3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   What's your HIIT? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/137782-whats-your-hiit.html)

sportmom 03-22-2008 09:07 PM

What's your HIIT?

If you do it, what's your HIIT routine & how many times a week do you do it? Just curious, not trying to compete, as I know it's different depending on your fitness level.

For now, I'm trying 1 min sprint runs of a speed of 5 every 5 minutes on my treadmill. After the 1 minute I do a brisk recovery for 4 mins on 3.5, and then repeat.

What's yours? And how often do you change it up if you've been doing it for awhile? I used to do just walking and my treadmill would handle cranking up the incline and speeds for me on a predetermined sequence, but I decided I wanted to challenge myself with run sequences.

OnlyMeantWell 03-22-2008 09:15 PM

I do 3 minutes on the elliptical at about 5.0 then punch it up to above 7.5 for 30 seconds, then repeat. I applaud you for being able to go full blast for 1 minute..that's really hard!

sportmom 03-22-2008 09:36 PM

Well, thanks Only, but you are already running the whole time aren't you? That's my goal at some point - to run for 20 mins straight. I figure it will take about 10 months to get there, but that's cool. The c25k program was too rapid for me. Hope that I can see good weekly gains and increase by :30 every week, but not sure if that will be possible doing it 3x week instead of 6x week. I should probably do the HIIT 3x and steady state, or just the walking hiit which isn't as chest clutching hard, the other 3x/wk.

WaterRat 03-22-2008 09:39 PM

Hmm, I have a couple that I use on the elliptical. Most of the time I use the C25K podcasts. Week 2 has a 5 min warm-up then 6 cycles of fast for 90 sec, walk (or slower; he calls it a brisk walk), followed by a 5 min cooldown. I love that he tracks the time, but I'm not crazy about the technorock music. :) Otherwise, I have a playlist of country music, all quite upbeat, and all with a chorus. I use the chorus for my faster cycles. It's not as scientific, but on the days I get into the music, it's intense! If I believed the HR on the machine, my heart should have exploded out of my chest long ago! :rofl:

Depalma 03-22-2008 09:40 PM

I rotate HIIT with slightly lower intensity Anaerobic Intervals

For HIIT, I'll do:
Tabatas on the bike. 20 seconds all out, 10 seconds easy. I really can't handle this for more than the traditional 8 rounds - 4 mintues.

I'll do some 30 seconds all out, with 1 min easy recover. This I do for about 15-20 minutes.

Occassionally, I'll do 30 seconds all out, with 1.5 min easy recovery for about 1/2 hour. I do all my real HIIT on the bike or sprinting on a track because that is the only time I can really go all out. I just don't have the coordination/guts to jump on and off a treadmill that is going at an all-out rate and if I were to manually adjust the speed while moving, then by the time I adjusted the speeds, the work interval is half over.

For Anaerobic intervals, I let heart rate decide the speed.

I go 1 minute run at which I must be at least 160 bpm by the end. (age predicted max heart rate 175). If I do not get to that HR by the end, I raise the speed for the next work interval. I do 2 minutes recovery at a walk. I want to recover to between 125-130bpm by the end of the rest. If I don't fully recover to that range, I drop the speed for the next recovery interval. If I recover below 125, then I adjust the speed up for the next recovery interval.

I do similar with 1 min to 1minute work to rest and 2 min to 1 min work to rest. With the 1:1, I use heart rates of 155 and 130. For the 2:1, I use 150 and 130. I do these for a minimum of 30 minutes, not including a 5min warmup and 5 min cooldown, but have gone up to a maximum of 1 hour.

Steady state, I usually do on the elliptical to give my joints a break from the treadmill. For steady state, I try to keep HR between 130 and 135 for 1 hour. I'll usually rotate, 1 day of intervals with 1 day of steady state.

Heart rates are established by my heart rate monitor and not the machine

baffled111 03-22-2008 10:38 PM

I always do the running on the treadmill. I alternate 1 min walking at 3.5mph and 1 min sprinting. I increase the speed pretty regularly. I'm up to 9.8mph with my sprints at the moment and my HR gets all the way up there by the end of the minute (to about 93% of my statistical max.)

I've been thinking I should try the tabata-style intervals, with just 20 seconds of all out sprinting, but I'm ambivalent about it. I'm not sure how fast I can actually run, even for 20 seconds. I should probably try it one day.

OnlyMeantWell 03-22-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportmom (Post 2112433)
Well, thanks Only, but you are already running the whole time aren't you? That's my goal at some point - to run for 20 mins straight.

I was thinking about this the other day...

When I get on a treadmill and try to go anything above 4.2ish I absolutely die! When I get on the elliptical I swear I can sometimes get up to 8 or 9 even and keep it there for my 30 seconds, and then decrease down to a steady 5.0-5.5 or so. I swear, on the elliptical it does not feel like running, maybe it's because I can use my arms as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this???

lalala123 03-23-2008 07:10 AM

I tried HIIT yesterday for the first time. :D
I went with 4 min at about 5.0 - 5.5 km/h (3.1 - 3.4 mph) and 1 min at about 9.0 - 9.5 km/h (5.6 - 5.9 mph). The 4 min were too long, though, I could have made those intervals shorter.
While fast walking I my heart rate (I have a monitor) went down to about 130 bpm, running made it go up to 170 bpm (max according to age (220 - age) is 197, according to the second calculator here 192 bpm).

I did this on the treadmill, but I think I'll try something else today, because having to manually change the speed is annoying.

I'm thinking about just using the HR instead of looking at the time - maybe slow down until HR is at 130, then go up again until it reaches 170, then down again, etc.
This is still very new to me so I'm experimenting. :D

Meg 03-23-2008 07:30 AM

I do cardio every day and HIIT about five of those. Due to my knees, walking and running are out and I can't elevate my HR enough on a bike, so it's always the elliptical.

I go by HR and tend to average around 90% of my (theoretical) max for the half hour, with four or five peak intervals around 98 - 100% of (theoretical) max (I know HR formulas are just a guess, but I use them as a way to gauge where I'm at). I tend to keep my speed constant around 170 strides per minute and change the resistance in order to elevate my HR. My intervals are usually two minutes at high intensity (one minute forward and one back) and four minutes at 85 - 90% (two minutes forward and two back). I also change the incline of the crossramp every two minutes.

By the way, HIIT is impossible without music!!

KatieK 03-23-2008 08:54 AM

I've been doing my HIIT for about 27 minutes and with the rest ss cardio up to an hour on the TM.
However I think it is too much as I had to take a day off because I had pain in my tendons or ligaments behind my knees, or maybe it's part of my calf muscle--I am not sure. At any rate it is not the knee joint itself.
I tried icing but that did nothing.
My husband gave me Reiki on that area which did help.
I read in Craig Ballantyne's TT manuel that he says not to do more than 6 high intensity intervals so I really think I need to cut back.
I was doing more time because I know at 6.4 miles an hour I am not up to my highest intensity.
Since I really love cardio I never wanted to get to the place where I hated it so I am increasing at .1 a session.
Started at 5 miles so I feel pretty good that I am up to 6.4 ( in a month) with a 3.5 recovery. 1 minute/2 minutes.
However I am so hung up on cardio numbers and even though I am doing 3 sessions of pretty intense ( for me) WL a week, I feel I should be doing an hour a day of cardio on my 3 cardio days.
But since I am not going for any more weight loss, I am going to try cutting back on the cardio even though I love it:(.

Depalma 03-23-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieK (Post 2112725)
But since I am not going for any more weight loss, I am going to try cutting back on the cardio even though I love it:(.

If it's something that you love, why cut back?

baffled111 03-23-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalala123 (Post 2112650)
I did this on the treadmill, but I think I'll try something else today, because having to manually change the speed is annoying.

This is pretty annoying. 2 of the treadmills in my gym enable you to key the in speed and hit 'enter' rather than pushing the arrow key repeatedly, so I use those treadmills when doing HIIT. The college gym, which I do NOT go to, has these fancy treadmills with programmable 'walk', 'jog' and 'run' buttons. So you get on the treadmill, enter your speeds for walk and run, and then all you need to do is tap the right button when you are ready to change intervals. So cool. I wish my gym would get treadmills like that. :(

Btw, does anyone else see people doing intervals in their gym? I am literally the only person I have ever seen doing HIIT in mine.

JerseyGirl69 03-23-2008 01:11 PM

Treadmill: 2minutes at 3-4mph, varying incline from 0-5 alternating with 6.0-7.30mph varying the incline, going for 10-20 minutes

Arc: Hill Interval, level 5-7, varying stride per minute at 110-180, 2 minutes low, 1 minute high, 10-20 minutes

Row: varying strokes per minute from 29-42 2minutes slow, 1-2 minutes fast, for 10 minutes

AMT: 1 minute strides, 1 minute steps

WaterRat 03-23-2008 01:15 PM

I don't see a lot of folks doing HIIT either.

But I want to bow to Meg for doing intervals backwards - yikes! Of course, I've just recently tried doing any length of time backwards, or without any holding on....

My max theoretical heartrate is only 157, and I regulary hit 150 - hence the exploding heart statement above. :)

KatieK 03-23-2008 01:36 PM

Depalma I don't want to cut it back, but I just posted in a new thread that the back of my knees ache--that's what made me think I should cut back --now I'm wondering if I should stop for a few days.
I HATE stopping but I'm afraid of making it worse.:(
This all started with HIIT sprinting and I know I am not going that fast even.
I never had any problems power walking.
But when I started the sprinting my calves hurt; I stopped for a few days and they got better.
Now 12 days later I've got this achy feeling behind my knees --it's not the knee joint but the muscle, tendon or ligament? Not sure which.
I took a day off HIIT and then did UBWL though I warm up on the TM.
Today is my regular day off, but the knee ache is back.
I'm supposed to do HIIT tomorrow and then LBWL with squats, lunges and deadlifts but I'm afraid to make it worse.
Should I just stop till the ache is gone?