Ouch!!

• Yesterday I took two 5lb weights that I have used before, layed down on the floor and pushed them up and down, out to the side and back over my head about 5 to 8 times each. Today I can't believe how sore I am after that little bit. How do you ease in to weight training?
  • In the "stickies" is a thread on getting started, as well as some others with exercises and articles. Also a good place is Krista's Website Basically, it's really really easy to do too much the first time, so you do have to ease into it, but you should expect to be sore - but not in pain! - it's a good thing!
  • I think the first time any time you start or restart is going to talk to you the next day. If you are in pain and not just sore, you might want to use a 3 lb weight the next time until you can do that without pain, then go back up to the 5's.
  • I don't really know if there is such a thing as easing in to weight training...lol. If your a bit sore that probably means your doing something right, if it persists maybe take it back a notch or see a trainer to help you figure out the right workout for you.
  • IMO, sore muscles are good...pain is not. There is a difference which you'll be able to discern.

I did a leg workout yesterday- I've been doing them for seven years- and I'm sore. I know I worked, my muscles were tested, and I'll recover.

Give yourself some recovery time and you should be fine.

Mel
  • Thanks, all!!!