3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Lap-Band Surgery Scheduled (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/71539-lap-band-surgery-scheduled.html)

VeggyMom 01-03-2006 09:37 AM

Lap-Band Surgery Scheduled

After years of looking into WLS and then backing away, again and again I have finally taken the step.

I have scheduled my laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery for Friday, January 13th. I am so ready for this journey.

I started my 2 week pre-op Optifast diet on the 30th and I hve dropped 5 pounds since then. I know a lot of it is water weight but it sure is nice to see the scale reading below 300 for a change! :D

Right now the only thing that could stop the surgery is my psych eval ... which is tomorrow. But I have a feeling that it will go well.

I am as prepared as I can possibly be and now I just keep moving forward one day at a time.

hubs 01-03-2006 09:54 AM

Congratulations on having a date and moving forward Veggymom. Does this mean you've had to go ahead with self pay? I hope for your sake that isn't the case but either way I'm sure you'll be in good hands and you're on your way! What a great new year this will be for you!

VeggyMom 01-03-2006 11:16 AM

Hubs,

I did decide to go ahead with the self-pay option. I could have fought it out with my insurance company but I decided, after careful consideration and, not to enter into that entire hassle. Especially as it appeared, at the end of last year, that our new year of insurance coverage would exclude the WLS again. With the on again, off again choices DH's company has made in regard to covering WLS it seemed to be more of a hassle than was worthwhile since being a self-pay is not a financial hardship for us.

hubs 01-03-2006 12:16 PM

Puts the control back squarely in your hands. I'm glad to hear this isn't a crippling expense for you. Very strong choice Veggymom. Again, congratulations on moving forward.

kfs151 01-03-2006 12:18 PM

Congratulations on getting your date! Be sure to keep us up to date on how you do. I had my lap-band on 12/21/2005. Days 3-5 were the worst and then BOOM - I felt much better. After the initial swelling went down I don't have much restriction and can tolerate pretty much everything (which is both good and bad). I'm feeling lousy today (I think it is because TOM is due) so I finally broke down and had a teaspoon of Percocet and am off to have a little protein. I've been sipping my Propel as dehydration has been the biggest risk for me so far.

So hang in there on the Optifast and the psych will go just fine!

Chickadee 01-03-2006 12:32 PM

Congrats Veggy!

Hmmm - Hope you're not superstitious, having surgery on Friday the 13th. I think that probably means it's bad luck for your excess fluffiness, because that's the day it meets its match. Good luck!

Chickadee
Banded 4/6/2004 and loving it!

debo71 01-03-2006 05:03 PM

Congrats Veggymom,

Hope everything goes smoothly. Please keep us informed on your progress. After reading all these articles about the LapBand, I am now considering it even more over the bypass.

indigo child 01-03-2006 07:01 PM

Veggymom...I wish you the best! I hope this opens up a whole new world for you. ;)

invisigoth 01-03-2006 08:13 PM

Congrats VeggyMom!

VeggyMom 01-05-2006 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone!

The psyc eval went well. The psychologist seems to think that I am well prepared and have a realistic expectation of what the surgery will and will not do for me. So that's cool.

I'm actually a strange enough type of person to think that having surgery on Friday the 13th is a good thing! My best friend had WLS (duodenal switch) on Halloween and I'm on Friday the 13th ... which is totally fitting for us. LOL

I'm excited and giddy and just ready for it to be done and overwith.

Thanks again!

indigo child 01-05-2006 07:21 PM

Hey, I'm just like that, Veggymom. I kept my new bank account even though it had the number "666" in it, and instead of being "afraid," I went out and played that number. ;) And hit on it for a little over $500, too. ;) I won't let superstition direct me, either.

I also mentioned in the thread to aminim that you look like you're doing great weight-loss wise even before the surgery. Congrats!

Chickadee 01-12-2006 07:47 PM

Good luck tomorrow Veggymom! For me, it was a pretty easy surgery. Just walk a lot afterwards and take it easy.

Congratulations and welcome to the other side!

Chickadee

LAnneCarrington 01-12-2006 09:45 PM

Good luck to you tomorrow, Veggymom. I hope all goes well for you and I would definitely like to hear more about your experience with the lap band, since I am also being considered for it and see my own surgeon on January 24 for the consult. I was supposed to have gastric bypass done in September, but a rare medical condition on my part was found and they couldn't do the Roux-n-Y.

I'm just glad I don't have to go through all those pre-op tests again--talk about the hurdles I had to clear before the previous surgery!

Keep us informed on your progress!:hug:

indigo child 01-12-2006 10:21 PM

Thinking of you and sending you strong positive thoughts for tomorrow, Veggymom! :hug:

hubs 01-12-2006 10:56 PM

omg! I lost a whole day here!! I kept thinking about it being Wednesday all day today and I actually thought about your surgery Friday. Tomorrow!

The very BEST of luck tomorrow Veggymom! Get in! Get home!! And let us know how you're doing!!

VeggyMom 01-13-2006 06:19 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm just getting ready to head out to the hospital now!

Hopefully I'll be home and up to posting tomorrow!

kfs151 01-13-2006 07:43 AM

I didn't make it on much yesterday, so you'll already be on the bandwagon by the time you see this. Hope everything went well and you're feeling great. Walk as much as you can. Days 3-5 were the hardest for me and then things got much better!!

FluffyGirl79 01-13-2006 12:54 PM

I hope everything goes well! Update us with your progress when you can :)