A Question about protien and weightloss

• On my 2 week check up with my surgeon he told me I didn't need to get the 60 to 70 gms of protien that I would be fine with 30 to 40 because that was for people who had to lose 200 to 300 pds. Since doing the lower amount of protien my weightloss has slowed. If I increase my protien will this help excelerate my weightloss. I also do fast paced walking 2-3 miles a day and drink 3-4 16 oz bottles of water and eat 500 to 800 calories a day.

Thanks, Gina
  • Gina, in all of my reading and studies I have found that protein helps with a number of things: Decrease hunger and helps to build muscle. The more muscle you build the less flab you develop and the more leaner muscle helps with how your body holds onto fat. Let me tell you, I don't always hit that 64 g of protein but I work hard to get there. Some days I may only get 30-40 g of protein but most days I reach for at least 60. I can always tell when I need more protein. I feel less satiated. Do you notice that you are more hungry since reducing your proteing?
  • Yes I have been more hungry I think Im gonna just increase my protein anyway. Well actually I already have and I feel better and my weightloss seems to be better now that I increased my protein. Thanks for your help, I guess I just needed to hear it from a fellow GB friend
  • Keep up the protein girl. I've never heard a doctor say that before... strange. Some times to low calories can stall weight loss as well.

• Thanks Leenie,
    About the calories,I'm not sure how many to eat or what I should aim for is 500 to 800 not high enough?
  • your doc's protein recommendation is on the low side of what i've seen docs telling their patients - so if upping it works for you, then go for it! just don't go NUTS to about 100 grams - OK?

as for the calories, my suggestion is to not worry about them - as long as you're not hungry, and not munching, and still struggling to get your protein and water in, and still losing, then just relax.

there will come a time where you'll have to make some changes, but since you're not very far out from your surgery, i don't think the time is right to worry about that stuff.

now i, on the other hand, HAVE to deal with it - i forgot to eat lunch, adn decided to have three cookies instead!!!!! not real bright!
  • Wow Jiffy,
    Thanks for your info it makes me feel better. And about the 3 cookies, it may not be the best choice, but it is better than 10 cookies or a bag of cookies. I think your are doing fine for being 7 and a half years out.
  • Quote: I think your are doing fine for being 7 and a half years out.
    Me too.... she's one teriffic lady and she's just full of life and love.

• 1200 calories is the minimum!!! I used to limit myself to 800ish but once I upped it I actually started to lose MORE weight, because your body thinks it is starving and stores the fat
  • you're making me blush, girls!