Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 PM   #1  

Default Happy Skinny Day tooooooo....Pookie Pie!!!!

Today's our surgery anniversary, my little monkey! I can't believe it's been a whole year already!!! I hope you had a WONDERFUL day!!!

(((Kiss, Kiss, Kiss)))
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

a whole year!!! doesn't seem possible, does it???

so, you two gorgeous women - how about sharing some of your lessons and wisdom with the rest of us?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:11 AM   #3  

I don't have much wisdom to share, I don't think. I honestly feel like Cinderella at the Ball. Some small things are:

You won't wake up after surgery, skinny.

As much as you can imagine the discomfort after surgery will be, it will be 10 times worse than that.

I didn't feel hungry for months afterward. Most of the time I felt like I was forcing myself to eat/drink.

You can eat things that are bad for you eventually, you have to use your brain to keep you from eating it.

Your hair will grow back!

I've got more energy than I've had in YEARS!

People tell you your loosing too much weight, even though you still aren't at your ideal weight yet. It's aggrivating!

You can still enjoy food, you just have to eat slower and savor.

Sex is better....Life is better.

Your skin will sag, but it's better than not being able to get down on the floor and play with your kids.

Like Pookie said, it's not an easy fix. It's hard learning how to eat again. It's hard not being able to eat things that you use to eat, and sometimes it's hard not being able to eat as much as you use to.

Eating out at resturantes is difficult, and akward. You waitress is always asking if there is something wrong with your meal.

There is nothing wrong with asking for an extra plate, and eating a little of someone else's meal. Your waitress won't look at you like you an alien.

Some people will resent you for you accomplishment. And, most people won't understand how hard it is for you. People will ask, how you lost the weight, and then go "Oh", like they think you cheated or something, when you tell them.

I can't think of anything else.

Here's some before and after pics.

Before

After (me and my little snow white)

Old 08-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #4  

Oh My4Monkeys, your pics are just lovely!! I can so relate to a lot of what you wrote, even though I didn't have surgery myself, but hey, we're all in this together, right?! You and Pookie make an excellent point, and I'm sure every WLS patient would agree, that this is no free ride. This is hard, hard work, and it's one of the reasons why I didn't choose surgery; I didn't think I was up to the challange of life after WLS. So, don't ever let anyone tell you that WLS is "cheating", just let em live a day in your shoes and they'll be singing a different tune for sure!! Anyway, congratulations Pookie and My4Monkeys, you both are such an inspiration to us all!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #5  

Thanks you guys

Beverly, where in Arkansas are you? I grew up in Russellville, I miss it there so much. My family lives up close to Harrison now.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #6  

Ha! What a small world! I lived in Russellville for years while my dh attended Tech. I went to high school in Dardanelle and lived in Harkey's Valley, where most of my Dad's side of the family still resides. I'm in Conway now, and have been for about 6 years. I really like it here, not to small but not too big either. Of course I'd trade places with you in a second, I would absolutely LOVE to live anywhere around the Seattle area, and hope to relocate there some day. It's a weather thing, I HATE the summers here! I'm sure you know what I'm talkin 'bout!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #7  

Yep, I can't say that I miss the weather in Arkansas. It really is a small world, LOL.