3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   What are you all drinking? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/180999-what-you-all-drinking.html)

sindurella 09-04-2009 12:44 PM

What are you all drinking?

I have finally weened myself from soda and everything carbonated. At the same time I gave up caffeine. Might as well go all the way huh?

So I have been drinking Gatorade G2, Lipton Iced tea things in Mango/tangerine, and Vitamin Water/Lifewater in the 10 and 0 calorie versions.

Any other suggestions? Crystal Light seems way too sweet to me.

KO 09-04-2009 12:56 PM

I make Crystal Light and water it down a bit
I like the Sunrise
the fruit punch
and the iced tea
also use the 4c sf iced tea
and I'll just make My own tea from Tea bags and splenda
Water with lemon or Lime?
those Fruit flavored sf waters
I had an interesting 1 from the health food store
Ginger lemon
might be a yummy combo to try!!

mamaspank 09-04-2009 01:10 PM

I love a plastic glass full of ice cubes and water with a slice of fresh ginger root. I used to do the ginger root and lemon until I heard how hard lemon is on teeth. And I love the ginger root. Makes the water taste earthy.

jiffypop 09-04-2009 04:24 PM

not sure if you should follow my example, but here goes!!!!

hot tea - with about 2 tsp milk and splenda
dunkin donuts iced coffee with milk no sweetener
water
crystal lite lemonade, iced tea, raspberry - like Kier, i water it down
ummmm. what else? frankly, i try to keep it simple. heck - i try to keep EVERYTHING simple.

doesn't always work, though!

LucyLucyLucy 09-04-2009 06:57 PM

I find thatcranberry juice is quite good, I@v heard it can be good for your bladder too!

LiL PiXiE 09-04-2009 07:36 PM

I've been recently drinking lots of water...but to not makig so boring I also drink Fuze "slendrize" low in calories, no fat, low in sodium, very low in carb and in sugar.

MyGirlFriday 09-04-2009 09:56 PM

How did you go about cutting out soda? I find that my body craves that fuzzy water!
I like Crystal Light too as well as Cranberry Juice.
Never tried the ginger in my water....is that from the produce section of the store?
mgf~:flow1:

LiL PiXiE 09-04-2009 10:45 PM

I'm a BIG soda junkie....that's why I can't JUST drink water. It's sooo boring to me!! lol...it's why I drink the fuze...nevery tried the ginger either. I only do diet soda when I eat out as a treat to myself.

giselley 09-05-2009 03:33 AM

its the sugar, not the carbonation, that is the problem. Gotoraid and lipton ice tea have as much sugar as soda.

Leenie 09-05-2009 06:35 AM

Unless your buying the new Gatorade G2, its only has 25 calories per 8 oz serving, 7 gms sugar. Does Coke really have 39 gms of sugar in one 12 oz can? :eek: over 9 teaspoons of sugar in one can? eeeeeeeeeeeeeew. lol

MyGirlFriday, yes you get Ginger in the produce section ;)

Pixi I like Fuse too, but the banana coconut one... very addicting so I stay away b/c that flavor is not diet lol.

So I mostly drink water, my own iced tea unsweetened, flavored coffee w/sf creamer (today its peach coffee), and once in a while a crystal lite tea.

Leenie 09-05-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giselley (Post 2910823)
its the sugar, not the carbonation, that is the problem. Gotoraid and lipton ice tea have as much sugar as soda.

For many of the folks here, its is the carbonation.

MyGirlFriday 09-05-2009 05:48 PM

So cut out the soda, any thing with carbonation, anything with sugar........OMG this is tougher than I thought that it was going to be.

Why is being healthy so difficult?:cry:

Leenie 09-05-2009 09:01 PM

MGF..... its really not that hard :hug: you can do it !! Now giving up chocolate IS hard.

jillybean720 09-05-2009 11:48 PM

I drink diet soda every day. I have read/heard from multiple surgeons that the idea of carbonation stretching the pouch is only a myth. I find it much easier to take my vitamins with carbonation, and my common sense says it's good to have the additional acid of the soda with my pills since I have less stomach acid now due to the smaller stomach (but again, that's my common sense talking, not an actual doctor).

I just can't drink much soda at a time. I take vitamins 4 times a day, and it will take me about 2 days to finish a single can of soda.

Of course, I would recommend not drinking soda if it causes pain or discomfort, but other than that, I don't think it's really so evil (unless you're drinking regular instead of diet, or if you're drinking so much soda that you're not getting in some healthier beverages). I choose diet sodas with no caffeine and no phosphoric acid *that is the acid that is believed to leech calcium from your body, and it is found in cola-type sodas), so I usually have diet ginger ale or diet orange soda.

Of course, I also drink water (preferably SmartWater for the electrolytes since I have been dehydrated in the past and wish not to repeat it), and I like the new flavors of sf drink mixes lik cranberry lemonade, white cran peach, and cran apple.

mamaspank 09-06-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyGirlFriday (Post 2910641)
How did you go about cutting out soda? I find that my body craves that fuzzy water!
I like Crystal Light too as well as Cranberry Juice.
Never tried the ginger in my water....is that from the produce section of the store?

Since fresh ginger root is the cheapest thing in the produce section, just break off the freshest, least wrinkly bit of the root you want and take it home and slice off a quarter thickness of it and try that with a big glass of ice water. I have to have it in plastic cups. You start to get addicted to the earthiness of the root -- maybe I like that little hint of dirty ginger. It is in the produce section of most normal size markets.

Leenie 09-06-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 2911886)
Of course, I would recommend not drinking soda if it causes pain or discomfort,

Thats the problem for most banded, its the pain.... but not for everyone, I know some banded chicks that can pound em down... beer too :faint: I also think doctors request not drinking it because it falls in the category of "junk food," they want you to break the habit and eat healthier.

sindurella 09-06-2009 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the response. I couldn't reply through my phone for some reason.

wisconsinchick 09-06-2009 10:11 PM

I too was a diet soda addict pre-surgery but managed to give it up successfully ....my post op choices now (13 months out) are: bottled low cal (NOT the diet version) Ocean Spray cranberry grape juice or cranberry raspberry, FUZE slenderize tropical punch, FUZE empower pomegranate acai, a few of the vitamin water choices, skinny water (tangerine cranberry), and Metromint waters (spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint are all great)....when going to work out or going out to restaurants I always bring my favorite drink mix (single serve) of the South Beach Diet "Tide Me Over" protein water mix--the tropical breeze flavor is SO delicious (to me)....I order it in cases and always have sleeves with me...plus it has the protein which helps with the protein count as well as killing some hunger pangs (which unfortunately I have a lot of )...

jiffypop 09-06-2009 10:36 PM

ok = for our guests from other forums - people who''ve had WLS in general are told NOT to drink anything with carbonation, and to NOT drink our calories.

so, the warning here is: read the labels!

and Jilly just pointed out one of hte many differences between duodenal switch and the lapband or RNY. SWITCHERS - probably because they retain a larger stomach as well as their pyloric valves - can handle the carbonation MUCH better than those of us with the more restrictive lapband or RNY or perhasp even the vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

bottom line, though, NOBODY who's looking to lose weight should drink their calories.

worthylady 09-14-2009 10:35 PM

I am so glad to see this discussion about what to drink because I truly crave soda around my cycle and want it. I feel a bit deprived because I can't even sip it and yet I just want a taste. Since I am still newbie to surgery I really try to follow the rules. One day, I plan to have a soda and enjoy it. I don't make it a habit, water, unsweetened tea, Crystal Light mainly is it.

nanj 09-15-2009 12:27 PM

Okay about soda drinking....I do occasionally have a diet soda. But, I have to do it on a empty stomach, out of the ear shot of humans, and it has to be on ice. Why?! I burp like a pig and the ice seems to cut the fizz. If I drink it too fast, it comes right back up like a big bubble of shaving cream or through my nose. (Neither are fun, but would make a great sicko You-tube event) I've read so many articles about sodas depleting your calcium, and if I'm substituting it for my water intake, which I have a hard time with anyway, then I best stay away from it. I also notice that the more things that I eat or drink that have artificial sugars in them cause me to want more sugery things.

KO 09-16-2009 02:23 PM

Nan that's funny I can't have carbonation on an empty stomach or I feel sick!