Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #16  

Hi all...I thought it might also be thyroid related, because I have had mild hypothyroidism for 20 yes and been on synthroid, however I just had my yearly bloodwork and labs and everything is perfect--so apparently I am one of the healthiest fat people out there! Thyroid levels were perfect, cholesterol was 155, no vitamin deficiencies, blood pressure 112/72--even my DHEA levels which are sometimes low for wls patients was higher--so I am at a complete loss... Please keep the suggestions coming--I do appreciate everyone's input. By the way I completely blew off counting anything calories/fat/etc this weekend and even ate dessert twice AND I enjoyed bacon this morning for the first time in over a year and it all was WONDERFUL...back to discipline now! Wisconsinchick
wisconsinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Well, at least you have control over your thyroid issues. That can be really draining, from what I hear. I just got some disappointing news yesterday about my latest thyroid panel myself. My free T4 was significantly below the lowest limit. My TSH was at the high end of normal. My doc thinks it's autoimmune related. My ESR came back higher than the last high one I had and my monocytes are pretty high, too. More wait and see...
Sometimes we better tolerate our time on the wagon when we ocassionally fall off, lol. My current kryptonite is snickers' protein and energy bars. Low sugar, high fiber, very high protein. Deliciously decadent in my opinion, lol.
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 269/255/200

Height: 5/6

Maybe your not eating enough you do need fuel to burn good luck
BAILYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #19  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Original How is the sugar in those?
I'm a big fan of the Atkins PB bars no sug alcohols and 0-1 gram of sugar
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 287/186/160

Height: 5'6"

I lurk here a lot & am not a avid poster .... but wanted to chime in here. If you are working out as much as you say, then those calories you burn can not keep up with the calories you eat, so your body goes into "starvation mode" & holds on to every ounce of fat you have. I say TRY to up your calories ... protein & less carbs & see where that puts you after a few weeks. I wouldn't quit working out like you are because you don't want to lose your muscle mass. Hope you can get a handle on it & start losing soon, it must be so frustrating ... good luck.
Mrs Karen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #21  

Hi..thank you for your comments....that was something I asked about early on and wanted to find out what my 'magic number' .I have actually tried eating more and eating less, increasing protein, decreasing protein, etc and I've been working with 1 dietician, 1 nutritionist, and a PCP, along with the medical doctor in charge at my gym, and they have worked together to figure out what was happening....no changes--I have literally not lost an ounce in 6 months....and no one knows why.....I must have some kind of crazy metabolism/endocrine system that no one can figure out....that's why I am looking for others to see if there are any common factors that can help me figure it out--I have found one other person who has had a similar experience and her demographics are about the same as mine and her doc has no clue either....it is VERY frustrating and I'm so sad that I spent all that money (I was self-pay) and have very little weight loss to show for it.....My only hope is that some driven doc or med student might be curious about how to 'solve' this enigma and take me on as a 'study'.....again, thanks for the support....wisconsinchick
Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #22  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm probably way off base here, but it won't hurt anything to check it out.

There was something about Cushings Disease on Discovery Health the other night. I didn't catch the very beginning, but it contributes to obesity problems and people have trouble losing weight, no matter what they do.

It's got something to do with to much cortisol which causes a bad hormone imbalance. It's more common in men than women, even though it's actually pretty rare.

Anyway, the woman the episode was about spent 15 years battling obesity, which came on suddenly. She counted calories, exercised and did all the right stuff and the fat wouldn't budge. Meanwhile she searched for a solution. After they finally discovered she had Cushings and got the cortisol thing straightened out, the weight came off lickity split.
There is some info here. http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/p...s/cushings.htm
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #23  

Default thanks, shcirerf...

shcirerf....I appreciate you offering that up as a suggestion..I don't know anything about that condition, however I remember early on in my 20s when my internist was trying to figure out my lethargy issues, he put me through some cortisol test where I had to collect urine for 24 hours (but that was almost 20 years ago)....that was 'normal' at the time and he diagnosed thyroid issues (but that was also testing as 'normal' even though I had a huge goiter and even after putting me on high doses of synthroid it still tested the same)...so maybe my 'normals' are way out of wack and the cortisol could be contributing but has been 'hiding' all along...I'm going to go make an appointment with some endocrinologists around here (we've satisfied our deductible) and mention that---because dealing with this is crazy-making...I've done everything 'right' and cannot understand why it's not resulting in any weight loss--I'm still holding at the exact same weight for the past 7 months, no matter what I do.....so, thank you so much...I'll post back on the board when I get test results....wisconsinchick
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #24  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You're welcome. I would have never known anything about it either if it weren't for the tv show.

I think the show was Big Medicine. It's about a couple of Dr.'s who specialize in weight loss surgeries.

Here's a link, http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/big-...a-disease.html
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote