Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #1  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

Default Feeling overwhelemed after first lapband appointment

So Monday i went to my first appointment about the lapband. I was not aware that i have to go back 3 times for a normal visit, 1 for a psych, 1 for meeting the doctor, 1 i have to take a day off for the throat thing where they knock you out, blood work, an upper gi xray and my normal doctor for an overal ok. Thats 9 doctors appointments which is crazy plus 30 a pop for my copay each time. On top of that i need to quit smoking 6 weeks prior to surgery and lose 15 lbs also. I knew it wasnt going to be easy but on top of that i didnt realize how much weight i had gained after seeing the number 300 on the scale it ruined me. I just feel so depressed and overwhelmed with having to do all of this hopefully within 3 months so i can get the surgery as soon as i can.
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #2  

Hi Amberkkski,

Are you absolutely set on having the surgery?

I only ask because my doctor had recommended WLS and I was so afraid to do it (nothing personal about WLS, I am scared of any kind of surgery ). I asked my doctor if I could try a medically supervised diet first and see if I could lose any weight that way. She approved, esp. since the surgery/insurance would probably require it for a time period anyways and guess what, I lost weight and am learning how to eat like a "normal" person!! I would have never known I could even do this without seeing a sign that I swear was advertised to me on the hospital wall as I left my appointment.

I have lost my weight in just about 8 months and still plugging along with 2-4lbs a week weightloss. This is almost on par (if not more) that I would have lost having the surgery without having to go through the recovery and easing back into exercise.

Please know, this post is not to discourage you from having the surgery. I am all for whatever works for anyone to get their weight off. I just never knew I had any alternative.

And I just looked at my calendar, at 3 months into my diet, I was down 60lbs. !!

I wish you lots of luck!! I hope you get more replies with helpful information.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #3  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

So sorry that all of that was a shock. Did they not ask you to go to a seminar first that explained how involved the medical preparation is? WLS is a major, life-changing decision. All of those things are done for a reason and they give you time to really process whether this is right for you or not.

Take a deep breath and give yourself some time to process the information. And DO YOUR RESEARCH.

We're here if you have more questions. :-)
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

ok Amber BREATHE. relax. honest. Now, let me ask the BIG question - about your insurance. have you checked with them about what THEY require? many insurance companies are requiring people to have at least 6 months of supervised weight loss effort. If that's the case, they won't approve you in 3 months no matter what.

As for all the doc appts, like MadCow said, many - most, in fact - surgeons have informational seminars in which they tell people what the process is generally like. YES it's jumping through hoops, but they're important ones to make sure that you understand what you're getting into, and that you're healthy. Or to at least find out what's going on with you so that they can be prepared during the surgery.

I know what i'm about to say won't exactly make you feel better, but I just want to let you know that it really could be worse - i had a couple of visits to a cardiologist [including a couple of stress tests], a sleep study, several visits to the pulmonologist, a couple of visits with the peripheral vascular disease guy, who installed a stent in my aorta. the psych exam was a piece of cake by comparison! oh. and the 'swallow the camera' event as well.

hang in there - just keep jumping through the hoops.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #5  

Elvis - i did really well with a personal trainer and nutritionist a while back and dropped 30lbs and then unfortunately went back into my old routines again. This is something that has gone back and forth in my mind for quite some time and i just think it will be good for me.

Madcow - they said you would have to go back to their office for the 3 months but never said how much! and never talked about the blood work, xray and normal doctor visit. Fortunately my dad was awesome and gave me all the money for the copays so thats one less stress i have to deal with. (im in a wedding in may thats costing me a small fortune too lol)

Jiffy - yea my ins requires that i lose 5% of my overall weight and go to the doctors for 3 months. And honestly it did make me feel a little better! Haha im sorry you had to go through all of that, i cant even imagine!! I know all these things are important to do i just cant believe how much it is! And i got embarrassed because i ended up just telling my boss why i would be taking long lunches and leaving early and i just wasnt ready to tell anybody outside of family about it! Im feeling a little better about everything though.

Last edited by Amberkkski; 03-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #6  

Hey Amber! I'm also in the process of getting a band, and yes the jumping through the hoops part is really overwhelming and stressful, but having been through four months with only two to go, I really think it's going to be worth it!

The thing that keeps me going is constantly reminding myself that the time will pass anyways and I'd much rather be getting surgery in a few months than being exactly where I am wondering if I should start the process now.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

ooooooooo - great point, Sarah!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #8  

Sarah agreed! I kind of let myself get into this weird funk after going to that appointment :/ Our minds are funny things! lol Im on day 3 of quitting smoking and holding up better than i thought and im trying to stick to eating right and exercising which is getting difficult with trying to quit smoking at the same time but i know ill get through it Thanks everyone