Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Sticking my nose in!

I was told in a "round-about-way" that someone in our church has had WLS recently by my SIL and she suggested that maybe I could talk to this man. She can't stand that I've asked her not to discuss my WLS with people outside of my family. I've never openly discussed my WLS because of the small-town, small-minded environment that I live in. I don't delve into other people's medical health unless they talk to me directly about it. I'm free here on this board to discuss my medical issues because of so many having some of the same issue. But.......I just wanted to cry last night! This fellow that had the WLS (don't even know what kind for sure). He is shorter than me and has a huge gut; I'll bet he is 300# or more. I understand he has a very fatty liver and thus one of the reasons for weightloss surgery. Well, we had a "Becca Cinnamon Roll" party after a night of carols and these babies are as big as a dessert plate and very good. I ate a piece of apple, grapes and 1/2 a banana. No roll for me, carby + sugary icing = tremendous gas,N&V, and weight gain!!! I just happend to catch sight of Mr. WLS man and he was eating on of those gigantic rolls and ate the whole thing. I don't even think that he is two months out!!! I was shocked and so very depressed for him. My DH told me to keep my nose out of it. He saw what I went through as far as reading and counseling before my surgery and he told me the man was responsible for himself! I feel just awful for him! It breaks my heart everytime I see an obese person, because I know what they are going through or headed. I hate it when I'm at a fast food, supermarket, or the mall and see all of these little obese kids and their fat parents. I know where they are headed and it is AWFUL!!!! Just spilling my guts here, not sure what I'm going to do. Right now, I'm kind of angry at him, because he can't possibly be on his doc's and nut's plan. To tell you the truth, I haven't seen him lose a single pound yet. I suppose at some point I will be hearing that WLS isn't a good thing because it didn't work for him.

My DH also ate half of one of those rolls last night and I was not too happy. I didn't say anything just gave him the "look". He has gained 8 pounds back since August. After I said something to him about the guy eating the BIG roll, my DH told me that he noticed that I wasn't as picky as I was at the beginning. I was shocked and asked him why he said that and he told me that it would help him if I would go back to cooking like I did at first and keeping the things out of the house that tempt him. I sat down and started thinking about my way of cooking and what I was cooking. I do have a great variety foods that I cook, lowfat, whole grains, low sugar, but realized that I don't do as much protein as I have and occasionally we do have a small portion of white potatoes and starchier veggies. So, I'm on a tear around here rounding up the kid's snacks and anything white and getting rid of it. Going back to simple meals and offering him more fruits instead of lowfat low sugar baked goods. And that is darned expensive this time of year. Thank God for my DH! So back to the basics! One thing about my DH, if it is on the table he will eat it, so that's my responsibility!

Last edited by nanj; 12-14-2009 at 11:03 AM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

just sending you a quick as i can't post much at the moment. will get back to you later. PROMISE!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

how did he get a whole sweet roll down? im a little over a month out and I can barely eat 1/4 of a cup of anything!
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Maybe the SIL is mistaken?

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-14-2009 at 01:44 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wouldn't say anything. You don't really know for sure if he had WLS .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

I started thinking about what you guys said, so called my SIL and asked her if she knew for sure that he had WLS and she is positive because she had talked to him about the WLS and the affect sugar alcohol has had on "someone" she knew who had had weight loss surgery. She doesn't know what kind of surgery that he had though. I swear to you if there is anything to know, my SIL will know about it! LOL! Its okay, I'm over my anxiety/sad and mad stages now and hope he get his head together soon. Maybe he picked at the roll and gave it the heave-ho when I wasn't looking. I remember him being on the prayer chain sometime in October. SIL told me that he had the WLS to correct some liver problem.....told you she's all knowing. Well not all knowing or she would know what kind. LOL!!! Nicest girl you will every meet, but the nosiest. It is weird, I've been fat my whole adult life and really notice how much people overeat and know that I was just like them.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote