Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282

Height: 168cm

Default Gastric Sleeve

Hi Guys.

I am undertaking the Gastric Sleeve Surgery here in Australia on the 8th April.

I see my dietician on Thursday to start the eating plan (or lack there of )

I'm excited, I've been overweight my entire adult life, losing 10-20 kilos on strict diets only to gain it back and more . Now my health at 34 years old is starting to suffer and with a 2 year old son and the desire for more children I've finally done something serious and taken that first step. My Surgeon sounds fantastic and says I'm a great candidate and he is optimistic that I will have great success.

Just looking for likeminded people to share my journey with and discuss my thoughts/offer advice.

Thanks!
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Welcome aboard, Shyne! sounds like you're all set! why did you decide on the sleeve over the other options? there's no right or wrong answer to that Q, BTW, but it's helpful to others to know what goes into how we made our decisions.

Every once in a while we get some Aussies through here, but not often enough. Does wanting to visit count?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #3  

Hi Jiffy! Thank you.

I choose the sleeve as the Dr recommended it. I heard the band can come with complications. And because i have to travel 6 hours to have the surgery, the Sleeve has less follow up than the band....and it's more permanent (not like I'd want to reverse it!). the Bypass wasn't an option with the surgeon, as they only do bands and sleeves. - I have two friends who've had the band and both have had amazing success
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

Several years ago, I read that the band was the most common WLS being done in Australia, but after banding everyone in sight [an exaggeration- of course], the health ministry was SHOCKED at the cost of the maintenance - what with fills and adustments and such.

I gotta tell you that if the sleeve had been available when i had my surgery, I would have given it very serious consideration. My RNY and I have done very well together, but my first preference would have been to avoid the malabsorption component. OTOH, maybe that's exactly what's made it work so well for me! we'll never know.

Will you have to do protein shakes? higher protein for the rest of your life? inquiring minds want to know!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #5  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Hi Shyne!

Oh my goodness... You must be getting so excited! I know I was a bundle of excitement and nerves leading up to things.

6 hours is a long trip... Have they asked you to stay close for any amount of time post op? How long do they get you to stay in hospital after? etc.

Shell
(I'm Canadian in Ontario so we follow specific guidelines here)
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #6  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm 35 and slightly concerned about the malabsorbion. My friend had RNY 9 years ago, lost 165lbs and then went on to have great pregnancies (now pregnant w #3). She looks and seems to feel amazing. I'm doing everything she tells me to at this point! LOL

I'm done having kids, so I'm not as worried about that. And with my other health issues banding was not an option for me and Drs suggested RNY over sleeve repeatedly. So, that's my story. :-)
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #7  

Jiffy - I have my first dietician appt tomorrow. He will discuss all the protein needs with me and assume he'll start me on a liquid diet. In all honestly it's happening so quick I'm pushing to keep up! LoL. It was literally at my first appointment a week ago that they discussed what surgery, booked in my appointment and off I went. Although I've been researching it a long time, the realism that it's literally less than 4 weeks away kind of scares the beejesus out of me, but I'm also looking forward to it!

Shell - Yes! I'm super excited, It is a long way. Although I'm flying down and back. They expect I'll be in hospital 3-5 nights, so I've allowed 4 nights stay and coming home on the 5th Day. The flighty is approx an hour. I have cleared it with my Dr and he says most patients in my area fly down and back and I should be fine to fly pending no complications with surgery. - although he doesn't expect any issues, as I'm a perfect candidate apparently - at least I'm perfect at something! LOL

Madcow - Thanks for the reply! I definitely want more kids, it's one of my major goals. So your friends success is a bit motivational kick for me!!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

and i have several friends who've had successful pregnancies after RNY. one had two beautiful little girls about 8 and 10--ish years postop. She was considered a higher risk pregnancy because of her low iron levels, but with careful care, she was just fine [and those two little girls make us all laugh].
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #9  

New here. Greetings.

OP: Glad someone is talking about this as after reading (a little) about this option this is something I'm seriously considering (I'm very early in the process though). You've still a month to go but I hope all goes well. Will follow your updates and whatnot in this thread.
FlyingSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #10  

Thanks FS.

Jiffy!! - Sounds adorable. It's a big motivator for me, due to the fact that my son was IVF I'd love to be able to conceive naturally. My Dr has advised I wait 12 months post op before falling pregnant, but heck, I can wait that long!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #11  

Everything will be alright!!!!
Karalopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

shyne - that waiting is REALLY important. you have to be sure that you're keeping food down, getting all the nutrition you need, and that your vitamin and mineral levels are up. It's a challenge to keep them up during pregnancy, and you'll probably have to be monitored. But you can't run the risk of low calcium or the B vitamins - you just CAN'T
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #13  

Yeah, I'm happy to wait.... A 2-3 year old and a newborn doesn't appeal to me anyway LOL.

I had my dietician appt today. I start my optifast diet on the 1st April (just sneaking in EAster there WooT!) and then it's all downhill from there. (well not really).
I have my flights down and back booked, just need to book accomodation for the single night I'm there before surgery.

It's all a bit real now.....
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

How exciting! How are you feeling?
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #15  

Does "crapping myself" count as an appropriate adjective?

LOL