Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1  

Default Anyone my age (or close) have RNY?

Hi

I'm scheduled for gastric bypass on November 16th. I turned 69 this past summer. Is there anyone who has had this or other WLS who is as old as I am?
If so, how has it gone for you?

Thanks,
Jill
lunawho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

there are a couple of us who are, ummm, well aged around here - but i'm about 10 years younger than you. There are a few who are in their mid-60s [akrosey comes to mind], and they've done GREAT. not all their arthritic aches and pains have stopped [of course], but they're more active and happier.

they don't post very often, unfortunately <and they should>.

what made you decide to go this route? and how did Medicare treat you? we're here to help!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #3  

Hi Jiffypop!

Thanks for answering. Like many who have posted, I have tried many diets, lost some weight, then gained it back and more. I have been overweight since my teens. I remember saying when I was in my 20's that I would be a normal weight before I turned 30. Never made it. I finally decided that I will have surgery to have the best life possible for my remaining years. Hopefully, I may have 20 more?? My mom passed a year ago this coming Saturday at 89 and my grandmother, her mother, also passed away at age 89, almost 90.

My son had sleeve surgery last January and is doing great. I thought I wanted sleeve also. But "Dr. Oz says" bypass is the best. I haven't been able to meet with the doctor who'll do the surgery to get his opinion - I think that's a little strange!

Medicare is great!! It will cover all my expenses, no waiting period, no requirements, nothing. I guess they "get it". That was another reason for going ahead with surgery. I never could have paid myself.

I start pre-op classes next week, so I'll see how it goes.

Jill
lunawho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Many surgeons don't schedule appts with patients until after they've completed some classes or some introductory sessions. As for Dr Oz saying that bypass is best, well. ummm. let's see. Oz is an outstanding cardiologist [or at least was in the past], but a diet doc? I'm skeptical.

For some folks, the sleeve is a great choice, for others, duodenal switch is the best [especially for diabetics], still others do best with the bypass [and it's also great for diabetics, but there are some benefits to the DS], and then there are lapband fans.

so, have a chat with your surgeon to figure out what would work best FOR YOU, not for Dr Oz.

sympathies on your mother's anniversary. hope you're dealing OK ...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote