Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #76  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
delurking for a quick question....

Is the NRLW program okay for a beginner? I've lifted exactly once (last night).
Nevemind, Barnes and Noble emailed me a coupon this morning, so I went and got the book at lunch.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hey Dixie!!!! Welcome!!! So glad you jumped over here. I think NRLW would be fine for a beginner and a great resource for you to get started the right way. THere are many others out there as well, so feel free to run any titles by us that you want to.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #78  
Working My Way Back Down

Ditto on the colonoscopies! I've had 2 and both times had polyps removed. Soooo much nicer than finding worse problems later! Same with mammograms. Being proactive is much easier in the long run!

Welcome Dixie! I think NRLW is good. It shows all the exercises really well, and you can start with whatever weight is good for you and make good progress. It also suggests modifications or alternative exercises for some things. I'm trying to get my DH to try the men's version. He doesn't really like WL - but I'm working on him. He is in remission from a cancer that depleted the calcium in his bones and left him with ostopenia, and while he has built up his bone density, I'm sure that WL would increase it more. He does plenty of cardio, and like many active guys is quite naturally pretty strong - way more than me anyway.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Archy - you must be a glutton for punishment: squats, lunges, deadlifts & step-ups all on the same workout!!! No wonder you are sore.

I am reading the NRFLW & finding it very informative. I must admit I'm not yet at the actual workout just the info beforehand. My DH is interested in it too & I think he is going to read it after me - lol.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #80  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Baffled, my ticker is from my low weight... (10 lbs ago). I will get there again.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #81  
Mel

Archy- That's my kind of workout so I sure know that kind of sore do you find the creatine helpful? I always avoided it after seeing two women who had horrible water retention problems while using it. Have you tried using L-glutamine? It helps with cell repair and also seems to help with bronchial immunity.

Anyone else use creatine or glutamine?

baffled- Your back must be much better if you are doing one legged db rows. My turn, tomorrow. Try doing them on the flat side of a bosu- gives you a bonus hamstring, ab and calf workout

Welcome Dixie and Beachbound again! Beach, I also have fibro and feel MUCH better when lifting regularly and eating clean. Now if I can just remember that when I open the refrigerator

I did a whole session of planks, wood chops, incline crunches,more planks. different more planks, reverse planks, and 1 set of clean and presses. Planks on balls, plank on ball and bosu, planks on ball and bench...one foot, two feet...and the famous OOPS! no feet. My abs are already sore.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post

baffled- Your back must be much better if you are doing one legged db rows. My turn, tomorrow. Try doing them on the flat side of a bosu- gives you a bonus hamstring, ab and calf workout

I did a whole session of planks, wood chops, incline crunches,more planks. different more planks, reverse planks, and 1 set of clean and presses. Planks on balls, plank on ball and bosu, planks on ball and bench...one foot, two feet...and the famous OOPS! no feet. My abs are already sore.
Mel, you really are a masochist! One legged db rows on a bosu? I don't think I'll ever have that kind of balance! I might be able to pull off one or two reps with really light weights, but I can barely pull off the set on the floor! But yeah, my back is much, much better. Good as new, really.

Also, that plank session sounds dreadful. Those things (just the plain old version for 60 seconds) completely wipe me out!

I think I've contracted a new deadly disease this week. I don't know what the official medical name for it is, but the street name is Out of Control All-Consuming Ravenous Hunger. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm STARVING. Constantly. No matter how much or how often I eat. I'm eating maintenance calories (though not logging my exercise) and I am bewildered at how I can possibly be so damn hungry eating 2200 well-spent calories a day! (Well, about 250 of those will be for wine, but everything else is very sensible. My macros are even spot on today (40/30/30). I'm hoping this disease is temporary. I can't bear it.

Last edited by baffled111; 02-07-2008 at 07:41 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #83  
Meg

Could you be ... pregnant?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #84  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Okay, while we're on the topic of colonoscopies, they are really not that bad. I wouldn't even blink if I needed another one, it was that simple. I had one fairly young due to other health issues that leaned toward colitis so I got checked out. Having the right doctor makes all the difference in the world. And I wanted to take the anastheseologist home with me, he was that good! I was up and out of there within an hour and felt fine. Stopped at Starbucks on the way home even. If anyone in Toronto needs one done, I'll point you in the right direction.

The snow finally stopped here. Yes, they did call in the army once. I think that was 1999 and I definitely remember that. It has been a weird winter and I don't remember so many heavy snow falls. At least it was sunny today.

I'm still loving the NROL but I haven't put quite enough time into yet either. I'm still on stage 1 workouts and they're not easy. Fairly quick but I prefer to think of them as effective and a good use of time. Great compound exercises. Based on what baffled says, I can't wait until Stage 2.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #85  
Just Me

Mel,

I fear your planks.... I should do some though. Last time I did, I was sore for a week.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #86  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Could you be ... pregnant?
Good lord, I hope not! Before I was just hungry. Now I'm hungry and panicked!

But no, there's almost zero chance that I'm pregnant. (Thank god.)
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #87  
Mel

That was the first thought that went through my mind, too, baffled On the other hand, I'm ravenously hungry most of the time and pregnancy would be a medical miracle (or disaster) in my case. Could it be those new workouts?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #88  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Oh geez....I'm to the point in NRLW where he's telling me I'm doing too much cardio and not enough eating. I'm currently doing at least 60 minutes of cardio 5x a week and eating 600 calories less than the minimum he's advising. Did anyone else start from here?

I feel like I need to be retconned (sorry, geeky Torchwood reference), to wipe my mind clean of everything I know and start all over again. I'm determined to do this though, so if I slip back into old ways I need ya'll to kick me.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #89  
Just Me

Last night I did a good kettlebell workout. I'm getting so much better at squats! Of course I was majorly sore this morning.

I'm a dork though, went for a walk this morning with my pup and I tripped on an uneven sidewalk. I wasn't able to recover so I fell hard on my right knee (my 'good' knee). My knee was scraped up through my pants and my knee feels stiff. Luckily, I fell near the end of my walk so was only 20 feet from home. My pup gave me lots of kisses while I was on the ground So yeah I'm getting better at squats but today I can barely bend one of my knees.

So probably no kettlebells tonight (there are very few exercises that don't require squatting) but maybe some upper body weights.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #90  

Dixie, there has been quite a lot of discussion about the nutrition section on the NRLW message board. It might be worth a read. There's also, somewhere, a podcast by the authors during which they talk at length about the nutrition program.

http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/