Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #1  

Default Gastric Sleeve?

My mother got the gastric sleeve, went from 190 lbs to 100 lbs.

I've been considering it myself, but I'm having a hard time finding more information on it. It's not reversible right? I kind of like the idea of it, so I can lose weight, but at the same time I'm unsure.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

here's some basic information to get you started - http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/gastric.htm

are you able to talk with your mother's surgeon about having the surgery? most surgeons require people to attend a general information meeting before making an appt. It's important to understand what you're getting into - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

and the sleeve [aka vertical sleeve gastrectomy - to give you another search term] is indeed irreversible - most of your stomach is removed.

REMEMBER: surgery is NOT a quick fix - it's a FOREVER commitment, and most of the battle takes place in your head.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

It is indeed not a quick fix. But one heck of a portion control tool. I had the sleeve done in Nov. I have to watch what I eat. And exercise. I now have little tolerance for fatty foods which is a good thing. Sugar doesn't bother me so I still have to watch that. Even though I knew going into the surgery it wasn't reversible I have to remind myself of that every time I take one more bite than I should. Almost 4 months out, it has been slow losing but steady. That is ok. I hope you think long and hard about your decision. Like they say..The surgeons can change your body but only you can change your way of thinking. best of luck, Sue

Last edited by sueBhoney; 02-19-2013 at 02:58 PM.
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #4  
Work In Progress

S/C/G: 355/199/180

Height: 5'6''

I've had the sleeve. I'm a year and a half out and almost 170 lbs down. I have a blog I kept from pre-op until recently which you can find at mybariatricsurgery.blogspot.com Maybe you can find some answers to your questions there.
NYCKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote