Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 311/272/150

Height: 5' 2"

Geographical location: Missouri

Marital Status: Married

Hobbies/Interests: kids/grandkids, boating, swimming, reading, cooking

Height: 5' 2"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/2/2016 (this time)

Starting Weight: 311 lbs

Goal Weight: 150 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: stress eating or eating more just because it tastes really good

Following any specific plan: gastric sleeve done so low fat protein and low carb

Anything else you would like to share with us: Had to pay for the surgery on my own but decided to use money I had saved for something else to do something for myself after a lifetime of doing for everyone else. Frankly, if I don't lose the weight, I won't be around long enough to enjoy anything else. Lost 43 lbs to date and expect to reach my goal in the next 18 - 24 months. It's still recent so still having trouble eating/drinking but know that will get better because it's already better than just a couple of weeks ago. I'm not hungry so that helps and expect as I can eat more variety of foods that I can start getting creative in the kitchen to enjoy food more than I do right now. It's a challenge to get in the protein and liquid (water) right now. I am still hoping that I will be able to exercise soon on my knee that needs to be replaced but still struggling with walking right now. Tried several things for the pain and a gel shot is up next although I know that isn't guaranteed to help. In the meantime, will just focus on losing the weight to take the pressure off my knee.
gammalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Geographical location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Hobbies/Interests: swimming, reading

Height: 5' 7"

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/6/2016 (RNY surgery date)

Starting Weight: 280 lbs at surgery, 336 lbs highest

Goal Weight: 150 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weight loss: bad habits

Following any specific plan: roux-en-y gastric bypass

Anything else you would like to share with us:
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #138  

Geographical Location: Florida

Hobbies/Interests: Cross Stitch, Reading Science Fiction/Fantasy, Cosplay

Height: 5’ 4.5”

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/ currently blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I’ve been trying to lose for 20 years, but my weight loss surgery was on 12/28/2016

Heaviest weight: 305

Surgery weight: 280

Current weight: 248

Goal Weight: 145lbs

Biggest Hurdle to Overcome in Weightloss: carbohydrates (I love bread items, they are my comfort food, so I am working away from comfort food toward comfort activities. )

Following any specific plan: High protein low bad carbs along with calorie counting

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am more focused and have way more willpower. I have two young daughters and they inspire me to be as healthy as I can be, so I can be there for them as long as I can. I was just taken off my insulin pump after 15 years, so that is also a huge motivator that I can do this and it is worth it!

Anything else you want to share with us? My main goal is to increase my life expectancy. With all of my comorbidities, it is important for me to do this. I intend to get fit enough to be taken off my medications and enjoy life with my children.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 300/188/150

Height: 5"2.5

Post WLS 11/18/2002 - Roux N Y

Had the Surgery @ 300 pounds and was doing well. Nearly hit my century mark. Was working out (water aerobics) nearly every night. Taking online classes (a full-load), and working full time.

My husband got sick with his gall bladded in July and had it taken out with the lap procedure. They knicked his liver. Took 2 weeks to figure out what was wrong. During that time, he developed a flesh-eating bacteria which caused them to have to open him up and abate his entire insides in the front.

He was disabled, so this was an extreme hardship on him. They cut him from breastbone to pelvis, through all his lifting muscles, so he was going to be bedridden. I had never lifted a finger to help him. So I went from doing all of the above to caring for him - for 5 weeks. Had to take off work to do that.

The stress from all this caused my as of yet, undiagnosed completely but 100% suspected MS to flare up so that it was confirmed in November. So within a year of my bypass, I was having trouble walking.

Then there was a change in my work that caused me to lose the job I was working and be reassigned to a different position for 9 months. I stayed there until a similar position opened up in the department I had been working in. All this stress and the MS put a halt to my weightloss and even caused it to start to creep back up.

I had been down to 204 (2003), and through the years I creeped back up to 240-250. However, by the time I met and married my next husband (the trama of ME being sick with a potentially disabling disease was too much for my disabled husband - he wouldn't be the center of attention... I was down to 220 in 2008.

I waffled back and forth between 220-230 for a few years. I am now down to 188.

Long story, huh?
elshabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #140  

Default I had Gastric Bypass

Good Morning:

I'm new to this forum. I had gastric bypass surgery 6 years ago. I have maintained by 80 pound loss but am still 30 pounds from goal. I'm 53 and it is harder to lose at this time in my life. I know what I need to do, I think I need some support though. My goal next week is gym 3 x - water, water water.
Thanks for listening

Last edited by Slipii; 04-14-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Slipii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #141  

name: Debbie

location: Snellville, GA ('burb of Atlanta) I'm actually from the Northern Virginia area, we have lived in Ga for almost 10 years

marital status: married 22 years on Friday July 19th

children/ages: Michael 21, Joey 20 in September, and my baby girl Laura 16

pets: Charley, 3 year old mixed breed, my son adopted him from the pound, and Bubba our 9 year old long haired redneck cat.

Hobbies/Interests: I like to cross stitch, read, and when my weight is more under control I will garden. I'm a die hard Washington Redskins fan and I just love the Atlanta Braves!!

Height: Almost 5' 5"

eye/hair color: brown eyes, and highlighted hair

starting date of weightloss journey: my surgery was January 14th 2002.

starting weight: all time high was 360

present weight: 215

goal weight: not sure, when I walked down the aisle I weighed 200 pounds, I looked and felt good at that weight, but my surgeon says I will probably end up around 175.

anything else you would like to share with us: even tho I had severe complications from the surgery, I can now say it was worth it.
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #142  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Hey jiffypop if you r still around....well me too!

Had my surgery in 2007.. Am doing well except some malabsorption problem. Hope life has been kind to u. Still a yarn hound? Gained about 30 pounds back from lowest weight, but doing well. Well, except getting older every year and not aging like fine wine! Lol!

Geographical location: northern new jersey

Marital Status: never married

Children/Ages: none

Occupation: medical writer and editor; currently Editorial Director of a company that does continuing medical education for MDs

Pets: a spoiled black cat

Hobbies/Interests: music, needlework, reading, swimming, hiking, birding

Height: 5'9"

Eye/Hair Color: brown/dark brown

Date of Surgery: January 29, 2002

Type of Surgery: Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: high school!!!!

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 506 in august, 2001

Weight at surgery: 409

Present Weight: 239 [down 267 since aug/sept 2001]

Goal Weight: 180 or so, although some docs think i should stop at around 200, but one doc wants me down at 150. we'll see!!!!

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: currently having trouble maintaining exercise and stamina

Anything else you would like to share with us:

i had the surgery not only because i was near death [really... a 5 week hospital stay plus 3 weeks in a nursing home learning how to walk again. it was awful!!], but also because i don't want to regain the weight!![/QUOTE]
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote