Gastric Bypass, 2005

• Hello everyone. I am currently 25 years old and weigh 185 pounds. I had the gastric bypass December 22, 2005, with a starting weight of 305 pounds. I am 5'8, so although I was quite large, I did carry it a little better than some. After the first year and few months, I went down to 165 pounds. I was happy with everything and worked out regularly. I never went to any of the support seminars, because I worked and was a student at SDSU. I felt at the top of the world. I needed some skin removed but wanted to wait until after having children. I felt that with this new birth of my life, it would be easier to find the love of my life and obtain all my goals. I paid 100% for the surgery, as I didn't have medical and I didn't have any health problems. I am still paying for it until next December. My surgery was a great success, minus throwing up, I had no complications. I never got hungry and was happy to be thin. Now, however, I am coming to terms of reality. I have been depressed since my move and very bored. I sleep and eat whenever I am not working. My husband is in denial and thinks I am just perfect. I have gained 20 pounds back of what I lost. I am pretty tall and somewhat athletic, so I carry my weight well, but I need to lose the weight, so when we have a child, I won't become supersized again. I feel so alone and desperate. My husband is 5'7 and 140 pounds, so he has never had a weight issue and thinks I should simply stop eating. He eats two hearty meals a day and is very energetic. I tell him, that I am not hungry, but yet, I continue to reach for the cookies and chips. Japan has a lot of hardships, because I don't really like the food. That leaves me with rice, bread, and sweets. I feel even worst since I am in a sea of thin people. I recommend the surgery for those that desire it, but also recommend joining a therapy session. Emotional eating is so difficult to overcome. I have decided to blog and try to get full on water whenever I feel hungry, so I won't eat.

• Boy my heart goes out to you sweetie, I can only imagine how you feel out there "in a sea of thin people."

You gave some excellent advice. Please don't feel alone, you've found us we'll be there for you.

• Hello and welcome. So the surgery fixed your tummy, but not you head....um, that sounds so familiar. Why are you depressed and what can you do about it? I can't really offer you any advice except to try and get into some kind of support group or therapy. I can overeat if I'm depressed, tired, bored, happy, sad.......let's face it I can overeat anytime, you are not alone. I don't know what kind of food you like, but surely there has to be more in Japan besides cookies and chips. Try to think of it as a new adventure and see what you find that will be nutritious and WLS friendly. I use a rice cooker about three times a week, but hardly ever for rice. Don't compare yourself with the Japanese people, because at 5'8" even at a healthy 165# you are going to seem "big". But, you are not!!!!! Even at 185# you aren't big, but you are on a very slippery sloop here. Get up and get moving. At your age and place of life, things should be an adventure if you will let it. Please don't think I'm harsh, because I feel for you, but you got to get up and get going and away from the food. Good luck to you! We are here if you need to talk
  • Welcome drakehewin,

I have not had the surgery yet, but I had been there. Try to get some distraction from food. Have you been in Japan for long? Do you know the language? Why not trying to learn it to keep your head away from thoughts of food. Do you have any park close to where you live? Go outside and do not stay home! If I were in Japan and the Otaku that I am, I will be in every shop buying mangas LOL. You said that you do not like the food in Japan. If you do not cook your own food why not trying to do so now. Try healthy recipes that you would like to eat. We are here if you need us!
  • Welcome how long have you been in Japan.
    First you need a hobby to keep you away from the food! its hard to knit/crochet and eat.
    I'd imaginei there are some groups either for WLS or just for meeting people in the area. . .Does Japan have Meetup.org?
    Or take a class Oragami would be awesome!
    Bottom Line it's a quick trip to 305 and you'er worth more than a cookie
  • Welcome and glad you're here.

I'm sure it's hard being so far from home. Definitely come on whenever you need some support.
  • Thank you so much for the helpful and supportive comments. I am trying to heed everyones' advice. I am looking for more WLS foods and a hobby. In America, I played the guitar and hung out with my dog, but here it is a little more difficult to find things to do because of the language barrier. I appreciate everyone and will keep you posted on my progress. However, reading other stories and feeling not alone, helps me feel a little less depressed and more hopeful on getting better.