Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Looking for a vitamin for Bariatric patients you don't have to chew

You know, a capsule or a gel cap. Though I found a gel cap that is for women, my doctor wants me to take something that's geared for Bariatric patients. I just can't do the chewable anymore or EVER want an orange flavored ANYTHING ever again! heheheh

Any suggestions?

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've not taken anything made especially for bariatric patients, and I've never taken a chewable anything. I do take capsules because my brain is convinced they are easier for the stomach to break down since you only have to break through the outer coating, whereas with tablets, you have to break through the entire pill (does that make sense to anyone else?).

I would be more careful with gelcaps. They often include oil in them, and even with a proximal bypass, you may malabsorb some fat. Malabsorbing the fat means malabsorbing the vitamins in that fat, too.

I take everything I can find in capsule form. I take a multivitamin capsule without iron made by TwinLab (I take a separate iron capsule, which is why I chose an iron-less multi), calcium citrate capsules, dry Vit A capsules, dry Vit D capsules...

Is there something specific your doc thinks the bariatric vitamins contain that regular multis do not? I just make sure my multi has a good amount of folic acid, and I take 2 multis per day. Anything else special (like calcium, iron, and Vit D), I just take separately.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey Ange,
My bariatric doc prescribes a pre-natal vitamin for us. Well, it was going to cost me more than $40.00 a month. Our Meijer's store has a free prenatal vitamin by prescription and I had the pharmacist check them out and only real difference was the iron. So, I take the freebies and add a little iron.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

could you check with your doc about what's so special about the bariatric vits? my surgeon said that as long as we take a good quality vit, we'd be OK. PERSONALLY, i've found that i feel better if i take two a day, rather than one.

but from what i understand, as long as you can get it down, it's ok. one-a-days were on our approved list, as were centrums. plus extra calcium, and extra B complex if our levels dropped, plus extra iron if our levels dropped.

i'm a chewable person - i've had too many get stuck. but if swallowing works better for you, GO FOR IT!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I take 2 multis at once (probably should space them) and I buy whatevers on sale Right now Big Bottle of the CVS version of Centrum also 2 fish oil 2 d 1 calcium with friends who come later
and at night 3 iron
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I"m no help. I have to chew my vitamins.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Ang you might want to check out Bariatric advantage. I get my calcium chews from there. I think they might have a liquid
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #8  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

Womens one a day has a complete multiple vitamin that is a powder you can add to your water kinda like a crystal light. Berry and lemon lime flavors. They also have good gummies.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #9  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

I started out taking the chewables and got very fed up with the taste. Also, for some reason they affected my levels, they were low when I had labs completed. I now take Nature Valley Super B Complex and Multivitamin with Iron. The B Complex are petites making it easy to swallow. This particular brand notes that is made for easy absorbtion. I just had labs done about a month and half ago and all was normal except for Calcium levels. I also take Calcium Caltrate, Vit C, Vit E and Biotin to help with my hair.

Last edited by worthylady; 10-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthylady View Post
I just had labs done about a month and half ago and all was normal except for Calcium levels. I also take Calcium Caltrate, Vit C, Vit E and Biotin to help with my hair.
Your calcium was low, I assume? Did you have your Vitamin D level checked? Your PTH? Have you ever had a bone density scan? Low calcium is a very serious concern - please take care of yourself!

And I assume you meant you take Calcium Citrate? Caltrate brand is calcium carbonate and is not as easily absorbed, especially after WLS.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #11  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Hey JillyBean, look at you...I like your pic. Yes I meant Calcium Citrate. No I haven't had a bone density test yet. I have upped my dosage of calcium. I have another lab in December. I hope my levels will increase by that time. I will have to look for another brand of calcium if it difficult to absorb. I got everthing else working...darn yet something else to do. I will try it, do you have a suggestion?
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

JillyBean: Wow! And you look so happy! YGG!!!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

are those COLLAR BONES i'm seeing in your pic, Jilly??!!!??!!! YAY!!!! you look fabulous -
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #14  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Yeow!! Look at you hot lady!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #15  

Have you all heard of "All One" its a powdered vitamine you can mix in juice or whatever. I have taken it over the years off and on. I dont know whats so special about Bariatric vitamins for sure but, I am thinking about using all one after surgery. If you have a minute look it up and let me know what you think about whats in it. I think I ordered from Swanson last time.
BabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote