Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #61  

guess I posted in the wrong place for help sorry
kathym48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #62  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

It finally happened! I went into surgery Wednesday afternoon and came out with a nice little lapband! A couple of complications - had a pretty good-sized hiatal hernia which the doc needed to repair, and he took out my gallbladder as well. Needless to say my belly is sore, but am starting to feel slowly better. Had so much GAS - whew!! Doc said that gas is to be expected with this surgery - I even felt it in my shoulder of all places (referred pain, he said). For 2 weeks I can have all the liquids and semi-liquids (like yogurt) that I want until there's been some good healing in there. But no coffee yet Can't believe that the only time I was hungry was the morning after surgery - famished!! Since then, not so much. Hopefully in a few days I'll feel more normal and less weirded-out, LOL! Love, Carol
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #63  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Carol Congratulations

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of people getting lapband surgery and having a hiatal hernia and/or gallbladder removed...its not unusual... iI'm so glad your home and relaxing.

No coffee?? its so strange how each doctor is different... Thats the first thing they gave me after surgery with skim milk (well the next day really). I really wanted a cheeseburger but you know how that goes.

I was on 2 weeks clear liquids, third week thicker liquids, 4th week was mushies and finally 5th week regular food.

Gas ohhh yeah I remember that quite well. I slept in the recliner for a week and walked around my house as much as I could. Ask your doctor but I'm sure your able to take Gas-X.

Good luck and welcome home
Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 03-17-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #64  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

congrats grammy! hope you become a loser real soon.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #65  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

Thanks Leenie and mistymed! Yes, isn't it funny how every doc is different? Actually I had to go back to full liquids after a couple of days -they had told me "mushy" (like yogurt) was ok - NOT!! Talk about running to the bathroom every few minutes and still having accidents. Not fun.

So I went back on liquids although since I was so shaky and weirded out (my brain was boggled, hehheh), started drinking Boost Glucose Control along with water and watered-down V-8 Splash and an occasional chicken broth. That seems to be working much better, and my mind is actually sorta-kinda working again! Never have tolerated anesthesia real well anyway. At least the gas is gone (along with my caffeine headache, LOL!)

It's a whole new mindset, isn't it? I really haven't wanted Real Food until I smelled my husband's broiled salmon tonight - ohmygosh! And I don't even like salmon! Boy was I ready to chow down! But, bit the bullet, went into the bedroom and sipped on the Boost. But you know what? That feeling really did pass pretty fast - happy to say

So, onwards on this great adventure!! I'm SOOO grateful you're all here to share and support on this journey!
Love, Carol

Last edited by GrammyRN; 03-18-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add avatar
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #66  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i am glad to have all of you too! i bet you will have a great loss when you go
for your checkup.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #67  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Carol, I remember eating clear liquids for two weeks and during the 2nd week my family was eating dinner while I sat in the living room almost in tears... it drove me nuts LOLOL but we survive right. We really must be very careful the first 6 weeks after surgery...last thing we want to do is hurt ourselves by not listening to our doctors orders... no matter how badly you want to go against it... don't Before you know it you'll be eating solids.

I really need to get a fill.... don't know why I won't go...its a mind game at this point. I can eat a decent amount of food and kinda like it but at the same time I'm not losing an ounce

We must TRAIN THE BRAIN !!!! with out it, the band doesn't do its job because even with this tool, you can still gain weight by eating all day long and the wrong foods.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaisjude View Post
today is my fourth day out of surgery and I was able to eat a meal from wendy's. I ate it really slowly, but I am scared. I know i have to learn to control my bingeing, and I was fully prepared to eat one or two bites and either throw up or be in pain, but I WASN'T. Now I am scared that there is something wrong. Why would my doctor and all the websites and books say that my stomach would be too sensitive for solid foods, but mine isn't? I know I should go to my doctor, but I am really embarrassed. Does anybody have any advise?

I know this post is a little late for Anaisjude, but the reason drs tell you not to eat after lapband surgery is 1) to give your stomach a chance to heal and 2) to allow scar tissue to form around the band to lesson the chance of band slippage. The liquids go down easy and the stomach does not have to churn to digest it. Don't forget when the drs place the band, some also stitch a little part of the stomach under the band to the part of the stomach over the band to secure the band in place. I think it's called the Birmingham stitch.

Also, do not rush to eat solid foods after a fill. My dr has me go on liquids for 2 days, 2 days of mushies and then back on solids. I was banded on Dec 6, 2007. I know it's hard to follow orders strictly and once I healed after the surgery, I felt like I was eating like there was going to be a food shortage and I had to get every last bite. It's self sabotage. I had to stop it and it is dangerous to do after wls. I didn't go thru surgery to continue to fail. So I stopped the nonsense and after the second fill, I finally felt restriction and lost more weight.

Just go slow. The lapband is a process and there is a lot to learn to be successful. Work with your doctor. Follow their advice. And most of all: Be kind to your body.

-JoAnn
Sweet Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #69  

Hi Everyone,

My doc had me on liquids for 2 weeks after surgery and then 1 week of mushies and then on solids. Since they use the newer band which is bigger (10cm) , they wanted me to have my first fill at 1 month after surgery. I put it off because it was year-end and I was stressed. So I went for my first fill 6 weeks after surgery. When I first went they gave me 3cc's, I felt no restriction and was able to eat like six raviolis. So doc told me to come again, so 2 weeks later, he put in another 3cc's. I had kept the 12lbs off from the liquid diet prior to surgery, but I wasn't losing anything after the 2 fills. He told me my band was larger and that I need more liquid at my weight to feel restriction. Then 1 month later they put in 1 1/2cc's. I have a total of 7 1/2 cc's. I lost another 10lbs and have kept that off too. For the first year my dr wants me to come monthly to check my progress and give me a fill if needed.

I'm due for another fill on Monday, April 14th. I actually can't wait because, if I lose another 10lbs, I will be 6lbs from being 199. I haven't been 1-something in about 17 years.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #70  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Thats awesome SC... but be very careful not to get over filled... slow is good. If you start getting acid reflux thats a sign you need to get a slight unfill.

Congrats on your WL

Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #71  

Thanks, Leenie. They're pretty careful about giving fills. The Dr told me that since I'm on the "smaller side of heavy" (whatever that means), I need more liquid in my band to feel the restriction. My friend was getting the acid reflux and they ended up having to empty all the liquid out of her band. After 1 1/2 years she has lost 100lbs, but they realized her band had slipped, where her stomach mushroomed over the band. They think it might have happened soon after surgery, when she was vomitting forcefully. The acid reflux is getting really bad for her, even with all the liquid out of the band. She now has to get the band replaced. They are going to put the newer band in, which has a less chance of slippage.

I'm really proud at her at age 60, she went from 290 to 190. I'm 39 and struggling. She keeps pushing me ( in a good way), to keep at it and not lose sight of my goal. Her doctors told her that most lapbanders should lose their weight within 2 years. That it gets harder after the 2 years have passed. Has anyone else heard of this?

-Joanne
Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #72  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Wow, your friend had a rough time, but its awesome that they can fix it for her.

I think it gets harder after 2 years because the excitement wears down, if you know what I mean... I'm 2 1/2 years out and only lost 1/2 of what I should have lost so yes... its harder now. My problem is I need a fill but am fighting the mind demons... I have little restriction and am enjoying being able to eat as much as I can plus I'm picking inbetween meals... not a good combo.

Looks like your doing great !!! keep up the good work.

Leenie
Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #73  
Wishin' and Hopin'

Height: 5'7"

Hi all... I signed up for this site awhile ago, but never posted. So I just thought I would introduce myself and get involved. I have band surgery on 2/11/08! WAHOO!! It's been good to read all your posts. Definately motivating.
heidabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #74  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Heidabear

Glad you joined us and welcome to bandland Hope to more (or is that less? lol) of you.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #75  

Default So how are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidabear View Post
Hi all... I signed up for this site awhile ago, but never posted. So I just thought I would introduce myself and get involved. I have band surgery on 2/11/08! WAHOO!! It's been good to read all your posts. Definately motivating.
My daughter is thinking about having this and it's a big step, so how are you doing?
AllAboutDieting is offline   Reply With Quote