Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #1  

Default Day 10 and feeling a little nervous

I had my bypass one week before Christmas, and am on Day 10 now. Although I sat with the decision for a long time, I am feeling quite sad that I have had the surgery. I just don't feel normal right now, and I don't know my own body anymore. I had my first soft solid on Christmas Eve - a scrambled egg (best egg I ever had) and did well. But now everything is running right through me (including protein drinks) and I can't leave the house in fear of needing to find a bathroom. I am stressing out about getting enough protein, and water, and when to take my medications - I can't manage the timings of "30 min before and 60 minutes after" and trying to figure out if I am truly hungry..... its all so confusing.......the 15 pounds I have lost since the surgery is starting to look scary, and I am afraid that something is wrong.
Can anyone tell me something comforting.......
ArrowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/198/175

Height: 5'8"

Default ur not alone

First off I want to assure u that you're not alone...many of us have experienced the exact same thing you are going through right now...
I had my RnY on dec 22 and am just 4 days out..and yes its been rough for me but each day brings me renewed faith....from what I have read in my vast research, the first two weeks are the hardest but we WILL get through them.. Its safe to say you thought long and hard about this decision b4 u followed thru with it and now its time to trust yourself...this journey we are on is riddled with ups and downs, good days and bad, and trial and error in finding out which foods will work for us and won't work for us. Like you, I was overwhelmed at all the stuff I had to get in what with supplements, water, protein...Have you tried writing up a schedule for yourself include what time youl have your vitamins with breakfast, what time lunch, dinner. And what time youl get the shakes in...yiu can include ounces there as well to make sure you're meeting your goal. It may help u to see it written out... Ultimately, we will use this pouch as a tool to help us reach our goal of being healthy individuals...the end result will make this all worth it. I have found that during these past 4 days since surgery I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding WLS as well as getting on youtube to watch how others have experienced their journies...the good the bad and the ugly...this forum is an excellent place to ask questions and garner feedback as I have found that the folks here are quite knowledgeable and helpful in sharing or offering encouragement...these tough times will get better...Find comfort in that..I know there are others here that may have more concrete suggestions but I just wanted to stop by and tell u that you aren't alone and we understand
DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #3  

It sounds pretty normal to be honest. You've been on liquids so you'll have a lot of liquid output too.

My best piece of advice is for you to take it easy on yourself. There's a learning curve and a recovery time and things honestly will get better over time. Remember that your water and protein goals are exactly that - goals- and you aren't necessarily going to meet them all the first few days of being home. Just keep pushing yourself a little more. It's not uncommon to have a little of the blues post op - and I can guarantee you that by the time you lose your first 50 lbs you'll be much more perkier and having an easier go.

Good luck to you and email me if I can be of any help!

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

All sounds normal! I know it sucks, but it will take some time for your body to get used to things. You've had your digestive tract altered, so your bowels will take some time to adjust. Erratic bathroom habits soon after surgery is a normal issue (especially diarrhea - liquid in, liquid out!), as are raging emotions - fat stores hormones, so as those fat stores are rapidly depleting, they release extra hormones into your body and *voila!* instant emotional instability! heh, that's also temporary, though. Buyer's remorse - also completely normal.

Hang in there - give it about a month, and I bet you'll be feeling MUCH better!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote