Pre-surgery Shopping List for WLS

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • Not sure how available these are in the US, but in the UK there are little squeezy packs of baby food. I give the fruit only ones to my son (who is 5) and use them myself if I need fuel right before I exercise but can't eat (i.e. before yoga or rugby) as they don't sit in my stomach. They're delicious and easy to carry and consume. They come in sizes ranging from 60cal to 100cal. Obviously the fruit only ones don't have protein - so don't know if they're suitable.
  • The things I couldn't have lived without the 1st 2 weeks:
    Crystal Light lemonade
    sugar free popsicles
    sugar free jell-o

I couldn't eat much else, my stomach was so grumpy.
  • Thank you!
    Thank you so much for all the advice on what and how much to purchase prior to surgery!
  • Can anyone tell me if there are different things needed or appropriate for the Vertical Sleeve? I have just started the process and that is what I am planning on. The RNY isn't suitable for me due to liver issues, and my Dr. thinks this is a good choice for me. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA Sis
  • for the first couple of weeks, the requirements are similar - each type of surgery involves some serious cutting of the stomach [except for the lapband, but even that is an irritant for awhile]. therefore, the emphasis is on healing from surgery while not putting a lot of strain on your stomach. Check with your surgeon, but this process generally involves starting with clear liquids and then advancing to thicker ones, then purees. and of course you MUST figure out how to stay hydrated.
  • Quote: This List is for RNY-Gastric Bypass. There would be some different items for Lapband folks. See LAP BAND FAQ thread for that List.

When I had my pre-op evaluation/session with the WLS nutritionist she gave me a packet that listed things she suggested we eat during
    the 1st 3 phases of eating after our surgery. I hope you get something along those lines from your doctor.

In the very beginning you will probably be sticking with mostly protein shakes and possibly broth or tea.

Then you might progress to some of these items:
    Smooth soups. You can use Blender.
    Protein Powder to add to things (My brand is ProCel there are others)
    Low sugar/low carb yogurts
    BABY FOODS
    PROTEIN DRINKS/SHAKES
    Crystal Light
    unsweetened applesauce
    instant oatmeal (Plain- not the kind with sugar flavors)
    whipped Cottage cheese
    Fat Free or 2% soft American cheese slices.
    Tea
    sugar free jello or sugar free pudding
    chewable vitamins
    TUMS.
    After awhile I graduated to chewable Calcium Citrate also.

This list was for what I needed to have in my house when I first got home from the hospital before I was allowed to have any solid foods.

After this stage is over you should be well enough to go food shopping again!
    Nice to know I am on my way to be on the pre op diet myself thanks for good info.
  • Quote: My Niece had the surgery done, and while she was in the hospital, she saved the little cups that they bring your meds in. They are perfect for your jello and such and they are the right amount! She ate right out of them! Just a thought!

BOB
    great idea, thank you
  • Quote: The things I couldn't have lived without the 1st 2 weeks:
    Crystal Light lemonade
    sugar free popsicles
    sugar free jell-o

I couldn't eat much else, my stomach was so grumpy.
    thanks for these suggestions
  • I just wanted to thank you for this post.
  • Also, I bought non-fat powdered milk and added that to everything, so that would add protein.
  • Thank you for this thread. It's been really helpful.
  • Thank you for Sharing
  • Hi there.Good luck with the recovery after surgery.
  • Thanks - its cool for me
  • I'm 4 weeks into my custom keto diet plan and I've lost 14 pounds which I must say is pretty incredible, it's actually amazing watching my body transform into something I am actually proud of rather than something I have always tried to cover up.