Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #1  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Default 200# lost as of today. How to keep a positive attitude?

I am still in shock! I never really believed I would get to this point. At the same time I never understood how hard it would be. I have had lots of post surgery complications, none of them life threatening, but all of the debilitating. I am really discouraged but try to encourage myself by saying I never could have lost this weight with out surgery. Any ideas on keeping a positive attitude in the face of multiple challenges.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Oh my gosh! 200 pounds! That's amazing! Just think of how much longer you will live now that you helped your body by lightening things up! Your heart thanks you, I am sure. I don't know anything about WLS but I just wanted to say congratulations. I'm sure some other people will be able to contribute something helpful, but until then, amazing!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Amazing and truly inspirational!
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #4  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

That is awesome!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #5  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

First of all

Second, what do you mean you could never have lost the weight without surgery? Sure, it played a part in getting down 200lbs, but it was YOU that got the weight down by making the choice to do something about it.

As for keeping a positive attitude: what makes you happy? For me it's writing or watching a movie (yup, I'm 90% sedentary!) and sometimes even running helps. Most of all, find some time to take a break from everything and do something for yourself. Buy a new outfit, get your nails done, go see your favourite team play or take a vacation. In other words, try not to dwell on the past and how you got to where you are and instead concentrate on making yourself happy.

(I hope this makes sense and helps )
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

oh honey. a double edged sword, isn't it? first of all, the weight loss is fabulous - even though it's come at a price. I, too, would never have lost this weight without the surgery, and, in fact, would probably have passed away by this time without it.

work on these health issues you have - as much as it hurts to say this, it's kinda nice to have docs actually PAY ATTENTION to what's going on with you, instead of just dismissing it to your weight [and if only you'd lose weight ... blah blah blah].

doesn't make it easier, though. you've come such a long way, and learned so much about how you eat, and what, and why ... you can get through this. and you and i can do it together!!!!!

jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #7  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

wow that is awesome.. 200lbs.. wow... seriously inspiring
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

Thank you to all for your kind words. I still have my challenges but they are not stopping me. I am now up to 215 pounds lost with 75 to go. Almost 3/4s of the way there one day at a time.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #9  
Pounds...A Losing Battle

S/C/G: 163/149/130

Height: 5'6"

That is such an incredible accomplishment...I'm sorry you had complications to deal with, but still...Wow!
Bunny924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

there ya go!!! don't stop! don't give up!!! look at what you've accomplished and be proud.

i took a long look at myself nekked in the mirror this morning - what an AWFUL sight. All saggy and wrinkly. looks like i've melted. but frankly, I don't care, especially after i took a good, long look at my COLLAR BONES!!!!! i could see them!!!!

and then, of course, i accidentally put on a pair of summer jammies last night that literally fell off of me when i stood up. I could wear them a couple of years ago... but oh well!!!!!

there's always gonna be something lurking behind the next corner, but after all we've been through, and ALL WE'VE ACCOMPLISHED, we can keep going.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #11  
Hanging in the Heartland

Hi Folks,

Another milestone. I am a few pounds away from having lost half of my starting weight. It feels fabulous and frightening I am hoping I have the strength to stay the course. I have a tendency to feel I do not deserve good things. TO @#%$ with that. Send me the good vibes. I need all the help I can get right now to not be too frightened to keep on keeping on.

Best,

Dee aka activeadventurer
Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Congratulations on your milestone! What an inspiration!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

O M G!!!!! you don't deserve all the good things that come with ALL THIS HARD WORK????? get that idea out of your head!!!!

Seriously, though. Imagine me - or Kayley - or Jane - or anyone else sitting in front of you and telling you that we don't think we deserve this.

What would you say to us?

ok. so after you come up with that, write it down and carry it around with you! it's BEYOND time to replace those negative scripts that are playing in your head [and mine and everyone else's] with something more positive.

And PS - what are you afraid of? there are many possibilities. facing these fears is part of the 'life-changing' aspect of the surgery. You can always tell us, and we'll do our best to help, but please also be open to the idea that professional counseling might be useful.

Last edited by jiffypop; 08-11-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Oh my grammar!!!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #14  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Dee - Congratulations on such a tremendous accomplishment! You look amazing, and I'll bet you feel much better too, despite the complications. You definitely deserve to have a healthy, happy, long and active life! Heck, we ALL do, that's why we have chosen to have this surgery.

Yesterday, I went to the funeral of a dear family friend. No, he didn't have WLS, but he did have a full and very happy life for each of his 87 years. Even at the end, he was still quick with a smile and a joke.

Being at his funeral just reinforced my decision to have surgery (I'm still pre-op) because I want a long, healthy and active life...and right now, my health and mobility problems limit the things I want to do....so I'm taking steps to turn it around.

I'll get off my soapbox...just want to say that you have achieved a tremendous accomplishment and you're an inspiration to me and many others.

Hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #15  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Wow! That is a massive weight loss! Well done!
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote