Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #61  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Azure: Just to third or fourth what others have said. There's really no physical need to spend 2.5 hours a day in the gym, or do that much cardio on top of weight training (assuming you're not in training as an elite athlete or require the gym time for your mental health). At some point, it will become counterproductive, but you need to experiment to find out what that point is for your body.

If it helps, remember that more is not better, better is better. If you're in the gym for 2.5 hours a day, there's simply no way you're giving, or can give, maximal effort to your lifts or HIIT or whatever the session of the day is about. It's often more efficient (for fat loss and muscle gain) to work out for less time but at a higher intensity than to work out for hours upon hours but at a low intensity.

BTW, "overtraining" usually refers putting your body into an accumulated deficit over the long term. This is overly simplistic, but when you work out, you tear down muscle tissue that your body has to rebuild. "Overtraining" typically means that you've just asked your body to do too much repair work, too often: you build up a deficit by not giving yourself adequate recovery time, and eventually that deficit not only slows your gains but leads to various unpleasantries elsewhere in your system. E.g., you may start getting unusually susceptible to colds, or feel like you are tired all the time even though you're eating right. But this takes a while -- you don't become "overtrained" in a day, or a week, or even a month.

Short answer: sit down, already!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #62  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone!

Sorry I only have time for a quick post but I wanted to pop in to join the chorus of "be careful of trying too much" - especially at the beginning. I've been going to the gym now regularly for about a year. I started off at 3 times per week, bumped it up to 5 and then tried 6 but it was a bit too much. I know some people (okay Mel ) can manage regular twice a day workouts but she's superwoman and for most people, you have to find what works for you and is sustainable in the long run. And as has already been said, it's how you spend your time that's really important.

Shan - so glad you loved your power class...it's still my favourite class of the week! I feel so strong there and I love using the barbells. I have trouble in the regular part of the gym because the barbells alone (without the plates) are so heavy. And yes, here I go again promoting the spin classes....try it, I love it and let me know if you do too. I know you run too and it's the best cardio workout (for me) next to running.

Bad workout week for me but I will go tomorrow...can't decide between a run and a spin class. I'm really dying for a run but I'm not sure on the weather and do I want to get on a treadmill?? Not sure.

Happy almost Friday!!

Edited to say what I forgot to say. You know how I know I'm crazy ? Well, I've been trying to eat a bit "cleaner" since I can't eat much less but the problem is that I'm worried because part of my brain thinks that it's "better" to have a 200 calorie breakfast that lacks much nutritional value rather than the homemade oatmeal with some psyllium husks, a bit of splenda, cinnamon, half a banana and a little bit of apple that I've been eating this week (sooooo good). Really, even though it's actually more calories...isn't that a much better breakfast than a processed "breakfast bar"?? Help

Last edited by elisa822; 10-11-2007 at 09:33 PM.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #63  
Mel

Hey, I get tired too! That's why I have 1 complete rest day, and take time off every 10 weeks or so (or at least I think about it

Elissa- Add some protein to that breakfast and it'll keep you going longer!

Gotta go! later....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #64  

Hi LWL ,

FRIDAY!!!! And I biked to yoga class today, which brings the weeks exercise down to:
4 hours biking, 1 hour power class , 1 hour yoga, 6 hours total. So if I throw in a c25k & weights session over the weekend, I'll be good ! I missed out on biking to work & doing machines yeaterday because i have a cold and TOM came around, and I just felt too lousy. You can see that the biking solution uppes my exercise hours very nicely, so I'm definitely trying to keep that in!

Food wise it 's so-so, but I have made an amazing discovery: Some weeks ago I switched to ff yoghurt, and my normal type (with living yoghurt culture ) was unavailalbe. It was like I swolled all over, tight pants, gained a pund etc. Now I found biological ff, with the living culture, and strange enough the bloat is gone, the pants zip again and 2 pounds are gone !! bacteriaea work in mysterious ways...I'm sticking to the biological ff yoghurt for the time being. I never knew the living yoghurt culture made such a big diffference to my day!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #65