Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #16  

Hi Spooky,

Love your paintings - that's exactly how my knee feels sometimes!

I really, really think you need to be honest with your docs about the bulimia, even if you've got it under control when you see them. Like Angela said, it could impact your health in a huge way after surgery.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #17  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolose728 View Post
Yea.. definitely find those measurements. I know when I first did the whole lose weight thing back about 2 years ago, I weighed 320. there was a month I didn't lose anything in scale pounds, but I lost a lot of inches from all over.

Have you tried that arm cycle thing for exercise? I'm not exactly sure what it is called, but you sit down, and spin pedals using your arms.

More water you drink, the less water weight you have so keep on chuggin' that h20 down! Body goes into save every ounce of water mode if you don't drink enough, hence gaining the water weight.

Beautiful pictures by the way. Can't really tell, is it charcoal?
Colored pencil over acrylic paint
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #18  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have to agree with the other posters that say you need to be honest with your physicians about your bulimia. There are many reasons for this, including the high risk of post operative complications for those with bulimia and the fact that, for patients with a history of eating disorders (even those whose eating disorders are under control at the time of the surgery), the surgery can re-trigger the bulimia and cause further issues.

There are reasons that active eating disorders, like bulimia, are exclusionary conditions for Weight Loss Surgery. Fooling your doctors by lying about your symptoms and disorder isn't going to do you any good and can seriously endanger your health.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #19  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
There are reasons that active eating disorders, like bulimia, are exclusionary conditions for Weight Loss Surgery. Fooling your doctors by lying about your symptoms and disorder isn't going to do you any good and can seriously endanger your health.
I second, third, and fourth this! I know when you really want the surgery, you don't want anything to stand in the way. I also know what it's like to feel like you can control something yourself. But going through with the surgery when you have not fully resolved this issue (and by that, I don't mena you just stop doing it again temporarily, but that you really examine the root of the problem) can cause even more (and more serious) issues in the future. You need to take care of yourself
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #20  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I second, third, and fourth this! I know when you really want the surgery, you don't want anything to stand in the way. I also know what it's like to feel like you can control something yourself. But going through with the surgery when you have not fully resolved this issue (and by that, I don't mena you just stop doing it again temporarily, but that you really examine the root of the problem) can cause even more (and more serious) issues in the future. You need to take care of yourself

In this case I actually do know where it is coming from, in stead of the old "I am not good enough" feeling like I use to have. this time it is just the fear that I am not losing weight. Until last week I did not feel compulsive about it and as soon as I did I knew it was time to control it. the first time I realized I had said to myself "I can eat that cause I will just throw up." is when I stopped.

I have mentioned it to my dr, I had it controled for 22 years and if I can't keep it under control by will power I will tell him again.
the main thing is it is promoting me to eat small portions... last night I went to IHOP and had grilled talapia, broccolli and grilled potaotes without sauce. I made myself eat very slow and no desert. We went to Target and I thought of buying this thing of valentine fudge I was lusting after but passed it up for a small bar of cinnimon chocolate and only ate half.
If I can't keep this up I will be worried about a lot more than just tossing my cookies.

Like I said if the compulsion keeps up I will tell my surgeon again.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

Just wanted to say that your paintings are BEAUTIFUL- You're really talented!

And also- what Jilly said (above)- Please take care of yourself- you deserve to get better! Do whatever it takes.
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #22  
Old Cackler

geeezzz spooky this sounds very serious. but darlin, i think you really need to tell your doc about the pain -doing this surgery on someone with an active ulcer is asking for trouble. BIG trouble. What will probably happen is that they'll focus on healing the ulcer and then schedule the surgery.

i'm begging you here - please get the ulcer checked. and consider telling the doc about the bulemia. but the priority is the possible ulcer.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #23  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Hey Spooky I am glad to know that you were able to use our little family as a place to express your concerns. At least you are talking about it here and telling your close friends. However, I do agree with the rest of the bunch. I am concerned about your health and how bulimia can effect you post op. Do you paint when you feeling down? It seems like great therapy for you. I usually write poetry when i am feeling perplexed. You do sound down, which sounds like its linked to your bulimia. Are you treating the depression?
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #24  

I'm at the end of my nutrition appts for surgery and I completely understand how stressful it is. I was a wreck trying to get through mine just without gaining weight. I'm so glad you posted here because you know so well how important it is to talk to someone about this. Your artwork is so amazingly beautiful. You are truly gifted, take it from someone who can't draw stick figures. Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

Laura
BrighterPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #25  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
geeezzz spooky this sounds very serious. but darlin, i think you really need to tell your doc about the pain -doing this surgery on someone with an active ulcer is asking for trouble. BIG trouble. What will probably happen is that they'll focus on healing the ulcer and then schedule the surgery.

i'm begging you here - please get the ulcer checked. and consider telling the doc about the bulemia. but the priority is the possible ulcer.

I haven't thrown up in 4 days and my stomach is much better, I am also eating much smaller meals more often and while i still have a problem with stomach gas ( as opposeed to intestinal) it is getting better, when i finish the diet at the end of march they are going to schedual a complete scope of my GI tract. Hopefully by then the ulcer or start of one will be better.
If the pain does not go away completely before my next visit on the 13th of march I will tell my GP about it and ask for something to help, for now pepto helps and most of the time I have had stomach problems that is what they prescribe, a bismuth regiment.
Right now we are having storm after storm and I am dealing with knee pain so the last thing I want to do is throw up, i just wish I could face climbing the steps in the pool or the hot tub at my gym much less walking all the way to the back and into the pool. there is no point of complaining to my dr about it cause the fact is if I dont lose weight nothing they can do except pain releif is going to help and they are very leary of perscribing strong meds.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #26  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Well I had a lovely trip to the emergency room because they thought I had a blood clot, my left knee was killing me and I had shooting pains down my leg and spasms in it and sometimes my entire body.

After many many tests it ends up I have Arthritis... shocking huh. It has progressed to teh point of being a compression fracture, my weight is litterally compressing the bones and he says it wont be too long before it starts chipping off peices. Until them pain meds, and praying for WLS and that it ends up good for me. I am taking one vicadin at night and trying to save the percoset for emergencies like when I think I need to go to the hospital, which wont happen til I have surgery or I am bleeding out of my ears which ever comes first. I was so embarrassed at one point I litterally though Please let there be something wrong so I dont look like an idiot again, no such luck...LOL no I am just an idiot. At least hopefully they can use the x-rays taken for the reveiw of wether they are going to allow my surgery or not.

I am still scared of the possible side effects of the surgery and how i will look but now it is likely this newest pain is NOT going away, it is here to stay and so I am on a cane now but it could soon be crutches which I hate or a wheelchair which I just can't deal with thinking about right now. I am scared I wont lose enough weight for them to accept the 6 month diet, I am scared they will say do another 6 months and I dont honestly think I have 6 months left in my knee at this point at this weight. I can barely exercise because every step even in the pool is **** and I am feeling so weak from the pain. One good thing is the Vicadin tends to make me not so hungry and I dont want to cook much. O cooked a chicken last night and have just slowly been picking at it. So maybe I will lose some weight after all.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #27  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Spooky um to be a bit Pollyanna The knee/arthritis Might speed up yoru time as it's a co-morbidity.
http://www.chairaerobics.com/Chair_A...e_-_Store.html
I ahve had a lot of luck with the chair boxing DVD
I have CP and now Bone spurs and other lovelyness
Probably osteo arthritis in my feet
This is a great workout if you want to try it out
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #28  
domestic diva, no ironing

S/C/G: 276/268/150

Height: 5'8"

I also have bulimia, and I have royally ****ed up my throat. The acid erosion burned holes in my esophagus, which then covered with scar tissue, so I have problems swallowing and making my food feel like it's going down. I explained this to my GI doctor by saying that I used to have terrible migraines that made me throw up constantly (which is true.) I just didn't tell him that I didn't mind.

Anyway, your doctors will know, and most of the time, depending on how well-versed with eating disorders they are, they will know when you last threw up and how often you are doing it. So be careful.
newlyfatnewlywed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #29  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyfatnewlywed View Post
I also have bulimia, and I have royally ****ed up my throat. The acid erosion burned holes in my esophagus, which then covered with scar tissue, so I have problems swallowing and making my food feel like it's going down. I explained this to my GI doctor by saying that I used to have terrible migraines that made me throw up constantly (which is true.) I just didn't tell him that I didn't mind.

Anyway, your doctors will know, and most of the time, depending on how well-versed with eating disorders they are, they will know when you last threw up and how often you are doing it. So be careful.

I haven't thrown up in 5 days and the longer I go the less I want to. I still get the sick feeling in my stomach but I am riding it out and taking pepto and it is getting better. If it is not all better by my last (hopefully) diet appointment on the 13th of march I will sk for them to check for ulcers, but I am hoping that it will take care of itself with better eating and bismuth treatment.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #30  
Old Cackler

holding onto hope for you spooky!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote