3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Protein Drinks... searching for any that don't make me sick (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/177365-protein-drinks-searching-any-dont-make-me-sick.html)

ladybugnessa 07-23-2009 09:38 AM

Protein Drinks... searching for any that don't make me sick

hi all,

pre-op here. trying out protein drinks. the ONLY one (besides the low carb slim fast or atkins shakes) that doesn't make me hurl is Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel. all the other ones I've tried make me queasy after I sip it down.

any advice or input.... I'm very concerned about getting protein in after surgery...

KO 07-23-2009 09:49 AM

Right now I use Isopure zero carb vanilla and I like it a lot buy it on Amazon its $35 ish for a big container and $1 shipping 1 scoop has 25 g of protein
Unjury chocolate is yummy like hot chocolate. . .its about $20 for a smaller container I've only bought it on ebay b ut you can buy it on the unjury site

Post op I had better luck with soy protein shakes versus whey but thats me
for the premade ones I would pour them out of their container and into a glass b/c flavors become strange post op
I couldn't stand the taste of a can or the atkins "drink box"
That being said I heart Atkisn cappucino flavor. . .the sweetener in that and in unjury don't really agree with me so I stick with the Isopure

bargoo 07-23-2009 10:55 AM

Have you thought about Boost,, Glucerna or Ensure ?

ladybugnessa 07-23-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KO (Post 2839854)
Right now I use Isopure zero carb vanilla and I like it a lot buy it on Amazon its $35 ish for a big container and $1 shipping 1 scoop has 25 g of protein
Unjury chocolate is yummy like hot chocolate. . .its about $20 for a smaller container I've only bought it on ebay b ut you can buy it on the unjury site

Post op I had better luck with soy protein shakes versus whey but thats me
for the premade ones I would pour them out of their container and into a glass b/c flavors become strange post op
I couldn't stand the taste of a can or the atkins "drink box"
That being said I heart Atkisn cappucino flavor. . .the sweetener in that and in unjury don't really agree with me so I stick with the Isopure

ya know, i'm weird. I like vanilla but not chocolate... not so much.

I'm not sure if my doc allows soy shakes. we have not had our pre-op class yet...

I will be sure to ask...

ladybugnessa 07-23-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargoo (Post 2839968)
Have you thought about Boost,, Glucerna or Ensure ?

well i can't find the facts for Boost but Glucerna and Ensure don't meet the requirements. Ensure has 22g of sugar and will probably make me dump. I think Glucerna has 6 but it's only got 10g of protein.

Ija 07-23-2009 12:32 PM

I've never had gastric bypass so I don't know what your needs are, but I've tasted a lot of protein drinks. The best I've ever had by far is the Lean Dessert protein shakes by BSN. There are five flavors, all designed to taste like a rich dessert, but each serving has about 130 calories, 20 grams of protein and 7 grams of carbs. The shakes are a little thicker and include both fast-digesting and slow-digesting proteins. I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for a someone who has had the surgery, but it's worth looking into if you hate the taste of other protein drinks.

By the way, the cinnamon roll flavor is amazing!

KO 07-23-2009 12:59 PM

Nessa Everybody processes different so its basically whatever works for you
Also you can get an unflavored one and add it to other things
Unjury also has a chicken broth flavored one I haven't tried it but some ppl like it
and there's Chike which has more fruit flavors if that helps

ladybugnessa 07-23-2009 01:25 PM

Thanks all.

This is all so confusing and until we have our pre-op class i'm not sure exactly what the doc and the NUT. will want.

Leenie 07-23-2009 02:56 PM

I go to Trader Joe's and get Worldwide Pure Protein Drinks, already mixed in cans. They have a vanilla thats 100 calories/21 gms of protein/2 carbs/1 gm sugar, and another one thats 35 gms protein/160 calories/2 carbs.. the vanilla is good IMHO. Its great for on the go. GNC sells it too.

BillBlueEyes 07-23-2009 03:18 PM

Bon Voyage

Hi Nessa (ladybugnessa) - I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein, but have no reason to think that would or wouldn't be good for your situation.

I just dropped by to wish you well on your journey with WLS. Hope it delivers what you want from it.

SpideyMom 07-23-2009 05:08 PM

Hi, Nessa. My nutritionist highly recommended Unjury, and I totally agree. I got mine from unjury.com, and it came the next day. The vanilla, chocolate, and chicken soup are all very good. And the plain is excellent to add to anything -- soup, pudding, yogurt, etc. You can make up your own flavors of smoothies with the plain.

Good luck! :)

ladybugnessa 07-24-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes (Post 2840453)
Hi Nessa (ladybugnessa) - I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein, but have no reason to think that would or wouldn't be good for your situation.

I just dropped by to wish you well on your journey with WLS. Hope it delivers what you want from it.

hey Bill Thanks so much... since you know what I've tired includng Beck you can clearly see this is my last choice....

ladybugnessa 07-24-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpideyMom (Post 2840634)
Hi, Nessa. My nutritionist highly recommended Unjury, and I totally agree. I got mine from unjury.com, and it came the next day. The vanilla, chocolate, and chicken soup are all very good. And the plain is excellent to add to anything -- soup, pudding, yogurt, etc. You can make up your own flavors of smoothies with the plain.

Good luck! :)

I see a lot of votes for Unjury. I'm going to order some samples...

ch3rry 07-24-2009 10:26 AM

Have you tried Kashi shakes?

ladybugnessa 07-24-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch3rry (Post 2841622)
Have you tried Kashi shakes?

these are the ingredients:

Soy Protein Concentrate, Evaporated Cane Juice, Gum Acacia, Cocoa Treated With Alkali, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavor, Calcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Carrageenan, Chicory Root Fiber, Magnesium Phosphate, Uva Ursi (Bearberry Extract), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Grape Seed Extract, Panax Ginseng, Niacinamide, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Whey Caseinate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Vitamin K (Phytonadione), Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12

and this is the nutrition:
Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 2 Scoop (60g)
Servings Per Container: About 7
Amount/Serving %Daily Value*
Calories 220
Calories from Fat 5
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 120mg 5%
Potassium 520mg 15%
Total Carbohydrate 32g 11%
Fiber 7g 28%
Sugars 23g
Protein 21g 26%
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 50%
Calcium 40%
Iron 25%
Vitamin D 35%
Vitamin E 50%
Vitamin K 25%
Thiamin 35%
Riboflavin 35%
Niacin 35%
Vitamin B6 35%
Folic Acid 30%
Vitamin B12 35%
Biotin 35%
Pantothenic Acid 35%
Phosphorus 40%
Iodine 35%
Magnesium 40%
Zinc 15%
Selenium 25%
Copper 25%
Manganese 70%
Molybdenum 35%

so while it is high in protein, it's way too high in Sugar.

I have to have something that at maximum is less than 9g sugar per serving.