Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/278/120

Default I was Banded Monday March 20

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Since Wed I've had diarrhea. Everything goes through me and today was the worst yet. I was walking around when without warning and no control I went in my pants and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. This really scared the **** out of me. Of course this would happen on a Saturday when I can't call the doctor's office. I didn't want to consider it an emergency unless it happens again. I sent my husband out to get me imodium. I do have IBS so my doctor thought the Lapband would be better than the bypass because of IBS. I was happy since this is what I wanted.
I haven't vomited which seems to be the big concern with my doctor but diarrhea was never discussed. I've been feeling weak but I keep drinking my liquids because I'm afraid of dehydration.

If anyone heard of this or had this problem, please let me know. Anyone with IBS here?
Debra
Debra3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #2  

Keep drinking your fluids Debra, but stick to clear ones and in particular veggie broth. You're probably cleaning out. Did they give you anything to vacate your bowel before the surgery? Are you eating or what are you putting in from the top end right now?
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #3  

Default Thanks for your reply

No they didn't want to do an enema before surgery, however I was on a liquid diet two days before. Since surgery I've been on liquids, including protein powder prepared with milk. This morning I had apple juice and broth when the problem happened. After that I decided to only have Isopure drinks that are like cool aid and not that great but I add crystal light and it helps with the flavor. I'm going to avoid milk for a while and maybe the apple juice has too much sugar. Prior to surgery I didn't take any medication including for IBS. While in the hospital I had pain medicine and antibiotics then after, I continue to take pain medicine, vitamins, pepcid. Like you said I hope my body is just cleaning out.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #4  

Holy moly!

Ok first of all, the antibiotics alone are enough to give you the runs. Top that with milk. Then the apple juice so I think your instincts about dodging both of them are very good! Get some veggie broth into you Debra. With your immodium you should be good to go in a day or so. Can you try adding Splenda instead of crystal light pretty please???? Aspartame is so wretched.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #5  

Oh, and one more thing. When you DO go back to milk, try using powdered skim for the first bit if you can. Its not quite as likely to be hard on the bowel as even packaged skim. Mix it ahead of time, like the night before so it sits in the fridge and gets good and chilled and then its pretty easy to take. And what kind of protein powder are you using? Did you use it before the surgery? Soy can be very, very hard on some people.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Hey Debra,
Your post is very interesting. I don't have IBS but I was also banded on the 20th. However, I have the opposite problem. I am severly constipated and it hurts. I have not had a bowel movement since last Sunday (March 19th). So if anyone could shine some light onto my problem I would appreciate it.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

wow!!! so much excitement around here - deb3x - why the antibiotics??? it's not usual, but perhaps with the IBS, the doc had a PLAN here... but i agree with hubs... avoid anything with sugar, including the apple juice. the isopure is whey-based, i think... one of those ultra-purified ones.

maybe yogurt would help? what do you think, hubs? mixing the protein into yogurt has gotten me out of some tough spots on occasion

as for YOU, MS DEBO: drink more water. and you can add some fiber to that as well - something that dissolves in water. remember they said 64 oz of water per day? that's the MINIMUM. feel free to go above that - honest!!!

i think that, no matter which surgery we use, the way our bodies use water changes. i don't pretend to understand it, but it might have something to do with the restriction - since we no longer have that 'storage' capacity that normal stomachs do, even with the band.

keep us posted! and chin up. it WILL get better - promise...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for your tips. I'm not sure why the antibiotics, from what I understood he automatically does this for all his patients and it was just while in the hospital. I forgot to mention he also had me on anti nausea medication in the hospital as well. The protein powder I've been using is mainly Unjury, which I like alot. I also have Slim fast and Isopure. Today my taste buds seem to be going back to normal and the Unjury taste better since the surgery.

I'm the type of person that hardly ever takes any over the counter meds, even for a headache, and I never even took vitamins. I started the vitamins about a month before surgery so I'm glad I did cuz I'm getting used to them.

I haven't had diarrhea today but that could be from the imodium I took yesterday.

I miss something warm to drink, I was a big coffee drinker. Can anyone recommend something that's enjoyable.

Thanks again for all your help.

Debra
Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

you can have decaf. and tea - all kinds of tea. also, some docs let their patients have ONE packet of SF/FF hot chocolate a day.

as for the slimfast - not usually a great choice, for RNY pts at least. way too many carbs - and lots of people dump on them.

but it DOES sound like you're feeling better today - and that's wonderful! each day will get better....
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #10  

I'd hold off on even the decaf for a bit if you can Debra, but tea is good. And straight black tea helps with the runs.

Also, yogurt is a WAY better choice than something like slimfast. Especially the plain stuff sweetened with anything but aspartame. Add your protein to that. And jiff is right about fibre. Psyllium is a great choice to add. It will help your IBS a great deal. Just go easy at first.

Glad to hear you're feeling better today.