WLS Patient Personal Info

You're on Page 8 of 10
Go to

Geographical location: Finger Lakes region of NY state

Marital Status: happily single and not looking right now

Children/Ages: no children (ovarian cancer survivor)

Pets: megan (curvy sleek and pretty calico tortie/tux cross kitty)

Hobbies/Interests: painting, writing, drawing, singing, listening to music, dancing, theatre (acting in -- my bachelor's is in theatre arts), playing the viola, reading reading reading, hanging out with distant friends online

Height: 5'5"

Eye/Hair Color: blond/green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/31/2010

Starting Weight: 362

Present Weight: 328

Goal Weight: 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: right now? carb cravings!

Following any specific plan: RNY WLS pre-op behavioral modification lifestyle diet (just like it will eventually be post-op i am told)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: nothing yet -- i am waiting for the weight to come piling back on. i am hopeful that the rny will work to aid me in really dropping the pounds and as a sort of feedback tool to keep it off!

Anything else you would like to share with us: i am working on becoming the me i wish i could one day be inside and out. i have a lot of physical and psychological troubles but these do not define who i am.
  • I figured, since I'm finally getting close, I might as well post a bio!

Geographical location: Central New York

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: No clildren yet, but we're looking forward to them in the future

Occupation: full-time college student, part time computer lab assistant

Pets: 2 cats (Willow and Sadie) and 2 gerbils (Mario and Luigi)

Hobbies/Interests: Music (in so many ways), crocheting, sewing, other crafts

Height: 5'1"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Bottle Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: The day I was born... >.> but seriously, I've always been trying to lose weight.

Starting Weight: 320

Present Weight: 307.2

Goal Weight: 125

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: snacking in the evening and fast food

Following any specific plan: Calorie counting then Roux-en-y sometime in my near future.

Geographical location: Texas

Marital Status: in a relationship (2yrs)

Children/Ages: none yet

Pets: Precious (yorkie-poo)

Hobbies/Interests: reading, crocheting, going to movies

Height: 5'34

Eye/Hair Color: brown/black

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/21/2010

Starting Weight: 274

Present Weight: 237

Goal Weight: 120ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: eating, it still makes me a lil uncomfortable

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: we i have a lot less stomach now and i'm actually working out.

Anything else you would like to share with us: i made the decision to have this surgery on my own & i only told a few about it before i actually had it. i'm looking forward for the weight to keep dropping and for me to reach my goal of 120ish, something i've wanted my entire life.

Geographical location: Nebraska

Marital Status: Engaged

Children/Ages: 2

Pets: 2 Cats (Lily and Lou)

Hobbies/Interests: Fixing up the house, biking

Height: 5' 7"

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Blonde-Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I would like to say my whole life but April 20, 2009 I had a rouyen y gastric bypass - I was supposed to have a gastric sleeve and the doc had issues so they opened me up and here I am today.

Starting Weight: 351

Present Weight: 204

Goal Weight: 165 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I really need to learn to get away from the sugary foods. They make me very ill when I eat them but I still do it. In 2 1/2 years I still haven't learned that I can't have them any more. Plus I have hypoglycemia so it is really not good when I have sugar. I have been as low as 196 but found myself endulging in sweets so my weight went up to 210 - I thought I can't go through all of this again so I am trying something new.

Following any specific plan: Trying Metabolic Research Diet to lose the remainder of my excess weight.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I used to think WLS was the cheaters way out but I have found out it has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. Very difficult to change eating habits but it truly was the best thing for me. I have had a hernia repair, a tummy tuck and feel such much better about myself - better than I have in almost 20 years.

Geographical location: Washington

Marital Status: Domestic Partnership
    Children/Ages: 18-y.o. DD and 11-y.o. DS

Pets: Chaquita (pom-chi princess), Tasha German Shepard, 4 cats

Hobbies/Interests: gardening, reading, and spending time with kiddos

Height: 5'4

Eye/Hair Color: Brown and Gray /Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Birth lol

Starting Weight: 238

Present Weight: 232

Goal Weight: 140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting protein and water

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am putting myself first and foremost...

Anything else you would like to share with us:My goal is to become a healthy fit me!!! I have type 2 diabetes and Fibromyalgia. I want to grow old with my DW and kids.
  • Marc & Marcela
    300 and 245
    NYC

Geographical location: Carolinas

Children/Ages: 2 - Son (10), Daughter (9), Son (5), Daughter (3).

Pets: 1 Dog (A Havanese named Bella)

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, Yardwork, Travel

Height: 5' 4"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Dark Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Lap RNY 8/27/2012

Starting Weight: 245 lbs

Present Weight: 169 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Realizing that although I have had major surgery, I still have no control of my scale

Following any specific plan: Low carb/Liquid protein

Anything else you would like to share with us: Before WLS in 2012, I struggled with weight all of my adult life. I was under the false belief that I would lose weight effortlessly with WLS. After my first 4-5 months, I hit a major slowdown. What happened to the "honeymoon" period? I guess mine was awfully short. I am a perfect case of 100% compliance with the plan that my surgeon set forth, exercising 5-6 times per week, with minimal results at this point. I won't give up. I will go back on liquid protein diet (the same required pre-op) until I reach my goal. I am tired of weight defining who I am. I know that I can maintain once I reach my goal. I am mentally prepared for maintenance. I refuse to ensure another heavy summer where I cannot go to the beach with my family. Drastic measures!!!

Geographical location: Alabama

Marital Status: Married--just celebrated 40 years!!

Children/Ages: Grown daughter and son, 3 granddaughters (8, 6, and 1)

Occupation: Paper pusher is my day job; I also have a home-based business making wax melts, candles, soap, and other scented products.

Pets: 1 Black Cat named SugarBear

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, Reading, Couch Tater (love to watch TV WAAAAY too much--at least I have a TV in my candle-making workroom and can work while I watch). I love to travel but don't get to do that nearly as much as I'd like!

Height: 5' 7"

Eye/Hair Color: Green/Blondish-brown (right now--covered the gray last week)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: VSG hopefully in May or June

Starting Weight: 284 lbs at last doctor visit

Goal Weight: 150 lbs would be thrilling but probably not likely

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: The thing I'm really concerned about right now is not drinking with meals--I drink a LOT (luckily not alcohol)!

Following any specific plan: Not yet

Anything else you would like to share with us: I can't remember a time in my life that I wasn't overweight! I remember weighing 90 pounds in first grade and my best friend weighed 60--but I can remember being "chubby" (the kindest word ever used) even before I started school. I've been up and down and up again all my life--now I'm having health issues for the first time and have to make this work! Also, living in Alabama, I would love to not be hot all the time!!

Geographical location: VA

Marital Status: married 25 yrs

Children/Ages: 1 son and 1 daughter

Pets: 1 dog, 2 cats

Hobbies/Interests: cooking, reading, pastel drawing, genealogy

Height: 5' 2 1/2"

Eye/Hair Color: brown/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Since high school when I thought I was fat, but really wasn't

Starting Weight: 130 in high school (fat, really?) then up to 255, then down to 229 (due to stress--not a recommended weight loss solution), then up to 263, now down to 250. My body likes to be around 250. I've lost and found that magic number a few times.
    Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: exercise and mindless eating

Following any specific plan: I am currently eating healthy--mostly fish and chicken, more fruits and veggies, no soda, sweet tea, or juices, walking

Anything else you would like to share with us: I hate being fat. I would love to be able to pick out an outfit and just wear it without looking like a house. My husband and children do not have weight issues and I hate that I do. I have little self-control when it comes to eating, but have been having better success at making better choices.

Geographical location: Upper Pennisula of Michigan

Marital Status: married

Children/Ages: A few kids. Teenagers and a first grader

Pets: Three dogs and one cat

Hobbies/Interests: reading, swimming, biking, Zumba (one of my new passions. I have so much fun doing it)

Height: 5'5"

Eye/Hair Color: hazel/color red cause there is gray in there now. lol

Date of Surgery: Not scheduled yet. Depending on my insurance hopefully July, Aug or Sept. The WLS Center will send for an approval in July after my next pc doc appt on the 9th.

Type of Surgery: Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1992 its when I got married and I started to see my weight go up and down.

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 309 April 2013

Weight at surgery:

Present Weight: 300

Goal Weight: 165

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: I have hypothyroidism and it makes it difficult for me to lose weight.

Anything else you would like to share with us:

I am currently getting everything needed to be done to have the surgery. (labwork and tests). I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure and a fatty liver. I want to be around for longer and enjoy doing things with my children again.

Geographical location: ON

Marital Status: married 30 yrs

Children/Ages: 2 sons

Pets: 1 dog

Hobbies/Interests: cooking, reading, obsessing about my weight

Height: 5' 7

Eye/Hair Color: blue/grey

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: at age 5 when the neighbourhood chant was "Nora squashed the world, Nora squashed the world!!!".

Highest Weight: 284

Goal Weight: 150ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: exercise and mindless eating

Following any specific plan: just trying to stick to the wls diet

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to be free of this extra weight that is holding me down to the earth. I want to soar as high as my bat wings will let me go!

Geographical location: uk

Marital Status: divorced

Children/Ages: 14 n 2 girls

Pets: 4 cats

Hobbies/Interests: reading

Height: 5' 7

Eye/Hair Color: green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 2008 lapband 2013 waiting for bypass

Highest Weight: 180kg

Goal Weight: 100kg
    Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: failed lapband regaining 7 stone gaining another 5 stone from medication side effects

Following any specific plan: not until surgery

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have mild bipolar, I have struggled with weight all my life so had a lapband lost a lot of weight but regained it when I had a band slippage am now so big I have opted for a bypass instead
  • Hello everyone

Geographical location: Florida

Marital Status: single

Children/Ages: Son-12

Pets: Fish and mini schnauzers

Hobbies/Interests: music, education, church

Height: 5'10"

Eye/Hair Color: hazel/ (Blonde naturally but i often dye to red)

Date of Surgery: Scheduled for March 10, 2014

Type of Surgery: VSG

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: hmm 2000ish

Starting Weight: 376

Weight at surgery: unknown

Present Weight: 376

Goal Weight: around 145

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: time management and remembering to plan out my food in advance
  • about me

Geographical location: California

Marital Status: married

Children/Ages: I have here kids. My oldest is a girl and she's 5, my middle is another girl and she's 2 and my baby is a boy and he's 9 months!

Pets: Frisco, all black Chihuahua. Two Lionhead rabbits, Max & Thumper

Hobbies/Interests: Crafts, diy, party/event planning

Height: 5'8"

Eye/Hair Color: green/blondish brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I can't put a date on it I've been trying to lose, losing and gaining for years. VSG will be 3/2/2014

Starting Weight: 340

Present Weight: 317

Goal Weight: 180

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Stop snacking, no sweets

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Having WLS this time

Geographical location: Indiana

Children/Ages: Grown daughter (28) and 2 sons (32 and 25), 1 granddaughter (2)

Pets: yes, 2 Shitz and 2 Kitties

Hobbies/Interests: Swimming, Sun bathing and gardening
    Height: 5' 5"

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel and Auburn (covered grey)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: LB Feb 12, 2014

Starting Weight: 233.9 lbs at hospital testing

Goal Weight: 150 lbs at least even though doctor says 170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: The unknown

Following any specific plan: thinking about the Fast Metabolism (thyroid issues)

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am sure eventually I will have more to say but right now I am excited to get the party started!