Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #16  
Old Cackler

gina marie... you are NOT allowed to stop posting here!!!!! we'd be heartbroken!!!

You and hubby should probably be granted insurance approval. it's pretty much a slam-dunk if you follow all those stupid rules. except for chickadee who has kaiser and they can't tell which end is up or even what to do with it when they find it!!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:27 AM   #17  
CatGal

Thanks Justpranz2 and Jiff!

I am just afraid that I will feel so terrible after surgery.

The last surgery I had was on my arm. A plate that had been put in the year before didn't heal correctly and they had to remove it, put in two more and do a hip graft! I was on the table for 10 hours, and I felt the worst I ever have in my life after that. I am sure that a 90 minute Lap procedure won't make me feel that bad.

I am also afraid of the vomiting and "dumping". That does not sound good at all! Have any of you been able to avoid it?

Also, am I going to have to give up sugar forever??? I don't think so. But I have read that the body can no longer handle it post op.

Calling the Surgeon again today. Should have a date for a consult later today!

Thanks,
Gina
Old 06-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #18  
she who must be obeyed

Gina keep the questions coming.

I for one have never thrown up! I can eat anything, as a matter of fact on Saturday I had birthday cake. Not dumping.......I don't dump......is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing cause I can eat anything.......it's a curse cause I can eat anything

My motto is "everything in moderation." Now the first few months there will most likely be trigger foods that may make you ill.......you may not thorw up, you might just feel like you want to.

I really need to let the other's share their first few months experience here, mine was spent in the hospital, so there is nothing typical about my first 3 months.

And Gina, you will feel less than perfect after surgery, but it will not last forever.........and in my opinion it is so worth it!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:36 PM   #19  
Old Cackler

dumping is NOT PRETTY. nor is throwing up on a regular basis. ice cream is a major no-no. more than 2 tbs make me very very ill [dumping]. tiny pieces of cake are ok. a couple of cookies are ok, especially if eaten at the end of the day after meeting protein goals.

neither of these things is fun, but it's not the end of the world. at this point, i throw up because i either ate too fast, it was too dry, or i didn't chew well enough. or i ate 1 bite too many. in other words, it was all my fault.

and remember i threw up for a solid month, several times a day. it ended. it's ok.

and you won't feel great after the surgery, but it won't be anything at all like you experienced with other surgeries. unless, of course, you'[re debkay and end up with complications
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #20  
CatGal

The more research I do, the more I realize that the big challange will be health insurance approval! I am NOT looking forward to it. But I will persevere!
G
Old 06-20-2003, 11:59 AM   #21  
she who must be obeyed

Gina that is a big hurdle. You sit on pins and needles after everything is submitted....it's like they have your life in their hands and I guess they do.

I think Cigna has tightned up somewhat, but still overall a pretty easy company to get approval from, from all that I have read. Of course it depends on what exclusions your company had written in. Check your handbook. Mine said.......treatment of obesity if medically necessary.

Don't worry we will talk you through it!
Old 06-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #22  
CatGal

OOH! Good point Deb. I will have to check out our insurance handbook!
Closed Thread