Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #1  

Default Offered WLS but terrified of surgery

OK, this might be a long story, so please bear with me.

I am 30 with a BMI of 50. I have severe back and hip problems (not caused by weight but birth defect) which have put me in a wheelchair for 6 years of my life already. I am currently able to walk a little. I have 2 kids, aged 7 and 5 and my partner who would be supportive of WLS. I have also suffered from depression since I was 3 (yes 3 and thank goodness for Seroxat! LOL). Both of my parents have Type II diabetes and heart problems (I'm doomed!). I LOVE food!

I have been overweight since my mid-teens. I was very active and sporty until the back and hips deformities started to deteriorate, this was when the weight started to go on. I managed on a few occasions to lose weight by plain old cutting down the calories and the limited amount of exercise I could still do at the time. I am now extremely overweight (but still not at my heaviest) and desperately trying to stay out of the wheelchair (lots and lots of painkillers etc) mainly so I can still look after my kids (and ex-husband doesn't use it as an excuse to apply for custody).

I can do some exercises sitting down which are great for toning but not for burning the calories off. I have tried dieting again and again and become disheartened as it just doesn't seem to work and lose what will-power I have and comfort eat. I've tried Atkins, Calorie Counting, Acai Berries, Colon Cleanse, Orlistat... the list goes on, nothing has worked.

Well my GP suggested that due to my circumstances, she would be willing to put me forward for WLS and there is an outstanding chance I would be accepted right away. (I live in the UK, so it would be on the NHS and I wouldn't have to pay for it).

Here's the problem, if you are still with me lol:

I am terrified of surgery. Its the only thing putting me off. I had both my kids by cesaerian section - epidural, curtain up, didn't see a thing. I can't even watch operations on TV. I used to watch ER with blinkers on!

How much do you see? What happens if something goes wrong? Are you knocked out for this?

Pain isn't an issue, I am used to it, its just the surgery itself. What advice can any of you give me? If you haven't fallen asleep during reading my post! Apologies about the length!

Last edited by TheTigz; 01-25-2010 at 06:04 PM.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Umm, you don't see the surgery. They completely knock you out. You get knocked out and then wake up all sewn (err, stapled or glued) up and done.

I think you need to look into the different types of surgery, though, It sounds like you rely pretty heavily on pain killers - does that include NSAIDs? Definitely something to consider, as some WLS procedures do not allow the taking of NSAIDs regularly post-op while others do.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #3  

It's like any other surgery - you are not conscious of it at all til you wake up afterwards. They give you lots of painkillers.

Everyone is different - I was at the mall the second day home.

It was my first surgery ever. You can read my experiences on my webpage if you wish.

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

Hi Tigz- welcome aboard! I'm not entirely sure what the NHS covers in the way of surgeries, but i can find out [the internet knows all!!!!]

There's a woman on this forum who has been in and out of a wheelchair, and, as she's a regular poster, i KNOW she'll happily share any information she can [i'm not going to identify her - let's let her tell her own story in her own way]. All i'll say is that she's been WONDERFULLY susccessful, and is up and around and active. and happy. and beautiful. and funny.

and we're completely knocked out for these surgeries - thank goodness!!! I'm with you on the 'not wanting to see a thing!' i don't watch those reality shows, either. EEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

keep researching and asking Qs. we're here to help!

Last edited by jiffypop; 01-26-2010 at 08:31 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #5  

Thank you for welcoming me and for all the advice.

The NHS in the UK is basically free health care for all. None of us pay unless we want to go private. Not all operations are freely offered on the NHS though, ie non-essential ones like WLS and plastic surgery. Its done by referal from your GP initially. It all comes down to how much money your local Health Board has to spend on these kind of surgeries and how in need you are. My circumstances would put me high on the list. Hope that explains it LOL!

I'd love to speak to the woman who has also been in and out the wheelchair and get her thoughts on it, so if anyone sees her posting, please send her my way!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Tigz
I'm that girl! I have CP and use a wheel chair for long distances I had the surg 3 years ago when I was 30 with a BMI of 40 I could barely get out of chairs wasn't really walking around at all
and was in pain a lot!
PM me and I will help you all I can!
You can do it!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #7  

Nice to meet you Kierie.

I have been trying to PM you (I think!) but it says I do not have privileges enough yet? Or am I doing something wrong? LOL
Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

it's the number of posts, Tigz - you have to have a minimum number in order to PM members - and that's because we've been hit with spammers who've actually tried to scam our members.

let me check on the number you have to hit - and get back to you. and then you can start welcoming newcomers in the INTRODUCTIONS forum if you have to in order to increase your postings!

and PS - Kier can press 400 pounds with her legs!!!! isn't that COOL????!!!!!

Last edited by jiffypop; 01-28-2010 at 08:17 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #9  

I think I need to make 20 or wait 20 days or something. I hate it when forums get taken over by spammers grrrrrrrr.

So I shall see where else I can stick my 10 cents in and see if it gets me there lol

Last edited by TheTigz; 01-28-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #10  

OK, I am making an appointment with the doctor next week.

My 5 year old son keeps asking me why mummy has fat legs and a fat tummy and that mummy doesn't need fat legs and a fat tummy.

Ironic, a 5 year old gives me the kick up the butt that I need.

Wish me luck.