Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-20-2007 at 01:27 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #2  

Hi Pookie88, My cousins, my bestfriend and a girl that I became very close with in our support group all had GBS and then had their tummy tucked. All three said it was the most painful thing they had ever been through. My cousins body rejected all of the sutures and the string would just pop out everywhere and she would have to go to the doctors to have inches of string pulled out. My friend from the support group OMG, she had her tummy tucked and her boobs done at the same time, Her boobs she said are fine. The doctor said that because they removed so much skin at one time that the surgery didn't take. She was stuck in bed for a month in a half, couldn't move her bowls and get a shower on the same day. She couldn't get a shower by herself because I guess the loss of fluid and blood. she developed ulcers on her legs from the fat melting off so fast. Oh god it honestly goes on and on, but to make it worse, she didn't heal right and has to have all that surgery all over again in August to make her body look normal. The sores on her legs will leave scars because they've become staff infections and have to heal from the inside out. No thank you I'll deal with the hanging skin. Just to mention the surgeon that did her surgery was one of the best in the state of so its not like she went to a quack. My other friend was fine after the tummy tuck but said that it was the most painful thing she had ever gone through.
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #3  

When I went for my consult the surgeon said that there are two kinds of tummy tucks. The one most common for GBS patients is the one where they sew your stomach muscles together. I think that's why it's so painful.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

i hope he explained why that happens!!! it's because we all have fat deposits around our organs [it's called visceral fat], and it ends up spreading the abdominal muscles, and making them weak. gross, i know. but it has to happen [i think].
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #5  

Hi Jiff, The doctor did tell me why they had to do it and said that it was necessary to build the muscel and give your stomach more definition. After seeing my friends recover though I really don't think that surgery would be for me. But then again mine was denied by my insurance and I haven't appealed the decision. I may though about my legs, they really are terrible (I think)
Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #6  

Pookie88,

My arms aren't that great either but I still go sleeveless in the summer. The only time you see that their bad is when I put my arms up. So that I don't care about. The skin on my legs though causes me a lot of problems. I get a lot of yeast because I like to cross my legs and when I exercise the skin bouncing up and down actually hurts. From walking so much you can see I have some definition but the skin is still there and just bounces. I know to get approved for the plastic surgery on them all I need to do is start going to the doctors every time I get an infection or start to complain about the pain and then it would become medically necessary but having seen what they need to do to take the skin off and seeing what my friends have gone thru I'm really afraid to go. I know if I did go though I would be in a size 6, my waist is very small and I have to get the 8 so my thighs fit in the pants.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #7  

I haven't had the surgery but I've been reading your posts for my mom-she had GBS in August 2004 and she has lost 100#. She is now considering the tummy tuck procedure-I'll print out this thread for her...thanks for all the info and insight!

Start 209#
Today 174#
Goal 154#
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #8  

Thanks Pookie-having the GBS has changed her whole life...she is more active, eats healthier and has such a better outlook on life-not to mention the health benefits of her diabetis and asthma. Now she just wants to get rid of some of the loose skin...I'll let you know what she decides and her journey. Have a great weekend to everyone!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote