Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #1  

Default Iron Issues...Take is daily or not? What do you do?

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you subliment with iron everyday? In other groups some say to do it and some don't think it matters. I just don't want a nasty suprise a few years down the line. Doc put me on Slow Fe for a few days (with concrete butt side effects) and then said I didn't need to take it. My blood levels showed me as being the very bottom of the range. And I read, on another site, that we can't absorb the type of Iron in Slow Fe.

So, any advice? How much do you need to take a day? My doc's handouts still say post opts can get away with flinstones and TUMS. He's a great surg. but I'm not impressed with the follow up.

Almost two months post op and 3lbs shy of being down 50lbs. Still have lots to learn but I'm feeling better.

Hope everyone has a great Mother's Day!

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you. i fell asleep last night instead of getting online!

here's what i understand... you should probably confirm this with a health care professional..

most of our iron is stored in the liver. it takes awhile to go through it, especially if you're not getting periods. if you're still going through that, it'll take less time to use up your iron stores.

most of us need to supplement at some point. it took me 18 months before i needed supplements, and then the over the counter regular stuff didn't work. what did work - and what a number of people i know take - is the stuff they give people on kidney dialysis. and it's not because we have kidney problems, it's that this stuff is easily absorbed. i'll have to dig out the package and tell you the exact name. it's sort of over the counter, but it's behind the counter.

other people have to end up with IV iron. not a pleasant thing.

does this help?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:54 AM   #3  

Jif,

Please, if you could dig it out and let us know, I'd appreciate it. Iron is an issue for me right now.

Thanks,

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

NIFEREX!!!! and there's a generic version as well.... ask your pharmacist...

by the way, the reason we use up iron even without periods is that our red blood cells - which use up most of our iron - have a limited life cycle - measured in weeks, not years. so as they die, and the iron is removed, new iron is incorporated into the new red blood cells... it's normal. and not necessarily a sign that our bodies aren't working right. it's that we're not absorbing enough to replenish our bodies.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote