Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #1  

Default New.. Umm, Kinda? ;)

I have been coming around 3 Chicks for a long time now, but not since I had my surgery in August. So I am new, but only kinda.. LOL

I put my stats in the Personal Info Thread but I will give them here briefly.... I had Open RNY on August 7, 2002 and I have lost 77 pounds since then. I haven't had ANY complications and I feel like a million bucks. The hardest part I have come across is trying to get in all the protein. I just ordered a Protein Supplement and am waiting for that to arrive since I just can NOT seem to eat more than 55 grams a day..

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say that I was very happy to see a spot for us here!!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #2  
Slowly going crazy!

Congratulations on your weightloss, what a success you are! ! !
I go in next Wednesday for my surgery. I'm having a lap-band put in.
It's amazing how long we wait to get healthy and the answer sometimes is right in front of us.
I am also grateful for the spot 3fc has given us here on the website.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Default hey there amylin!!!

congrats on the weight loss!!! now, just hold on a minute while i get up on my protein soapbox!!!!

now. why has it taken you so long to get a protein supplement? and what kind are you using???

you deserve congratulations for realizing that you need more than you're getting, but a slap on the wrist for taking so long to do it!!!

there are so many forms of protein on the market. some gross. some not so gross. some actually not bad. and there's a person on the low carb board who has found a source for high protein bread, with 10 grams of soy protein per slice, and about 3 grams of carbs. check out the thread. i can't remember the name of it, but there's a link for a website.

i've been using gnc's super pro performance chocolate and the premade myoplex low carb strawberry. can't stand the protein bars, though.

have you considered mixing stuff into the shake to make it more palatable? this is how i mix my protein: about 1-2 tsp or 1 tbs of unsweetened cocoa, 1 tbs SF/FF chocolate pudding mix, some calcium crystals, a packet of sweetener, and 8 oz skim milk. and then i add ice cubes AFTER it's all blended. and i 've mixed SF syrups, and instant coffee in as well.

just a thought.

oh. and i've been snacking on jerky and soy nuts. i'm finding that i need about 10 grams of protein every 3 hours or so.

you're doing great!!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 08:27 PM   #4  

Okay, Okay.. I know, it took forever to start protein.. LOL In my defense, I tried, I really did to find one I liked!!! I tried several different kinds before I gave up and decided to try and eat it all instead. But I am at 4 months and my hair is STILL falling out alot and I am tired alot and my weightloss has slowed down to like 1 pound a week, so I definately realize I need more. I have decided I will have to just choke it down whether it tastes good or not... I have heard some WONDERFUL things about Real Meals which is 30 grams of predigested whey protein per 6 oz serving. It actually arrived today, so I will have my first try of it later tonight for an evening snack. I also heard that adding a spoonful of SF Nesquik Powder REALLY helps the flavor so I am going to try that. I have tried making "shakes" and find I don't like the thickness. The Real Meals you mix up with cold liquid and ice and from what I hear has the consistency of chocolate milk. Sooo.. I am hoping I will have an easier time with it.. I like Beef Jerky so I use that, I use alot of string cheese (8 grams of protein for 1 oz.) and I eat alot of chicken and beef. I was eating yogurt for breakfast protein, but they just have too many sugar grams to justify it. Also, I cannot eat alot of sugarfree foods because it causes me to have migraines. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) I can tolerate sugar with no problems. It does not make me sick.. LOL

Anyway, Thanks to both of you for the welcome..
Old 12-13-2002, 11:47 AM   #5  

Glad you are here!!! I will be having surgery in January and I am glad for the inspiration!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:21 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

thanks for the info amy lyn. and mmm. can't wait to hear your review of the realmeals stuff... i found most of the shakes way too thick as well [talk about gagging!!!!] so that's why i started pouring them over ice instead of putting the ice in the blender with it. and i ate them with a spoon for the first couple of months. sure made a difference!!

and as much as i like it, i don't eat yogurt either. the carbs get to me, and it just doesn't have as much staying power as other things, like deviled eggs or cottage cheese.

i notice you're in connecticut. did you have your surgery done by that doc at middletown hospital? the only person in the area that does the surgery?

what was your experience? what about the post op care? support groups? one of my coworkers is planning to see him, but has an appt in about 5 months. and i want her to have the best care possible...
Old 12-14-2002, 04:45 PM   #7  

Jiffy, there are actually quite a few Dr.'s in this area now that do the surgery!! At least 7 or 8!! I used Dr. Antonio Macatol in Waterbury, CT and he was WONDERFUL!!!! I love him and have referred 3 people to him just since I had my surgery... I had a slight complication during surgery in that I had an elarged liver so I ended up being open instead of "mini open" a 5 inch cut instead ofa 3 inch. Oh well. LOL Other than that I have been complication free since day 1. I go to a support group that meets in Ansonia, CT every other Monday and they are nice.

Oh and the Real Meals.. I am going to post a separate review on them..
Old 12-14-2002, 06:38 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

so glad to hear about this... i'll have to let her know.. anyone doing lap? or does everyone do open?
Closed Thread