Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #1  

Default Problems with teeth after gastric bypass surgery?

Hi Everyone

My name is Pat. I am 58 and live in the north east of England with my beautiful dogs Megan the Golden Retriever and Archie who is a black Labradoodle. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2010 and went from 273 to 154 pounds. Having the surgery is the best thing I ever did. No more broken diets, no more feeling so worthless and out of control.

Around 2012 I started having all kinds of problems with my teeth. They became so sensitive and started to break up mainly along the gum line. I have had to have so many fillings and needed 4 extractions at the Dental Hospital as the top of the teeth had actually snapped off. This year I've already had to visit the Dentist 12 times.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I'd love to hear from anyone who knows if this is a general problem and what can be done to help.
PatJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Pat, have you had a bone density test taken? Blood tests can not really indicate the level of calcium you are absorbing, just what is in your blood stream.

Further, how are you with your consumption of calcium? The ASMBS recommends 1500-2000 mg of calcium CITRATE (not carbonate) a day. The body can only absorb 500 mg at a time, so you need to take multiple doses per day, each spaced 2 hours or more apart. Plus, other vitamins, such as a low Vitamin D, can inhibit how much your body can absorb of calcium.

I have heard of RNY patients that have lost their teeth, but those cases were a direct result of inconsistent vitamin supplementation. Have you had blood tests run recently? I would start there.

I'm sorry this is happening to you and I hope you can find out the cause of these issues. Dental issues can be really debilitating.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 309/194/145

I have teeth problems now. I have noticed they are losing their whiteness but not from coffee or tarter. one in front cracked. Think mine is from no fluoride in the water here. my kids teeth are turning out to be the same. We have lived here for four years. I make sure to get all the calcium in that is recommended. I don't believe its from surgery but I will be asking the dentist and wls when my next appts are with them.
SnowAngel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

i vote for a calcium check and bone density as well. Also, if you've been throwing up a lot [trust me, i have been], that can affect your teeth as well. Because I was doing that for more than a year - although not since my emergency gall bladder surgery - my teeth are not in the best of shape. And part of that is because my dentist's filliings aren't the greatest - they all fell out after a year - within a week of each other!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Funny you should post this. I just got a lecture from my dental hygienist. She says bc of the dramatic change in diet and volume of food I eat, I will probably need 3 cleanings a year bc of calcium deposits. But, to be fair- I have not been flossing like I should bc of the flawed mentality "I am not eating as much".... Lol. However she said reality is I will prolly have to have 3 a year. IMO that's a small rice to pay for the awesome second chance at life I have been given!!!!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #6  

I had GBS in 2005 and I've had trouble with my teeth too. I've had bone density scans almost every year and calcium checked too but other than low D3 I've been fine. My teeth, however, have been trouble. Minor cavities show up...A LOT of them it seemed between cleanings. I'm pretty good about going in every 6 mths and the last two years there's a problem each time I go in. I've also had trouble along the gum line but that could be due to dry mouth.

My dentist prescribed an oral rinse and told me about a toothpaste you can buy online to help rebuild enamel. It's pretty pricey and I can't say I've been as good about using it as I should.

I've especially had trouble with the front of my teeth which is weird. not the bottoms or sides, where I normally get wear and cavities.

Yeah, I know...not good news but you're not alone.

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote