3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Is This a Good Workout Plan? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/104486-good-workout-plan.html)

Is that really me 02-12-2007 07:52 AM

Is This a Good Workout Plan?

I have weight lifting questions but would like input on cardio as well. Sorry if this is too long. I've hit a plateau and need to change things up. I've been walking at 3.8mph and running at 4.3 mph on the TM for the past 6 wks and need to change my routine. I hit 75% of my target heartrate at 3.8 mph; 80% at 4.3 mph. I start out walking, then run for a while, then walk, etc. for a total of about 45-55 minutes, 5 days/wk. I wanted to add some other cardio into my routine. My options are jump roping and aerobic dvds. While jump roping will obviously get my heartrate to where it needs to be I've never gotten it above about 120 bpm doing dvds.

1. Should I do some cardio dvds mixed w/jump roping once or twice a week and do the TM the other days, even though I get less of an aerobic workout doing dvds or just stick to the TM?

2. Is walking slower/longer better than running quicker/shorter or doesn't it really matter?

3. Does this seem like a good program? Walk day 1, walk day 2, alternate cardio day 3, run day 4, walk day 5; walk day 1, run day 2, run day 3, alternate cardio day 4, walk day 5; etc., varying each week or mix it up everytime (as I have been doing) I use the TM? (Hope that made sense).

4. Is getting on the TM everyday a poor idea? Is is better to only do the TM every other day (regardless of whether I walk or run and regardless of what alternative cardio I do) in order to give my legs a chance to rest? I know this applies to weights but don't know if it applies to cardio stuff as well.

My main question is about a fat-burning weight workout I'm thinking of trying. I bought the book (Joyce Verdal's Fat Burning Workout) ages ago (like 1992!) and never really used it.

The program has you do 3-5 exercises per body part. But instead of doing the usual (say for biceps a dumbell curl): 12 reps at 10 lbs; rest 30 secs; 10 reps at 15 lbs; rest 30 secs; 8 reps at 20 lbs; done w/dumbell curl and move onto next bicep exercise, it has you do 12 reps of dumbell curl then 12 reps of hammers then 12 reps of angled curls; then rest for only 10 seconds; then proceed to 10 reps at a higher weight for all three exercises; rest 10 seconds then do 3rd set of all three exercises at lowest reps/highest weight.

1. Is this a good program to start with?

2. I've read both positive and negative things about Joyce Verdal. Would like as much input as possible on this program. Any thoughts?

3. Is it wise to try and use weights as cardio (this program only takes about 20 minutes for biceps/chest/shoulders/back and triceps w/3 exercises per body part.) or should I bag the very short rest period and concentrate on intensity and form more? Yes, it splits ub and lb everyother day w/abs and butts two days in a row.

Any and all advice is welcome. I've been using a total gym for the past several weeks (only using it twice a week) and have finally fingured out that doing just 1 or 2 exercises per body part is not really doing much of anything. Thought I'd give this other program a try. Sorry if this post was too long w/too many questions but really need some help sorting this out. Thanks for all your input!!!

Jo

Is that really me 02-13-2007 08:39 AM

Cripes, over 60 people have read this post and no one has any information/advice/thoughts on this? Just needed a few questions answered and heard good things about how helpful this site was. Guess that info was wrong. Geez!

2frustrated 02-13-2007 08:47 AM

Hey.

I read your post and considered saying, if it's working then it's a good workout plan!

I have never even herd of Joyce V so I can't comment on that at all.

I know people here who do cardio every day, which is dandy if that's what you like and can manage.

The body does respond well to change, so mixing it up with skipping and DVDs is a good idea. Do what you feel. Find what works for you. I think the best answers to your questions are how your body is responding.

I'll have a stab at answering your questions.

1) This one's up to you, if you're loving the treadmill and it's working, then no reason to change. If you want to add some skipping in there then that's a GREAT workout too and I personally love skipping.

2) It's about the calorie burn really. The best thing to do is what you're doing - interval training. Some fast spurts with some recovery time inbetween. So 1 min fast walk/slow jog then 30 secs run/sprint and repeat.

3) It's a good program if it works, you can mix it up however often you like, it's up to you.

4) Again, it's up to you, some people here do cardio every day, some people don't. :)

1) & 2) I don't know the program your talking about

Quote:

3. Is it wise to try and use weights as cardio (this program only takes about 20 minutes for biceps/chest/shoulders/back and triceps w/3 exercises per body part.) or should I bag the very short rest period and concentrate on intensity and form more? Yes, it splits ub and lb everyother day w/abs and butts two days in a row.
I don't know what you mean by "weights as cardio" Weight training is weight training and cardio is cardio. If this is from the Joyce V program then I can't really comment, but 20mins IMHO is enough to do an intense weights workout if you're lifting heavy enough.

HTH, sorry it's not more definite, the bottom line is, everyone's different, find what works for you! :)

srmb60 02-13-2007 08:48 AM

I don't know if that's a good routine or not. Cardio everyday is wonderful ... especially if you enjoy it.
Weight lifting is a great way to mix things up.

4rabbit 02-13-2007 09:10 AM

Hi,

Just acomment on your 2nd post: Your 1st post is very long, and refers to a 15 yr old book that I at least have never heard off. So I basically have nothing to say on that.

If you want to do weights, go right ahead, but do your homework. Read in the threads, read at the womens weight training website. Whatever works for you is OK. get a recent book from the library.

I do not agree that 2 excercises per body part do not work. BFL has this as the basis, and this obviously works for a lot of people. it is all about intensity here.

Bottom line is that you find out what works for you.

Rabbit

Is that really me 02-13-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4rabbit (Post 1571200)
Hi,

Just acomment on your 2nd post: Your 1st post is very long, . . .

Yes, I know it was long. That's why I apologized in the beginning and at the end of the post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4rabbit (Post 1571200)
If you want to do weights, go right ahead, but do your homework. Read in the threads, read at the womens weight training website. Whatever works for you is OK. get a recent book from the library.

I've been doing nothing but homework -- reading posts, reading books, searching other sites. I thought I could get some perspective from the LWL folks, that's all. Obviously I'm a beginner just looking for some help and support. Just very discouraging when 60 people have nothing to say. Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it.

sportmom 02-13-2007 10:24 AM

I couldn't make it thru to the end of your first post either. I think you have to limit yourself to some succint questions if you want a lot of responses. Even the moderators here review this site in addition to their full time work, so they need things short and sweet. When I started here I read all the threads and lurked for a while trying to take it all in and then posted a question or 2 as things came up and that seemed to work well and get good responses. There are often just so many people who pop in and want info repeated and detailed answers, and it does get repetitive after awhile for everyone to respond to similar questions over and over. Try not to take it personally (because we certainly don't know you to be personal about it) and just try to divy up your posts a little better.

Lydia227 02-13-2007 12:08 PM

Hi Jo :wave:

I'll take a stab at your cardio and weight training questions. :chin:

First in your message you refer to hitting a plateau. I'm not certain if you are referring to a plateau in weightloss or in improving your level of fitness in regards to cardio endurance and/or strength. In this forum a plateau can mean any or all of these things.;)

In regards to the cardio, good job with the walking. Daily cardio of 45 to 55 minutes five days a week is excellent. Since you are reporting a plateau, how about adding sixth day? Sometimes you may need to cut back just to five days once in a while to avoid burnout but if you can, try six days for a few weeks and see what happens.

About the DVDs on alternative days... Ya know, :dunno: if it can no longer get your heart rate up, I would try something else. :yes: Do you have access to a gym or pool? These places have so many cardio alternatives to the treadmill like spinning, cycling, swimming, the elliptical. It does help to use different muscles during cardio to give the "walking" muscles a chance to be used in another capacity. If this is not an option, then continue to use the treadmill.

With regard to slower and longer sessions on the treadmill verses shorter but more intense sessions that include running, I think both are wonderful. A good program should provide you with an opportunity to build both your cardio endurance, slow and long walking, as well as cardio intensity, quick sprints. Some days your goal will be a brisk walk during the whole session. Other days will you will incorporate your sprints into your walk where you will incorporate your runs. With regard to running I would advise to you ease into this slowly and not to run everyday at this point.

Maybe you might also want to add the jump roping intervals on a day when you are walking but not for endurance. Maybe, walk for fifteen minutes, hop off the treadmill and jump rope for however long you can, maybe three to five minutes, get back on the treadmill walk another ten minutes, jump, etc till you hit your 45 to 55 minute session. I would not run the following day. Jumping is also a pretty intense exercise on our framework. :D Also, maybe just start with one jumping interval the first week and then add another the second week etc.

With regard to weight training. There are so many wonderful books available that focus specifically upon women's weight training. Unfortunately, I also am unfamiliar with Joyce V. to further advise you. I can list some of my favorites though that you might find helpful. Most of these deal with techniques but a few also provide the reader with information regarding training plans.

Sculpting Her Body Perfect, Brad Shoenfeld
Body Sculpting Bible for Women, James Villepigue
Womens Strength Training Anatomy, Frederic Delavier
Runners World Complete Book of Womens Running

You may find these at your local library before purchasing them to see if they may help augment your current program.

Anyway, hope this helps a little and good luck.

Mel 02-13-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Cripes, over 60 people have read this post and no one has any information/advice/thoughts on this? Just needed a few questions answered and heard good things about how helpful this site was. Guess that info was wrong. Geez!

As mentioned, you asked a LOT of questions. Yes, I saw your post yesterday, read most of the way through it, and decided it would take me quite a while to answer it. I work between 8 and 12 hours a day and am only home now due to cancellations from the snowstorm. I think if you scroll through the threads, you WILL find most of the answers to your questions.

However, before anyone can give you advice, we need to know a little more. What are your goals? You are doing a lot of long cardio, and are talking about being on a plateau. Are you trying to lose weight, change your body composition, or train for an endurance event?

You asked if longer/slower or shorter/more intense was better. Better for what? We need to know what you want from this. There is no all around better. How are you eating?

At 5'2 1/2", 4.3 mph is a fast walk for me, so I don't see how that could be a run for you. Maybe a slow jog, but not a run. If you want to add more intensity, add some incline to the intervals, or add some jump rope intervals into your treadmill time. There's no law that says you have to stay glued to the treadmill.

How do you know what your heartrate max is? If you are very fit, you don't fall within the parameters on the charts or machines and if you are deconditioned, you don't either.

IMO, Joyce Veydral's books are outdated and show poor form. I'd look at "the Body Sculpting Bible", "The NewYork Body Plan", "Body for Life for Women".

Mel

mandalinn82 02-13-2007 01:49 PM

And as always, the "views" count means nothing - it counts people who are unregistered flipping through posts who can't respond to posts because they don't have a login, as well as all of the people who have logins but "lurk" and don't respond to posts. Having 60 "views" does not mean that 60 different people could have posted in response to your post - some are non-posting or non-registered lurkers, some are people without anything meaningful to offer you advice-wise, and some are people (like me) who read your post, realized it would take a long time to read through and draft an answer, and decided to come back to it later that day or the next.

We can provide much better responses if you give us information about your goals, the amount of time you have available, etc. Also, I'm not personally familiar with the book you mentioned so I can't give you any feedback on that particular question.

I agree that 4.3 doesn't seem like a run to me. Like Meg, that is my "fast walk" speed - I don't really start running until 5.5 or so. I'm big on mixing up my cardio like Meg described...go for 20 minutes on the treadmill, jump off and do a high-intensity jump rope interval or some squats or other strength exercise, then back onto the treadmill for a bit, then another interval of something else. This seems to work well for me not only in keeping me motivated and not bored but also in terms of my results.

Mel 02-13-2007 06:42 PM

Hi Mandalinn :wave: My name is Mel :)

2frustrated 02-14-2007 04:30 AM

Mel, you should two should just give in and have a joint name Meggle! ;) Or maybe a HUGE siggy with your name in! :hug:

Mel 02-14-2007 07:37 AM

Try reading this on the benfits of long cardio vs. slow cardio and weight lifting.
http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/

Mel

Lydia227 02-14-2007 11:47 AM

OMG Mel! Her site is really funny. I can totally relate to her crutches and MRI experience. As well as her interrogation of her sports doc about what she can and can't do. It's almost as the "bug on the wall" had reported all this back to someone and they blogged it. Whew, I feel so much better already. I'm not such a wacko after all. :lol3:

She was also right on about the whole willpower/motivation, diet/eating like an athlete thing. :high:

Thanks for the link.

sportmom 02-14-2007 11:52 AM

I surfed over there too & really liked her photos and her before and afters on creatine. That was amazing! Anyone have an opinion on that? I was trying to see if it made her face puffy as well since she said she felt like a blowfish, but she didn't mention any other negatives about it. Great site and she's an interesting & unique character to follow and read up on!