cost of lap-band?

• Hi, i was just wondering if anyone who has had the lap-band procedure can tell me what the cost was, and how much the fill is? i do not have the type of insurance that will cover weight loss procedures, so id like to know how much it would be. i have heard that it is much cheaper to get done in mexico and i would be willing to travel if i could afford it. any info you could give me on this subject would be much appreciated. thank you.
  • Hi! I went to Monterrey, Mexico and the wonderful Dr. Rumbaut did my surgery. With surgery, hospital costs, travel (for 2) and hotel it cost me about $14,000. Less then the price for a new car. My opinion is that a lot of people would by a new car, why not buy a healthy body that will last longer?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Blondee
  • thank you for responding to my post. unfortunately i will have to wait awhile before i am able to afford such surgery. i do not have health care through my job, and i have regence blue shield private insurance. as far as i can tell they do not pay for this. how have your results been with the surgery? i need to lose about 120 pounds more (ive lost 15). small amount but im working on it. thanks again.
  • Just thought I would chime in here.

I will be going to Mexico as well (dr. Kuri in Tijuana) he charges $8500.00 and then you pay travel and hotel. The charges include hospital stay, tests, and all your fills.

He called me on the phone the day after I signed his online contact form, and we talked for quite a while.

I've been quoted $18000.00 for the lap-band in Seattle by Dr. Oh. Too much money IMHO, and then to have to pay for fills on top of that, and that doesn't included any presurgery tests.
  • What are "fills" ?
  • thanks for the reply amy. i was wondering if you have the fills done in mexico also or if you can get those done locally? gosh i would love to get that surgery done, i hope all goes well for you! good luck
  • chrissy. from what i understand [and i hope someone jumps in if i'm wrong]! the lapband is a ring around your stomach. and this ring can be loosened and tightened by adding or taking out saline [basically salt water]. and tightening the band is called a fill. they fill it with saline.

and it makes your little tiny tummy pouch empty more slowly than a looser band.
  • Jiffy is right, a fill will help tighten your band to where YOU want it to be. That's what's good about this surgery is that it's adjustable to your needs.

Surgery ranges from $18,000 here in the Seattle area, to the price I quoted of $8500.

Average prices are around $10,000 but only if you go out of the country.

I chose out of the country because they have been doing the lap-band surgery for many years now. IT has only been approved in the US since 2001, so many US doctors aren't quite 'there' as to the techniques, etc.
  • I agree with Amy! The reason I went to Mexico along with the fact that it's cheaper is that they've been doing it longer down there and they are the experts. From what I understand a lot of American Doctors are going down there to learn. This is a practice makes perfect surgery and I wanted to have my surgery done by someone who has placed a lot of bands.

Amy, I also live in Washington state.

Blondee
    Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico
    10/1/02
    -40 lbs.