3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Yarn Sales (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/187584-yarn-sales.html)

jiffypop 12-05-2009 07:48 PM

Yarn Sales

Kier my sweet - you asked if yarn shops have after christmas sales, and i just don't know!

the shop in Denville [Nonna's] is having 10% off right now, and i THINK places like Michaels and AC Moore may be having sales or at least you can use a coupon for these things.

OTOH, i've had some on-line suppliers email me with sales.

i'll have to pay more attention! i haven't been buying much yarn because (1) i've been taking a break from knitting [not sure why!], and (2) i have LOTS of stash.

but i went out and bought MORE to make baby shower presents for a friend. she's having a boy at the beginning of January, and i HAD TO GET way too much washable merino. little booties, thumbless mittens, and hats in three colors, and THEN i found that pattern for high top sneakers BABY BOOTIES!!! and i HAD to get more yarn for them.

and my lovely little cat has decided that my stash of wool that i'd planned use for felted socks was actually a kitten substitute. she's pulled them out of their bag, and has carried them all over the house. and she moves them occasionally!! doesn't untangle them or anything - just carries them around!

<sigh>

sorry to yammer on. but this is a NICE YARN to work with!!!

Suzanne 3FC 12-05-2009 08:57 PM

Gosh, I thought it said YAM sales and I was hoping to find recipes in here to take advantage of the good buys :lol:

But speaking of yarn, I recently noticed a new yarn made from possum hair. I can't figure out how they get it. Do they have possum ranches and ranch hands hands that shear them? :?: :crazy:

jiffypop 12-05-2009 10:54 PM

:lol: :rofl: just for you, Suzanne - try cooking the yams, mashing them up, and mixing in some roasted chestnuts.

there - you have a recipe!!!!!!

KO 12-06-2009 12:25 AM

Jiff I'm waiting to find out what my gf is having then I want to make something somewhat easy for her.
Suzanne It's probably that the muscle relaxers have kicked in but when I read Possum hair I was imaging a stylist following a possum with a comb and scissors!

jiffypop 12-06-2009 08:15 AM

KIER!!!! i have some ideas - and PATTERNS!!! >and stash!> we'll have a BONDING moment. involving tea. and nonna's!!!!

nanj 12-09-2009 04:16 PM

Oh yarn!!! I'm taking a class to correct and improve my knitting. I learned to knit by myself and my grandmother told me that I knitted and purl backwards....worked for me all these years, but....This woman does spinning and dyeing of her own wool. I've learned the continental way of knitting and double cast-on. She has the most beautiful yarns, but is very pricey. I'm making a hat and scarf out of 100% Peruvian Highland Wool. It is beautiful, but wool!!! She has this thing that expands out and rolls your yarn into balls. One of the ladies is making a cell-phone cover by combining a silk thread with some "bumpy" wool. I'm using circular needles for the first time instead of three double pointed and it is so very nice. I've got a really uninteresting-patterned shawl going and need to take a break from it. I doubt that I will be able to purchase much from this shop, but she is a wealth of information and very interesting to talk with. She mills her own flour and just sold a very well known florist business in New Albany, Ohio because she was working 16 to 18 hours a day; got restless and decided to do the yarn shop thing. She has a big loom set up in the shop and I am so looking forward to her demonstration of that. Her spinning wheels start around $550.....WOW.

The weather is horrible here. The wind is screaming and blowing about 50 to 60 miles and hour. My lights keep flickering and I just put in a casserole of mac and cheese for GKs. We adults are having chili. I slide all over coming home last night. What the heck happened!!!!! Oh that's right it is December! LOL!!