Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/225/120

Height: 5'0

Default A new doctor told me I was eligible...

Okay so I'm only 5 feet tall (no joke, in fact some people tell me, I barely hit that), and I weigh over 200 lbs. So anyway when I saw this doctor for the first time, I weighed in at 244.1 lbs. I know that's at least 100 lbs over what I should be, I know and I asked her about my chances for surgery and she said that I would qualify but I'd have to try a diet and fail, which I have. She suggested WW and walked me through the site. Anyway, I signed up a day later and immediately started working on my points. It didn't work, I'm 5 lbs more and IDK if I really want surgery but just being told that I would qualify is scary. What should I do?
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #2  

Height: 6-1.5

How long ago was this? I am only asking because I have read places that when you start a new feeding routine, your body can go whacko for a while until it settles down. For instance the 5 pound gain might be water gain or something because your diet has changed.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/225/120

Height: 5'0

Roughly a month ago. I know not a long time but it was mentally a crazy month for me.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I'd be giving WW another go. Or else finding another plan that you feel confident with, because some plans work for some people but not for others. If you haven't already, start a blog, I find it really helps. Keep a daily food diary and weigh and measure everything. Maybe if you feel comfortable you could post what you were eating while on WW and we can try to help you work out why it didn't work. Best of luck! Look forward to hearing updates on your progress.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

hey princess - sounds like there's a lot going on with you. first of all, how often does your doc want you to check in with her? many insurance companies require 6 months of documented weight loss attempt/failure. Other companies want a year.

are you doing WW on line exclusively or are you going to meetings, too? i don't know much about WW on line - i'm hoping that there's some additional support there [the WW forum on 3FC would know all that stuff].

All i can really say, though, is to try not to panic. And keep your doc in the loop.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

PrincessKLS, you've been given some good pointers here already, and I would like to add that a couple of your first steps regarding the possibility of surgery is to attend a free information meeting about bariatric surgery. The info gleaned there can help you in making a decision about it. Also, contact your insurance company to see what they require.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #7  

Dear PrincessKLS, You weigh too high.According to your height your weight should be between 113 to 126 lbs But you weigh 244 .Roughly speaking you should loose about 118 lbs that is around 53 kg to get back to your normal weight!But don't worry!I knew a man who weighed 345 lbs(5'8) . Now he is just 156 lbs .He lost around 100 lbs through laparoscopic gastric band surgery done at Credit Valley Clinic at Ontario.But rest of the herculean task of loosing 89lbs goes to his credit!He accomplished that with rigorous exercise and diet!And this man is my husband!So don't worry about the overweight.There is nothing in the world that you cant achieve if you have the will and determination to do it!
Sandy7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

If you are doing online alone, I don't think the support is that high on their message boards. Although that might just be me. Use one of these boards on 3fc for support? Have you explored the new simple start that WW is encouraging? I tried a few of the recipes this week and YUM! If you follow those menus, you are using power foods instead of a lot of rigorous counting. Feel free to invest in a pedometer! Try to increase your steps every day!

You mentioned you was scared to be eligible for it. Do you think you could have been eating over or not counting ever lick and bite because of stress/emotions? It's a very scary scary thing to realize! But you CAN do this, no matter what you decide (surgery or non surgery).

If you want a buddy, I could be your WW buddy. Accountability really helps! I could send you a few of my favorite WW recipes (that's why I keep my sub is for the recipes!).
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote