Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default Learning how to chew...lol

One thing this board has helped me realize is if I dont learn how to eat better pre-WLS I will be miserable after.
I eat way too fast, take too big a bites and I dont chew enough, and it tends make me sick to my stomach NOW I can't imagine the **** I will be in post-WLS. I also need to learn to eat SMALL servings more times a day
The other thing I am dealing with is drinking water, I forget to drink small amounts during the day then down a Quart in one go, I know if I do this afterwards I will throw up or hurt myself. I am trying to keep a bottle of water with me at all times and take little drinks at a time.
Has anyone else ran into this pre or post WLS?
For those of you who are post WLS do you have to work at it alot?
Just wondering

Last edited by SpookyXXL; 01-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #2  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

BTW I told my BF that i needed to learn all that and now he coaches me (I perfer calling it coaching to nagging) and says Honey you will make yourself sick and babe go slower I dont want you to get ill.
I think it is sweet.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

You're wise to think about this now because we all know bad habit die hard.

When you, make it all you, so you're not distracted. Then you can think about you bites. If you have your sweetie BF there to talk to, that's great. Cut or scoop out very tiny bites and chew carefully so it's almost like paste before you swallow. Put your fork or spoon or hand-held food down after each bite and don't pick it up until you have swallowed and are ready to put food in your mouth again. Taste the food as you chew it. That helps keep eating enjoyable. Sometimes now I feel like it's more of have-to thing, which I guess is okay since I want to just eat to live and live to eat. Honestly, I didn't practice much-bad me-but after my band it was like-yeah this hurts if I don't do it right.

I'm still having a bit of a problem with water because I can't gulp it like I used to. But I think most days I'm pretty close.

I thought giving up pepsi would be more of a problem for me but I'm happy to report it's not.

I suspect I'll be working at this awhile to undo a life time of bad habits. But I have to say, after watching my family eat at Christmas-normal size people, I'm happy I didn't eat as much as I did last year!

It's wonderful your BF is so supportive. It will help you tons. He must be a great guy!
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

not sure whether to laugh or cry, Spooky!!! your post was SOOO familiar! Let's start with a simple Q: how big is a small bite?

yeah - i had no idea, either. and no one at the surgeon's could or would tell me. SO, here's what i figured out and worked for me: small bite = size of my pinky nail [WITHOUT WRAPS!!!!]. bites that size worked reliably for me, especially at the beginning. and then chew it to mush.

pre-surgery, this chewing doesn't matter, but afterwards - OMG!!!! and you'll know you did it wrong almost immediately. i guess that's the good thing about the surgery - you know REALLY FAST if you've done something you shouldn't have.

as for water - just sip a lot. i had to keep a log of protein and water. my desk was LITTERED with sticky notes for MONTHS. a little pathological, maybe. but it worked for ME!!!!

keep the Qs coming!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #5  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Ok I am three weeks post op. Let me tell you, you will know if you have eaten to fast or took off to much while chewing. I tried to cut up a piece of turkey breast...way to dry. It got caught I almost chocked and it resulted in me throwing up. So needless to say, chew slowly and small bites are a must. I am still learning to slow down. As a matter fact I got to eat breakfast....
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Yes, I have a problem learning to chew down enough. and I am always thirsty and want to chug my water, and can't.... It bothers me that I cannot just eat and drink like normal... i dont mind small portions,,, but hate the chewing and sipping... yikes....
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Chewing and sipping become second nature after time...and yes, after surgery, you figure out what is too big a bite or if you eat or drink too fast...your pouch yells at you or rejects it all together.

Try eating with a baby spoon or a shrimp fork...cut all your food before you eat it into the "pea sizes bites"...don't eat and do something distracting like watch tv or the like, focus.

As for practicing the water sipping. Take a large bottled water and put it in the freezer...as it melts sip it! It's hard to do! lol

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 03-18-2009 at 01:16 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #8  

I have been read a book about health said eat way too fast, take too big a bitesdont chew enough is not good for you stomach, so from now on you should eat slowly and chew enough.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote