Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/249/180

Height: 5'9"

Default stretching out your pouch

I am only 6 weeks out from gastric bypass and feel like I can eat way too much. For 2-3 weeks I could eat small amounts(1/2 cup or so) and still felt like that was alot for being so early out. I've heard of so many RNYers who could only eat tablespoons of food. Ive never been one of those. I can eat a whole hamburger patty and still not feel full. I'm stuck at 25lbs lost and I'm starting to get pretty worried. I'd really like to keep shedding the pounds!
LayLay2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #2  

Hi im rosey from alaska its been a yr for me since my surg and what a wild ride i had lots od doubts and questions too. i just stayed with the amounts and foods my dietician told me. at about 8 weeks i stopped loosing.i think thats normal from what i read as your body is adjusting. i found a web site that was really helpful with good info and recipes that kick started my losses. its called theworldaccordingtoeggface all run together. i followed her advice esp giving up carbs and now ive lost 120# and still loosing. i feel great. just keep doing what your dr,s say and it will happen. good luck (((hugs))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't have an RNY, but two things I want to point out:
  • In your first couple weeks, your insides were still swollen, so it's completely normal that, as the swelling goes down with healing, you'll have slightly less restriction.
  • It's 110% normal to hit your first stall around 4-6 weeks out as your body has depleted its glycogen stores (glycogen being a good chunk of that super early weight loss gush) and is essentially just trying to figure out what you've done! You're not done for good - be patient
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Laylay - i'm wondering - how long is it taking you to eat your burger [for example?]. most docs say that whether or not we've finished what's on our plates, we should stop eating after 20 minutes and either wrap it up or toss it.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #5  
Re-losing found weight

S/C/G: 259/241/175

Height: 5'8"

I agree with jiffypop in that it is important to stop after a set time otherwise you end up eating more than intended. Also, are you following the no drinking 30 minutes before and at least 30 minutes after rule? If not that can wash food through the pouch.

Besides the hamburger patty, what are the consistencies of foods that you eat? Soft foods can move through faster and the pouch can hold more of these types of foods.

The most important question I have is have you talked to your surgeon? Ultimately all surgeons have different techniques and different post-op protocols. Some make super tiny pouches and don't allow solids for quite a while and others may move their patients through the stages quicker. They all have reasons for their guidelines so ultimately it is good to ask your surgeon or his staff if you are concerned about the volume you should be able to hold.

It's been a long time for me but I recall two weeks on liquids, two on full liquids, two on soft solids and then add other foods in as tolerated. I think it was a while before I could eat a hamburger patty but my surgery was a revision of a stomach stapling and a bit more complicated.

Another place to seek information and experiences is the website obesityhelp dot com. Once again though, your surgeon is the best resource for YOUR surgery.

Good luck and keep posting,
Kellye
red65 is offline   Reply With Quote