Gastric Bypass Help..PLEASE

• Hi everyone. I have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight. I weigth 265 and currently get thru the days is getting harder and harder. I am not saying I am going to "end it all" or anything, but the exhaustion from being so depressed is slowly killing me. It has been almost 10 years since I gained all this weight, I have no social life, no love life and I can not go on this way.

To make a long story short, can you please tell me your experiences with gastric bypass surgery? I have a consult next week because it is 100% covered by insurance. I was hoping for the lap band, but that is not covered.

Do the pros outweigh the cons????

Thanks
  • I've seen a lot of ones fail at the gastric bypass because you don't stick to new eating habits and then stretch the pouch back out and your back at square one. (See Ron on season 6 biggest looser thats running currently. 400lb failed gastric bypass) My friend did that. Now she wants lapband and went to my lapband surgeon and he said no. Said it would be hard to find a surgeon to touch her you basically only have 1 shot at weight loss surgery. She was devastated. She's had lipo twice recently and gained all the weight right back. She's a mess and just can't change her eating habits. Looking back I could have lost this weight in this amount of time (I've been banded 9 months now) with out lapband if I wanted to. My work covered it, had it done at the hospital I worked at at the time. So I don't regret it. And I told all my coworkers I was having it done so I had the pressure not to fail. I've seen a lot of lapband failures too. Since I told everyone and then went through the risk of surgery I just knew I couldn't fail. Hope this helps you in some way.
  • I say you sure you want to go through with that? 265 is not that bad- I bet you could do it on your own!

Like Melody said you can fail at this if you don't learn better eating habits and so on, sure this thing helps a lot- but if you continue to eat the way you do eventually the weight will come back on. I've seen it happen, heck even Carnie Wilson had the surgery done, lost a ton of weight, then gained it all back.

Don't go into this thinking it's an "easy solution" and ask questions! I've found people who say they didn't realize that they'd have to take vitamin supplements and so on after the surgery.

Good luck.
  • Would I do it again...YES....Do I follow doctors instruction...YES....WLS is a tool, not a remedy. The supplements I take for the rest of my life have actually made other parts of me more healthy. I am over two years out. If you are not good at sticking to things, then it is not for you and you will gain your weight back. Fortunately, there are things that still do not agree with me, not many. I don't overeat. Mind over matter. All in what you more in life.
  • WLS is not a cure all or "the easy way out." It's a lifestyle change, and for it to work, you have to stick by its guidelines. 265 isn't really that bad; I've seen folks that had WLS that weighed considerably far more (myself included; I have the lap band--my starting BMI was 62.2 before surgery!).

I also say research, research, research. Ask questions, visit websites (Obesity Help is a GREAT resource), read books, whatever it takes. Make a list of questions to take to your consultation. Furthermore, remember this is not going to be an overnight process; a LOT of pre-op testing and evaluations are going to be involved to be sure you are able to withstand-and are indeed a candidate- for WLS
  • Well - I had my Rxy 2 months ago, and I am down 67 lbs...so far... I would say that the first month or 6 weeks was hard for me. But now, that I am 2 months, it has gotten easier. You can do this! I started at 329 lbs.. I was not happy either. But after the weight goes, happiness has a whole new meaning. You will get lots of supporters here who have has tons of experience. Good luck to you
  • Losing weight won't necessarily change your depression, nor get you a social life, nor get you a love life. If you are depressed, you need to deal with this through counselling with a professional. Surgery is not the answer for this.
    You also need to have a record of sticking with a diet presurgically before most surgeons will consider it. So your head needs to be in the right place.
    Why not address your depression, make some dietary changes, then when your head is in a better place, consider surgery? Surgery is a great option for many and has made a great positive change in their lives.
    I am worried that you might wind up with surgery, still be depressed and have no social life/love life and will still be exhausted from the depression, and won't be able to manage a post-surgery lifestyle or diet.
    Best of luck,
    Kira
  • I agree with Kira...the surgery can fix that body but it can't fix the brain. Depression is a physical state that has to be addressed in counseling and possibly with medication. I get that when you are locked in a body that seems to be fighting you doing those things that make you healthy, it's like carrying a weight around your neck that weighs done your very soul. You are NOT alone! Even if you are embarassed or too tired to get out and socialize you are not alone...you have us!

I was in counseling for "why I eat" for a year before my actual surgery date...found that I was using food as a coping mechanism to cover for my abuse history. If I hadn't done all the work I did on that subject, i would have had surgery and then went right back to where I was...depressed, miserable and fat.

I did everything I could to make this surgery work...I worked HARD to get my insurance to pay for it, I worked hard to do exactly what my surgeon wanted me to do...I exercise, eat well, continue to do my counseling so I DON"T throw this chance away at better health, a better life!

Be prepared to literally and figuatively WORK YOUR BUTT OFF! You, my friend...like all of us, deserve it! Deserve that best life has to offer....get off the couch, go for a walk...then call a counselor, a surgeon and see where the path outside your door could lead!!

Angela
  • Hi Lisa!!! glad you found our little corner of the world. As these other posters have said, WLS is not a quick fix, and it's not the magic bullet we all wish it were. BUT, it gives us a second chance - and that's a good thing. but it won't work if we don't change our relationship with food, and the reasons we eat.

it takes work - and it's not about whether you ate 50 calories of chocolate instead of 50 calories of protein.

research - ask questions - research some more - ask more questions. whatever decision you make, go into the process with your eyes wide open. there is a risk of complications and death - as with any surgery. make sure your surgeon has a good track record.

as for me, i should have had the surgery a few years before i did. it takes work. but it's given me my life back. and one of the BIGGEST reasons i had the surgery was NOT to lose weight. it was to REDUCE THE RISK OF REGAINING IT. now, of course i can regain it [and i have gained some]. BUT for the first time in my life, following the rules helps me LOSE it. again. and that's what i wanted.

i know why i've gained, and i know that i can lose it [and have, in fact, lost some of it].

hang out with us, Lisa - there's lots of info around here- the good, the bad and the ugly. and we'll always give you our honest opinions.
  • Gastric Bypass.. thanks
    I appreciate all your responses... To answer a few concerns of yours. I am depressed because of my weight and I am on Zoloft for that. I have been on it for a while... years actually. Losing weight will change my life for the better and I have all my pre op appts next week (Nutrionist, Physical Therapy, etc.)

I will let you all know how it goes. I would love to hear how you you are doing now. Did you lose lots of hair? Vomit a lot?

Thanks
  • Sounds like you have things well in order, Ms Lisa! I hope things go well for you, and there are some great stories on this forum with alot of positive results for lots and lot of people. Let everyone know how it goes for you!

Kira
  • Thanks!
    i reallllly appreciate all your support. I have always turned to this site when trying to lose weight. I have talked to lots of people and the only thing they have said about the Bypass is they wish they did it SOONER!

There are risks I know... But I just can't go on this way. I also know it's not an easy way out. But, I have tried WW, SLim Fast, Jenny, La Weight, Nutri System etc. The years are only going by...

I feel like living the life I want is worth the risk... any other personal stories I would LOVE to here. I also live in Woodbridge, VA so if anyone wants to talk me in the area (coffee, etc) please let me know....
  • I agree
  • OK, so I would TOTALLY have coffee with you, but I live miles away. And I've never had the surgery, but I support the idea completely! And you sound completely awesome! So there!!!
    Keep your chin up, and you'll be just fine!
    Kira
  • Hi Lisa,

Some may have failed in Gastric Bypass Surgery but, like what the others say, your success on it wholly depends on you. Gastric bypass surgery is where your lifestyle change starts. It needs a lot of discipline, motivation, and resistance to temptation. If you are fully determined to lose weight, then you may go for gastric bypass surgery and be ready for a lifestyle change.

On your consultation, do ask a lot of question - things that you might have conflicts later on, restrictions, expected result, etc. This will help you decide on it. Listen to your doctor and understand everything he/she says (some have the tendency to just say yes because their mind is fixed on having the surgery done but don't really put in mind what the doctor says). It is really important to understand everything about gastric bypass surgery and how it works so that it will be easier for you to follow the procedures.

If you need support for the surgery, you can always count on us here. Best of luck!