3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Awaiting approval for surgery!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/97910-awaiting-approval-surgery.html)

doitforme 11-10-2006 11:25 AM

Awaiting approval for surgery!!!

Hi! my name is sue. I have currently gone to the information seminar, and also had my first surgical interview as well as psych apt. I also joined the support group as Dr. said needed to happen for insurance to approve. I am now awaiting approval and notification from surgeon on next apts. If there is any one awaiting approval, I thought we could co-misserate together well we are waiting I also started water loading and completely chewing my food, not drinking while I eat and for 3 hours after, as I am told that is one of the hardest life changes... I have been really careful with what I eat and have lost 9 lbs since 10/25... hopefully surgery will be approved around march 07.
post and let me know what stage your at... and have an awesome day!!!

jiffypop 11-10-2006 01:42 PM

big changes in your life, sue! congratulations. and stop biting your nails!!! we're glad to see you around here. have you gotten to the point where you're trying out various protein supplements?

USAFwife 11-10-2006 02:34 PM

Hi Sue, I'm glad that you're on your way to approval. My only question to your post was why are you waiting 3 hours after meals to drink again?? Is that a spec for lap bands only? B/C with the GBP I only have to wait about 15-20 minutes or so and I can drink again. I dunno if I COULD wait 3 hours to drink, especially if my meal was kinda dry or something. I must admit, NOT drinking with meals has been very hard on me, but since most foods just don't seem to want to STAY in my belly, I havnen't had too much to worry about.

Hugs and Prayers,
And Positive Thoughts,
Sharmel

doitforme 11-12-2006 01:13 AM

hi!

Thanks for posting....
Jiffypop- I haven't tried any protein shakes yet, just am cutting calories and trying to drink before meals ect and chewing my food till very fine.
USAFwife- My surgeon said that would be the regimen he would order because with the pouch the food will wash out with the water leaving you not satisfied but hungry sooner. That by not drinking with or for 3 hours after you actually will feel fuller longer... It works right now... I don't snack nearly as much as I did.
Have an awesome sunday...

Leenie 11-12-2006 09:49 AM

Hi Sue !! :welcome: and congratulations.

3 hours seems like a long time without water, I mean thats meal to meal, so how would you get your daily water in?? My doc said only 30 min - 1 hour after eating (lapband). I usually drink about 15 - 20, maybe 30 minutes after I eat..never really timed it.

Trophy Wife 11-12-2006 11:01 AM

OOH -- more on the water question!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leenie (Post 1469469)
Hi Sue !! :welcome: and congratulations.

3 hours seems like a long time without water, I mean thats meal to meal, so how would you get your daily water in?? My doc said only 30 min - 1 hour after eating (lapband). I usually drink about 15 - 20, maybe 30 minutes after I eat..never really timed it.

I totally understand why we shouldn't drink water with a meal and afterward. What I don't get is why no liquids one hour before a meal? If liquid goes right through the pouch anyway, why would it botherthe food that follows it and stays in the pouch?

I've been worried about that. With all the restrictions on when we can drink liquids, I've been wondering how to get all the water in daily.

HMMMMM......inquiring minds want to know! Leenie???

Mel

magi 11-12-2006 08:57 PM

I have to wait 30 min after I eat before I can drink and I still only manage to get an average of 48 oz a day. My doctor wants me to drink 64 oz a day but I've only made that once since surgery. If I had to wait 3 hrs to drink I'd never make it. Maybe you should talk to your doctor again about that. Nevertheless, I do believe we should follow our doctors instruction to the best of our ability. Good Luck !!

doitforme 11-13-2006 01:04 AM

hi!

I haven't had the surgery yet, but so far not a problem following his reccommended regimen but then again I love water, so I drink 1 bottle of water before breakfast usually around 8am, 1bottle before lunch at noon or so 1 bottle around 3-4pm , 1 bottle at 5-6 pm and I have my quotta- 64 oz. sometimes more than one bottle depends.. how thirsty I am... I wasn't told no drinking 1 hour before the meal, as a matter of fact he said 16 oz before and then wait 15 mins or so most of the water will move out of the stomach, go to support group meeting tom. suppose to be dietician there will ask her or try too. Thanks Sue

jiffypop 11-13-2006 02:45 PM

i think the reason for the no water for 30 minutes before eating rule is because some docs believe that the pouch stretches slightly with the water, and they want to food to be taken on a truly empty [and therefore 'deflated'] pouch

doitforme 11-14-2006 01:16 AM

Hi there!

That certainly makes sense to me...wish I would hear something soon!!

Leenie 11-15-2006 03:01 PM

WOW..... GREAT QUESTIONS LADIES !!! KEEP EM COMING :hug:

Mel, my doc said no water before eating (15 - 30 minutes)... Like Jiffy said, maybe water lingers in the pouch or stretches it a tad... maybe just enuf to make a difference.

I've never really timed it for myself.... my days are so crazy that I don't think about it.

Magi, your so right.... follow your doctors orders... bottom line.

One more thing...don't stress yourself out over every detail...in time, things will become natural to you and you won't even have to think about it.

Your all gonna do WONDERFUL !!!! hang in there.

Trophy Wife 11-15-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leenie (Post 1473168)
WOW..... GREAT QUESTIONS LADIES !!! KEEP EM COMING :hug:

Mel, my doc said no water before eating (15 - 30 minutes)... Like Jiffy said, maybe water lingers in the pouch or stretches it a tad... maybe just enuf to make a difference.

I've never really timed it for myself.... my days are so crazy that I don't think about it.

Magi, your so right.... follow your doctors orders... bottom line.

One more thing...don't stress yourself out over every detail...in time, things will become natural to you and you won't even have to think about it.

Your all gonna do WONDERFUL !!!! hang in there.

I saw the nutritionist yesterday for pre-op diet and post-op eating instructions. He said 15 to 30 minutes prior to eating, also.

I think I finally get it because of the way he explained it. His analogy was that of a funnel. Even if you pour plain liquid through a funnel, it will back up and spill over if you pour too fast. He said that you need to make sure all the water is out of the funnel before you start to eat. He also confessed that it's partially to build up your habit of not drinking with meals. He said that often people start drinking closer and closer to meal times and first thing you know....they're drinking liquids with meals again.

So, I'm gonna be a good girl. BUT no way did 60 minutes prior sound reasonable.

Mel

EZMONEY 11-15-2006 10:09 PM

You KNOW I am there for you dear!!!!!

doitforme 11-15-2006 11:44 PM

Hi!

E.Z.- Thanks! for all your support, trust the wedding will go well!
Mel and leenie- Thanks ! its all interesting. My biggest challenge was getting useto not drinking during and after meals but I am doing so much better with that.. It makes sense there should be a sapn of time 20-30 mins after drinking to eat. I haven't got any real instructions yet, just generalizations and info. That will all come on the next visit I am sure. interesting to talk and learn how others are doing... have a great day!!!

kyethra 01-21-2007 09:46 PM

My doc said about thirty mins either way- also talked about funnels, and GERD (since I have GERD, always have had it). I haven't tried that one yet. I have found a protein suppliment or shake that is on the list that I can palate. The first one I tried- yuck! I couldn't even finish one. But the next one, I can do. I'm waiting for approval too, it was submitted to insurance last month. The liquids thing will be hard for me, I am sure. I tend to drink a lot with meals-- I get thirsty! I am working on trying to chew more thouroughly. I also asked the nutritionist about what to do if I have a really hard time with the two week liquid diet prior to the surgery. The nutritionist said that if I was having a really hard day I could have one lean cuisine or healthy choice type frozen meal. I explained that I understood the importance of the liquid diet and all that and that I would do my best to stick to it stricly, but that I do have a problem with hunger and overeating and that I wanted to be prepared in cased I did have a weak spot so that it could be controlled because I didn't want it to turn into a binge. So from the nutritionist said- that people stuck to the diet with different levels of strictness and as long as I was able to stick to it and lose weight with it it should be ok and all- I felt better. The psychologist said that I also seemed to have a lot of determination to get to where I am (I have narcolepsy and fibromyalgia and I'm waiting to see if I got into grad school; currently I am taking a couple of grad school classes as a community credit student). This lead me to believe that his report would be favorable, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. But its sort of a nervous anticipation time. And my husband and I have been trying to make healthier choices when grocery shopping- more veggies and stuff and all that.