Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #1  

Question Biotin--how much per day?

Hi,

I had roux-en-y in Sept. 2004 (I've lost 122.5 of my 130 goal!); I went thru the hair loss at 4 months out and have experienced a round of it more recently. I heard about taking Biotin to help in preventing this but I am not sure about how much to take. I bought one that has 2500 mcg...is this enough? Should I take just one a day or two per day? Any of you have any experiences with Biotin or any other options? As an aside, I am a vegetarian, so gelatin is not an option for me.

Thanks much!!!

Kalimero007
Kalimero007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #2  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure about the Biotin, Kalimero, but I've been told that making sure your meeting your protein requirements and increasing your Zinc can help (although don't exceed 40mg per day, or it may interfere with your body's ability to absorb other nutrients.)
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

indigo has raised an excellent point - protein. you shouldn't be having hair loss at this point. it sounds like a chat with your doc is in order - and you might want to show up with a food diary. the doc might also want some blood work.

i suspect something is going on, and biotin may or may not help.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #4  

Biotin is recommended generally for therapeutic purposes (as opposed to daily optimal) in ranges of 8-9000 mcg. I would suggest at least three a day of the supplement you have now.

Also, Indigo is right about Zinc and we generally recommend no more than 30 mg. daily. A good Zinc supplement MUST have copper added to prevent further problems.

CLA - Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a critical supplement. - 750 mg.

B12 and Folic - 5000 mcg of B12 and 400 - 800 of Folic.

Chromium - 200 mcg

Alpha Lipoic Acid - 1200 mg daily and must be taken before you eat. It needs the food on top of it. This is normally consumed with a morning meal, and then again with an evening meal.

Vitamin C is critical. Minimum 2500 mg. daily and I prefer at least 3000 up to 6000. Increase from what you're taking currently gradually to avoid hitting what is called bowel tolerance which means you get the runs.

Last but not least - PROTEIN. Each person metabolizes protein differently and some people do better with one source over another. Soya is the least desirable. Particularly in light of the estrogen surge that happens with radical weight loss anyway. Some people can get more from whey sourced protein, some need egg, some dairy and so forth. Just because you're getting enough protein in grams does not mean your body is getting it from a protein source that is optimal for you.

Dr. Hubs
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

I was told by my doctor that GNC sells a supplement that contains both bioten and zinc, and that a lot of his patients have success using this. I haven't bought it yet but I am anxious to try it!
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote