Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #46  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Afternoon, LWL. Too many posts to catch up, but just wanted to brag about a new PR on (flat) bench: 130! For 7 reps, even. Just 5 more pounds and I'll be benching reps with the big girl plates, which coincidentally is also body weight.

I chalk it up to the recent addition of YTWL to my routine. (Search on you-tube for description/demos.) Or, as I like to call them, ego-thrashers.

Work hectic, duty calls. Toodles.

Kim

PS: sportsfreak: can't help you on the whey in Canada problem, but I see Lifeguard already did. As for your other questions, I think most are addressed -- probably with whey (ha ha) TMI -- here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...2&postcount=59
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #47  

Hi LWL,

I did workout 1a of nrwl today. WOWWWWW! My legs are trembling, I'm sweating and I guess I'm getting very sore as I type. Now to keep this up for the entire programme...and I'll lift like a godess!!!

for the rest an uninspiring weekend food was bad, exercise non existent. i have to get back in track, still have not lost my christmas pounds yet. But I'm pluggin on.

Have a reat day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Major headache today but I got 45 minutes of cardio in anyway. 20 on the bike & 25 on the treadmill.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #49  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Kim: Great job with your new PR.
Rabbit: Nice to see you.

I'm getting sick with a cold/fever. First of the season. Took DSs to school and went back to bed. I am sooo grateful to be able to do that today. I hope to be back on my feet tomorrow. I've got commitments the rest of the week.

OMG. I almost forgot. I did stop to pick up some protein powder this morning. The guy at the register asked if there was an athlete in the family while scanning the giant vat of powdered whey. I said, "Yeah, actually, it's for me." "What do you do...." I told him that I lift and he says "That's great, my mom does that a little too. It's really good for preventing osteoporosis." I lift for a lot of reasons but that's not the first one that comes to my mind.

I really hate buying this stuff in retail. It's time to have it delivered undercover to my back door.

Last edited by Lydia227; 02-04-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, buy it at Wal-Mart with all your other regular household items. They don't give a fart about what you buy there! LOL
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #51  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Hi all. Did my first workout tonight. Mostly triceps, biceps, gastroc/soleus, some lats and abs but the better portion of the ab work in the Clean Diet workout book requires a gym membership or a ton of money for machines . I need to find more free weight ab work, back work, etc.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #52  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Lydia -- that's a great story. I know retailers are just trying to be friendly, break up the monotony of their days, etc., but I really don't like to have conversations about the personal products I'm buying. (I still remember the first time I had to buy tampons for myself, from a male check-out clerk no less. I almost died from the sheer mortification of it all. Of course, I was a teenager, a condition characterized by a tendency to "almost die" from damn near anything.)

I have to admit that preventing osteoporosis is probably among the top 3 reasons I lift. If you saw the women in my family, you'd understand!

On that note, off I got to the gym. Have a great day, all!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #53  
Mel

Lydia- order online. I buy from vitaglo. netrition, amazon. No comments

Didn't get up for cardio this morning because I didn't sleep- on the other hand, I might as well have since I just looked at the clock every 5 minutes!

I may combine cardio with a full body workout at lunch- but work is overwhelming again...still....

Have a good one,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #54  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm a bit sore this morning.

Last night I did a workout with my new 25 and 35 lb kettlebells. I forgot that DH gets nervous when I use hefty weights. I was doing half snatches (don't know what else to call them but you bring the kettlebell close to your body at shoulder height) with the 35 lb kettlebell and DH thought I was going to hurt myself somehow I'm sore today. Tonight I'll probably do a kettlebell DVD. I tend to alternate between freestyle and my DVDs.

Hope everyone has a good day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #55  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

holy carp my biceps & triceps are sore. my lower back tried to make me pay for working out last night but I rubbed some sweet orange oil lotion on it and it 'shut up and left me alone'

I'm going to do a TransFIRMation video later, focused on abs & lower body.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi all,

I finally made it to the gym for a workout today. Hooray!! I took an ibuprofen before I went and I took it pretty easy while I was there, but it felt damn good to be making my body work. My back is feeling a bit achey now, but, to **** with it, I feel good!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #57  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
My back is feeling a bit achey now, but, to **** with it, I feel good!
Yep, that would be the endorphins speaking. Is the back getting a little better than last week?

No workout again today. Still sick. I'm taking a lot of coldeeze and staying indoors on this rainy day.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #58  

So, today was the first real group training session for my challenge. It was nice to have the camaraderie, but I will miss the one on one.

The session also left me a little emotional (or is it PMS?).

My trainer months ago opened my eyes to how hard I am on myself. And that's like a virus and I feel it coming on right now. Why am I so competitive? Why do I think I have to be the best at what I do? Clearly I can't be best at all things. I accept that usually, such as God didn't bless me with dancing skills...I can swim to save my life, but don't take to it naturally, etc.

Well, today was a circuit of sprints, plyometrics and core work. During sprints, while I was moving at my fastest (I watched my form and was really taking to what I had learned about how to move faster), still two newbies moved slightly faster. I am reasoning with myself that one is 180lbs and the other 211 and that's a lot less than me. Of course an extra 70-100lbs will make me slower. I wasn't terribly slow, I was actually fast, just...well, you know, wanted to smoke 'em and I didn't. And I tired out sooner.

I'll use it as motivation, but it made me want to cry. I gave 110%, that's all I can ask of myself. I did smoke 'em with legs, steps, and abs (I've got 6 months of training over them, so I know the movements and my body)...I just want more out of myself.

In the long run, I really want to win and am trying not to allow myself to be too hopeful as I don't want to be sorely disappointed. I'm doing what I can. Atkins is moving the scale again, I'm working out hard. I can only control my choices and behavior and let my body do what it's going to do....

My hope? In two months I hope to lose 20-30 lbs and I hope that's enough bodyfat% to win.

Silver lining? Gotta look for that ..well, my visceral fat detailed on my scale report has dropped from 18 to 14 as of today, I am down 3lbs since Saturday, I had great form, moved fast as I could, persevered....
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #59  
Mel

baf- glad your back is a bit better! Take it easy and be careful, tho. I've found that once I severely injure a part, it is more prone to re-injury with little provocation.

JG- Stop being so competitive with others and compete with yourself (said the kettle, calling the b pot black!) Good luck

Cardio done- this morning I really could have slept! My legs are pleasantly sore from yesterday's workout and shoulders are on tap today.

Dh is leaving for a week away, and I'm trying to not fall into the pattern of lonely-tired-angry eating. A friend who is a recovered alcoholic talked to me about AA's "HALT": hungry-angry-lonely-tired as a trigger for drinking. Not much different from food!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Jerseygirl - I think a little competitiveness is a good thing. I'm much more likely to really push myself if I think anyone is watching. The fact that you are aware of what is happening I think will help you not take it too far.

Mel - I've heard of the halt as well & have found it useful. It's amazing how often we want to eat just for those reasons.

I took yesterday off but today I'm back in the gym after my spanish lesson. I'm sooooo tired today but maybe I'll have a nap afterwards - lol. I need to figure out a better plan for sleeping at night - I'm not sleeping very deep.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote