Yikes!!! Two days until surgery

• Hi Folks,

I am a long time poster @3FC but have never posted on the WLS thread. I am 2 days out from a duodenal switch. I have been preparing for at least a year. This is the first time I have felt nervous. Not so much about the surgery. More about will I be able to get back to my life in time to do the things I want to do. I am a law student and school starts August 20. My surgeon assures me I will be up and out of the house in 2 weeks, but I am skeptical.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and have a lot of confidence in my team (psychologist, dietician, endocrinologist, and surgeon). I guess it is just "crunch time" with a few last minute nerves. Today is my last day at my current job and I guess I am nervous about that too.

My husband died suddenly last year and the hardest part about the surgery is doing it without him. I have been crying a lot and missing him. I set up a CaringBridge page for support. (If you would like access, you can PM me with an email address). I am really looking forward to the surgery but it is definitely harder doing it without my sweetie, Mark.

That last paragraph was good for a cry. I guess it really is "one day at a time".

Best,

Dee aka active adventurer
  • Hey Dee! You're going to rock the surgery Hang in there, and know that Mark is still watching over you. I'm sure this is nerve wracking stuff, but you've spent a lot of time preparing and I'm certain you've done it well. Do your very best to put as much stress aside as you can and remember that this is a first step into a new life that will be much different but hopefully also much improved. Besides, we all know that first step is always the hardest...mostly because it usually feels more like a giant leap than a step! I will be rooting for you!
  • Thoughts and prayers to you as you go through this difficult transition.
  • Sending out HUGS and PRAYERS....Things will go fine!!!!!!!!!!! Just think....a new life, new doors, new opportunities.......I am excited about your next Chapter with Destiny...

P.S.- I'm also a law school survivor.
  • Good luck to you
  • Thank you for your sweet words. I am now 8 days post op and have lost 25 pounds. I am stunned. They said I would lose 30-50 pounds the first month. I was very skeptical. While in the hospital, I received a photo of a memorial bench, honoring my late husband, that will be placed at the state fair for years to come. It really gave me a sense of peace. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Dee
  • Dee how are you doing? Im new here and just read this thread. Im coming up on my surgery very soon. I hope you are doing well. My heart goes out to you with loosing your husband. I am sure he would be proud of you for making this journey. I wish you much success!
  • Hi Folks,

I am a little more than a month out from my surgery. things went well. Some pain problems came up but I am off the pain meds for a week and driving again. I have so far lost 85 pounds (35 pre op and 50 post op). I am thrilled!

I have not found the post op diet hard to follow. A little boring maybe,but as I have been able to introduce new foods, less so.I find having the energy and focus to do law school very challenging. I just try to take it one day at a time.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. I hope your surgery goes well dream4 me.

Dee