3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Well, it's a year ago today....... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/23775-well-its-year-ago-today.html)

debkay 01-14-2003 07:23 AM

Well, it's a year ago today.......

My surgery was one of the best things that ever happened to me and one of the worst things that ever happened to me.

The worst.........because of the complications. The complications are over now, and I have no lasting affects. My nurse friend told me that in it's self is a small miracle. For those who don't know the complications started with a leak in my new stomach pouch. It was repaired but created many other problems. I spent 6 1/2 weeks in ICU most of the time on a vent. 4 weeks in a rehab hospital learning to walk again.

The best........because I have been given my life back. I was slowly dying from my weight and the complications I was having due to my weight. Now, I have energy, my health is terrific, I can do things I never thought possible.

I've lost a little over 120 pounds since March (had gained up to that date, due to high calorie tube feedings.) I'm at my lowest adult weight since 1980!!!!! It is such a wonderful feeling. I was married in 1980......my wedding dress almost fits. The day I can put that bugger back on and model it for hubby will be a great day for me.

Surgery is not right for everyone.....I would never say that it was, but it was right for me.

One happy camper
Debbie

jiffypop 01-14-2003 07:52 AM

happy anniversary!!!!!!

it's been a long, hard road, but look at you now!!!!

as for the big question.. are you going to renew your vows when the wedding dress fits perfectly???? that's a small window of opportunity, ya know.. wait too long and it'll have to be taken in!!!

can peachie and i come to the ceremony????

congratulations.... and much love

newchickontheblock 01-14-2003 07:01 PM

oh that sounds so hard!!! I am glad you are over that. Congrats on the anniversary!

peach pit 01-14-2003 08:11 PM

I always wanted to be a flower girl...but I would be satisfied singing Ave Maria with a feather boa!

Seriously, Debkay....your dh was so kind to call me every sunday and up date me on your condition. I know it was awful for you and awful for your family too.

I am glad you are alive
I am glad you are well
I am glad you are my friend!

love,
peach
I think that is enough mush for one day, don't you?

1 of our fat people 01-14-2003 08:11 PM

Debbie,
Wow! You are doing great! It wasn't your time to go last year, despite all your complications.

I am not really afraid of dying during WLS... I am a Christian and I have faith that God will take me when He's good and ready, no matter if I have surgery or not!

My mother is 100% against me having surgery. She refuses to ask me anything at all about it... she told my sister that she will not support this surgery in any way. I worry that complications will affect her badly, more so than myself.
She's always telling me about this or that bad effect it could have on me... losing my hair, being sick, etc.

Did any of you have people who discouraged you from having surgery? How did you handle it?

I know that I could just not discuss it with anyone, but I am very outgoing and like to talk things over with my friends and family.

Patty

csbutton 01-14-2003 08:19 PM

Debbie: You are a blessing to this site.

Peachie: I promise to renew my vows if Debbie won't only if you will be my flower girl and walk down the aisle in a pink boa singing Ava Maria.

Patty: My mom discouraged me...from the Lap-Band surgery. Then after I had it done tried to make me feel guilty that the only way she could afford to lose weight was to starve herself.
One of my closest friends changed when I said I was having surgery. She is not supportive nor encouraging, hasn't called me in two weeks...*sigh*. But that's to be expected.

If I did this again I would be even more selective than I was about who I told.

peach pit 01-14-2003 08:27 PM

sheeeeesh Amy! You want me to WALK and SING at the same time???????

YOWSER!

peach
who would be happy to......but can't carry a tune....but can carry flowers! :D

gotta run!

peach pit 01-14-2003 08:29 PM

Amy! Excellent advice on being more selective of who you (or I should tell) !

I have told two people so far, other than my dh and sisters.....I have the feeling it may have been ONE too many.....just a feeling.

thanks!
peach
who really is out of here for the night!

jiffypop 01-14-2003 11:33 PM

peachie... who did you tell????? now i'm nervous!!!

just about everyone loses some hair, BUT IT GROWS BACK!!!! you DO feel lousy at the beginning, and you MIGHT throw up a lot [90% of patients do; debk was in that lucky 10% who didn't; i wasn't]

and your mom really doesn't have to support you in this effort. all you REALLY need is the conviction that this is the right choice for YOU, and the commitment to do what you have to. she may be worried and upset as she sees the early side effects, but you are the one who has to live with them.

but having support really does help, especially at the beginning when you feel like SH+++ and can drink clear liquids.

i was extremely lucky. everyone was so supportive, but we all knew that this was my last chance. and i had researched it for two years. everyone, even those who had their doubts, knew that i had taken a long time to come to this conclusion, and that this was really my only choice. the doubters did me the courtesy of reading up on it before they discussed it with me. and i'm forever grateful for that.

and peachiel. you have a LOVELY voice. and you DID sing a lot. ok,. sometimes they were rugby songs, but you DID sing well...

i didn't know you could sing ave maria.

ageoldie 01-15-2003 05:34 PM

Patty, You have to make up yourown mind and be sure of what you want to do no matter what orthers say or think. It was SOOOOOO hard for me to keep from tellibng Alvin what I thought he should do. He had to make up his own mind. I was probally the most "unsupportave" person he knows, and I must admit tit was from selfish reasons. 1) he would not be the oune to suffer if he died. I couldn't stand the thought of something happening to him. and 2) I enjoyed going out to eat every night and eating GOOD. It might be different with the wifey haveing surgery, but in our case, if ole Alvin doesn't want to go out and eat, we stay home, and that means I have to try to read his mind and figure out what to fix him, etc etc etc, See I said it was selfish!!! But maybe these are a couple of things that your mom is thinking. At least I had enough sense not to push my fears off on Alvin.

1 of our fat people 01-15-2003 08:52 PM

Hi Barb,

Needless to say, my mother doesn't keep her opinion to herself over anything! Aren't all mothers that way?

I have decided. I mean unless the doctor thinks I shouldn't or can't do it... I am going to have lap rny!

I have thought about it for a couple of years. Y'know, kinda at the back of my mind, like maybe a joke. "Well, one of these days I'm going to have my stomach stapled." Anyway, I mentioned it to my PCP and she said, oh I think that would be just right for you. At that time, I wasn't ready. I still had a couple of diet pills and the new gym to try out! Now I am ready. I can't wait!

My hubby comes from smaller people. Of course, it seems like everytime I try to cut down, he ends up eating more and more just to spite me! He is pretty happy with whatever I fix to eat and his motto is "You fix it and I'll eat it!:"

In your case, I can really see that I wouldn't want HIM to go through with the surgery! In fact, men are such babies at times that I told him we would have to divorce when/if he ever got another kidney stone that needed surgery! I don't know if you are heavy or not, but it sounds like you enjoy eating! I really resent it when my husband who is about 80 lbs lighter than me, goes on a diet or something... it makes me really feel fat and unable to eat with enjoyment.

As far as my mom goes, I realize that one thing she likes to do for us is to feed us. I also realize that one of my "problems" is that she has always liked to feed us. Just like one of Pavlov's dogs, whenever I enter mom's house, I feel the overwhelming urge to pig out! I am totally brainwashed and accustomed to eating big time whenever I am at my parent's home! So, I know that she is worried that she can't do things for me like cooking big dinners. I will miss it. But I won't miss the extra 130 lbs that I am carrying around!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Patty