24  
Mel

Meg, you are exactly two hours from Columbus. That's not too far to drive for a workout is it? I'll even buy you a cup of Starbucks
Old 05-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #25  
Meg

Ahem, that's two hours the way that YOU drive. A bit longer for those of us using Warp One.

But for Starbucks and a workout ....
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #26  
Mel

Seems to me that when we drove it together, YOU were driving and I was snoozing in a Nyquil induced haze.

I'll buy you two cups.

Mel
Old 05-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Ok - so we're picking our own challenges? Do I have that right?

Here's mine: To get a handle on an appropriate weight training workout for this trimester.

I went yesterday - had a great workout but feel terrible today, sore everywhere, bloated, ick. I think I pushed a little too hard. Problem I'm having is there is very little information out there for those who want to continue at all seriously with their workouts through pregnancy & my doctor is obviously a dunce on the subject. Everything seems to be geared to those who either didn't workout or rarely worked out. Sigh!

Lydia - I don't think I could ever do my cardio first! I'd have to do a complete costume change to continue I sweat so much!!! Good for you for taking a nap - sometimes they're the best things for you!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 61.5/61.5/53 kg=136/136/117lb

Height: 1.63m (5'4")

Challenges are good.

I joined a new, bigger gym, very close to my house, and I'm getting a couple personal trainer hours. I'm really excited about that. There is so much I want to try out at this new place that just that should keep me busy for a couple months. So my new challenge for now is to try out anything I think I may like and find out what I enjoy the most.

Today would be a wonderful day to go to the gym, but I went to a bodypump class on Thursday, and I'm STILL so sore that I can't walk properly because it hurts! I thought today (third day) would be better, but it's not. I'm hoping I'll be able to move like a normal person tomorrow, but my hopes are not too high. Ouch!
(Someone please tell me it will go away? )

I may be but I want to go to another of these classes as soon as my muscles allow. I want to be able to get through them without shaking after I don't know how many squats and without walking out as if I was racewalking because my legs wouldn't move like they should.
lalala123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #29  
Mel

Day 8 of perfectly on plan! I tried on my dress this morning and it's still too tight, but less so I will be wearing it this summer!

LG- That's a perfect goal...along with a healthy, safe pregnancy

Mel
Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Lalala - the muscle pain will get better as your body adjusts. One of the most valuable things I learned from one of my trainers is that movement helps. I had done his bootcamp class & was just dying - could barely move - so I called to say I was not coming to the next class to recover (it was a small class) & he told me to come & that if after the warm-up I was still sore I could leave. Well, you know, I finished that class & wasn't nearly as sore the next day.

Thanks Mel! I think I should be able to find a good balance that will help me maintain my current strength level & prepare my body for the demands of childbirth. I must admit I'm already itching for it to be done so I can get back at it good & hard in the gym!LOL
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote