Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 11:10 AM   #1  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

Default Surgury for weight loss

Has anyone out there tried or know someone who had gastric bypass surgury? I would never do it but I know someone who recently has and was wondering what she has to look forward to. So far she has lost a lot of weight but I can't help but think this is not a very good idea. It seems like it could be dangerous and unhealthy the way she has to eat now. Not to mention a lot more difficult to deal with than a diet. The things she has to do for her health now seem a lot harder to deal with than just biting the bullet and sticking to a sensible diet. I would like to know more about this so I can understand her decision to do this to herself. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2001, 04:33 PM   #2  

what type of stuff does she have to eat?
if it is surgery that makes the stomach smaller, i would think it would grow larger with time and large amounts of food.

the whole thing just sounds way too invasive for me.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:30 PM   #3  

Unhappy

Weight loss surgery is very hard on the body.... see

http://www.radiancemagazine.com/redline.html

for one woman's story...

AmMen
Old 06-21-2001, 02:20 PM   #4  

Wow AmMen! Everyone should read that story. I'm sure a lot of women have had the surgery and have not had these problems, but, wow, what a story.

Thanks for the info.

231/200/170
Old 06-21-2001, 02:40 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Radiance magazine...

...I used to subscribe to it way back in 1988-1990...a very well-done magazine.

Actually I give reading Radiance (as well as BBW) Magazine credit for getting me (at 265 pounds) out of my chair and exercising. If it wasn't for that, I would have been scared to leave the house except when absolutely necessary.

So - even though Radiance is a 'fat acceptance' publication - it was partially responsible for setting me on the path that I still follow today - now on Body for Life and feeling great!

Oh, by the way - speaking of Weight Loss Surgery - Carnie Wilson has a forum/message board at www.spotlighthealth.com. I have my own views about the effectiveness over time of WLS - reading quite a few stories much like the sad one posted by Amethyst above. In the book "Losing It" by Laura Fraser, she interviewed a couple of people who had the surgery - with terrible results...

Anyway, if you do go to the Carnie Wilson board, you need to take it with a grain of salt. Remember that she is a paid spokesperson for the Spotlight Health group (I'm not 100% sure about that but I have a feeling that she was given the surgery free in exchange for promoting it and even letting the doctors show the surgery via webcam). It has been less than two years since she had the surgery done - from what I've read, the 'bounce-back' that happens with WLS usually occurs after a number of years (say, five). I'm not an expert though so don't take my word for it!!
Old 06-21-2001, 04:12 PM   #6  

I have not had the surgery. I think it is very interesting and I have done lots of research into it. I think it is the right thing to do for many people, but also the wrong thing to do for others.

Weight loss is so different for everyone. What works for me probably does not work for you. I think the key is to find what works for our OWN body and stick with that. Be it low-fat, low-carbs, nondieting, surgery, pills, whatever!

Just my two cents.

Tammy
Old 06-24-2001, 04:32 PM   #7  

Cowgirl- email me if you want.
i will tell you about the surgery and my experience.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:42 AM   #8  
Simply Noble

Wow thanks fo all the input. I did not know if anyone would be interested in this topic. My friend alreaddy had the surgury but I worry that it can't be good for her body. It was the type where they make the stomach the size of a thumb. She can only eat a few bites of food at a meal. She started out on liquids and soft things like mashed potatoes and cottage cheese. She is eating other things now and has lost a lot of weight. She has to take vitamins every day for life to make up for the food she is not eating. She says that she did it for her health but I think it was more for her self immage. She seems to think she will have a happier life if she is thin. I am also trying to lose weight and have so far lost 60# the old faqsioned and (to me) safer way. By using slimfast, watching what I eat and excercising.
Old 06-30-2001, 07:46 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Default More thanks

WOW I'm glad I came to this site to browse today. I plan to check out all of the site you memtioned, and if there are any others, Please send me a Personal Message with the info.

My husband's doctor has just told him that he really needs to have the surgery. I'm terrified of the thought, but then again, if it't to the point where he might die without it.... I don't know it's just really scarry to even think about. He has gone as far as getting an appointment with the surgeon, but undouboutly this is becomming a popular procedure and the first appointment is not until November the 8th. I have been trying to find out all I can about it before he goes.

Tootsie: If I send you a PM with my email addy will you share your experience with me too? I only know of two people to have ever had this, 1 died on the operationg table, and the other was a girl I met one time at the health club and she was estatic about her results, but it had not been very longsince her surgery, and she never came back to the club to my knowledge, so I have no idea whatever happened with her.

Sorry to ramble on like this, but this is a subject very much in my thoughts and prayers at this time,

Thanks to all of you for your imput.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:34 PM   #10  

Cool Weight Loss Surgery

I'm a neurology secretary and one of the physicians in my department had to see a patient who had neurological damage from having this surgery done years ago. Please ask a lot of questions from health care professionals before attempting this! JMHO. I think these patients have malabsorption problems too (digestion difficulties). MaryC
Old 07-05-2001, 03:10 PM   #11  

That is quite a moving story you posted...
Old 07-06-2001, 01:45 PM   #12  

My friend had this down 6 years ago. She is now in perfect health after losing 217 pounds and can eat just about anything. Your stomach will stretch somewhat so that you eat more as time goes by. For her, it saved her life. She just couldn't stick with a weight loss program and got to the point she was overwhelmed by the amount she had to lose. She had plastic surgery after 2 years to get rid of all the excess skin. While it isn't to be entered into lightly, it can work if you have good doctors and keep up with followup medical care and LEARN NEW EATING HABITS.
Old 07-08-2001, 03:16 PM   #13  

A few people that I work with had the surgery. 1 had terrible side effects. Others throw up constantly others are back to eating like there is no tomarrow and are working on gaining the weight back. I read in an article that the surgery should not be done to anyone with a BMI under 40.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:34 PM   #14  
Simply Noble

I just don't get it! Why is it that people find it impossible to learn new eating habits which would have caused them to be able to lose weight and yet they go and (I hope I don't offend anyone )mutilate their bodies after which they find that they have to do what they should have done in the first place? My friend was also frightened ,by a doctor, into having the surgery. If a person is that concerned about their health why doesn't this motivate them to work hard at loosing the weight. I am also sometimes overwhelmed by the ammount I have to loose. I still have 80 pounds to go after loosing 60. I take it one small step at a time. Focus on loosing 5 pounds and when you acomplish that give youreself a pat on the back and work for the next 5. I really do want to understand. Personally I am a person who eats to make myself feel better. I am always hungry even when I have recently eaten. I have noticed that it is not as bad when I cut down on carbs. Thank all of you for your insight on this topic

WOW,I just read that story. I'm sorry it took me so long. I know I'll never put myself through that even if i have to be fat the rest of my life. Thanks for the link!

Last edited by Cowgirl; 07-10-2001 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2001, 05:04 PM   #15  

I totally agree with you cowgirl. I said the same thing when all the ladies at work all jumped on the wagon to have this done. I felt that they chose to mutilate their bodies.
Closed Thread